• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

LawDawg740

Thanks for the detailed reply! In terms of going off-base I was specifically referring to weekend days; I figured you can't leave any other time. (My wife and I have a 5mo baby at home so she would come down to Newport for an afternoon if/when we're allowed liberty.)

Last question I think: what was PT and/or the PRT like?
Ah, I see -- Its possible, but it can change on a whim pending on the class team. One of those things that makes it hard and was a pain for a lot of people trying to do similar things.

PRT -- we had two. One at the end of week 1 as a diagnostic, one closer to Week 5 that was for record. Very standard PRT by the books (PRT/PFA being used interchangeably here, I'm still getting use to the acronyms myself). As far as normal, daily PT, don't expect too much. I can count on one hand the number of times we PT'd as a class. This is just because of scheduling things and can fluctuate for each class, but plan on PT'ing in the evening/weekend/own time to actually improve your score. I increased mine pretty significantly just by doing things 4/week on my own. Plus, its nice to get out of King Hall for a bit. You'll see why soon enough lol.

What is the time frame from the ODS application to getting selected (on average)? I am trying to gauge if I could do it this year.

number9

Contributor
What is the time frame from the ODS application to getting selected (on average)? I am trying to gauge if I could do it this year.
Do you mean specifically getting into an ODS class? If so, I'll keep you posted, because I just requested a class slot last Friday.

Do you mean specifically getting into an ODS class? If so, I'll keep you posted, because I just requested a class slot last Friday.
Yes, I wanted to know how long it takes to get the orders once the request is made, and whether it is a guarantee once you apply (assuming there were empty slots at the time you applied).
Also could you briefly explain what the process was? Not sure if it varies by NOSC. I looked at the checklist given to me by the NOSC, and realized that I did not meet all the criteria yet so I have not applied yet.

number9

Contributor
Yes, I wanted to know how long it takes to get the orders once the request is made, and whether it is a guarantee once you apply (assuming there were empty slots at the time you applied).
Also could you briefly explain what the process was? Not sure if it varies by NOSC. I looked at the checklist given to me by the NOSC, and realized that I did not meet all the criteria yet so I have not applied yet.
I believe you can request it through your NOSC but I requested my slot through my unit's training officer. I only requested a slot last week so I haven't heard back yet. When I do I'll post here.

In order to attend ODS I'm told you need a GTCC, access to DTS, and access to NROWS - all of which makes sense when you think about it.

Last edited:
I believe you can request it through your NOSC but I requested my slot through my unit's training officer. I only requested a slot last week so I haven't heard back yet. When I do I'll post here.

In order to attend ODS I'm told you need a GTCC, access to DTS, and access to NROWS - all of which makes sense when you think about it.
So they handed me this checklist (page 10, link below) and I am not sure about bunch of items. Did you have to go through this?
I already have GTCC, DTS and NROWS access but no sponsor has been assigned.

https://www.navyreserve.navy.mil/Portals/35/Documents/Reserve Instructions/CNRF/1120.3A.pdf?ver=-42LXXiuOzRBNhPmAr0Ikw==.

number9

Contributor

TheClyde

So they handed me this checklist (page 10, link below) and I am not sure about bunch of items. Did you have to go through this?
I already have GTCC, DTS and NROWS access but no sponsor has been assigned.

https://www.navyreserve.navy.mil/Portals/35/Documents/Reserve Instructions/CNRF/1120.3A.pdf?ver=-42LXXiuOzRBNhPmAr0Ikw==.
LOL welcome to the Navy! According to that document, a sponsor is supposed to be assigned to you, I believe by the command upon being gained. You shouldn't be filling out that checklist, the members of your command should.
As I say, welcome to the Navy, where something that they should fill out is handed to you blank.
I would go back to whoever gave you that and ask, so who is my sponsor?

db619

I had to request my own seat to ODS and was never given that checklist. The training officer at the NRC had never done ODS so I wasted months waiting for a reply that never came. I ended up contacting the CEC Detailer who suggested I log into eNTRS and request a seat for myself. It took me several attempts, but I finally got a seat for July 24th.

number9

Contributor
Negative, literally one of the sections on the checklist is to request a seat in ODS.
Apologies. A little sleep-deprived this morning.

I had to request my own seat to ODS and was never given that checklist. The training officer at the NRC had never done ODS so I wasted months waiting for a reply that never came. I ended up contacting the CEC Detailer who suggested I log into eNTRS and request a seat for myself. It took me several attempts, but I finally got a seat for July 24th.
I sent you a PM.

Did you have to notify anyone at NRC? I mean do I just go to eNTRS and request it. Is it that simple? I looked up the July 24th class in CANTRAC and looks like almost half of the seats are still open. Is there any chance of me getting that class? Also, I tried to log into eNTRS but looks like I do not have an account set up yet so I had to complete a form for access ?. Let's see if I get it within 3-5 days.

db619

Did you have to notify anyone at NRC? I mean do I just go to eNTRS and request it. Is it that simple? I looked up the July 24th class in CANTRAC and looks like almost half of the seats are still open. Is there any chance of me getting that class? Also, I tried to log into eNTRS but looks like I do not have an account set up yet so I had to complete a form for access ?. Let's see if I get it within 3-5 days.
After receiving no word from the email my NRC Training Petty Officer sent, I emailed that person and they explained how I should apply through eNTRS. When I created an eNTRS account I was approved that day. It took me several attempts to get everything correct on my Student Data before they approved it. This was mostly because of my long break in service. Reservist only get a small portion of the seats. I was disapproved for the class in June because there were no USNARS seats. It looks like there are six left for the July 24th class.

db619

Does anyone, who has attended ODS recently, know the approximate schedule for graduation? I am planning out when my wife should arrive. From researching online, it looks like there is a reception Thursday evening and graduation on Friday morning. Are family members allowed to attend the reception and what are the approximate times for these events?

LawDawg740

Does anyone, who has attended ODS recently, know the approximate schedule for graduation? I am planning out when my wife should arrive. From researching online, it looks like there is a reception Thursday evening and graduation on Friday morning. Are family members allowed to attend the reception and what are the approximate times for these events?
Wouldn't count on the Thursday reception until your class team tells you its happening. This stuff if very fluid with COVID (I know, still) and other considerations. My group didn't have a reception (nor did the previous, or the previous, or the previous), but we were able to go into town to meet family that were there. Again, caveat emptor. This could be different by the time you get to Newport.

Graduation will be Friday beginning at 9ish, takes about 45 minutes, then you're free.