• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October-ish 2015 Pilot/NFO Rolling Board

lliesemeyer

Would that reflect poorly on my application for the Navy if I were to also begin the process of getting a commission with the Marine Corps? I kind of put all my eggs in one basket, as I made becoming a Naval Officer my desire. I have NO PROBLEM becoming an Officer in the Marine Corps, and it would be for Pilot and/or NFO. I kind of heard that puts red flags on one's packet if I start applying to different branches. Either way, I shot an email to the OSO let see what he/she says.
I was looking into this route and was in contact with an Marine recruiter. What I gained from it is that you are only allowed to process for one, if you are going for Navy you are not eligible to process for a Marine board. You just have to go with one at a time apparently, I don't think applying for another branch will really have much of a bearing on your selection. ASTB, GPA, and PRT (if applying marines) will be the determining factors.

KNSEsup

Would that reflect poorly on my application for the Navy if I were to also begin the process of getting a commission with the Marine Corps? I kind of put all my eggs in one basket, as I made becoming a Naval Officer my desire. I have NO PROBLEM becoming an Officer in the Marine Corps, and it would be for Pilot and/or NFO. I kind of heard that puts red flags on one's packet if I start applying to different branches. Either way, I shot an email to the OSO let see what he/she says.

I do not think there would be any repercussions for speaking and possibly applying with the Marine Corps. I guess it would come down to a specific recruiter's preference. I am active duty Navy and a Marine recruiter was willing to submit an application for me (at the same time I was applying for the Navy) if I received a release from the Navy. My command was willing to release me because they are awesome and just wanted to see me succeed. Big Navy shut it down for some very understandable reasons.

Here's the thing; you want to serve, you want to fly, you were unable to submit a package in a timely fashion, and you want to find a way of bettering your chances to get in the fight. Why would anyone hold that against you?

RoamingBiologist

Flying out deep into the wilderness.
I do not think there would be any repercussions for speaking and possibly applying with the Marine Corps. I guess it would come down to a specific recruiter's preference. I am active duty Navy and a Marine recruiter was willing to submit an application for me (at the same time I was applying for the Navy) if I received a release from the Navy. My command was willing to release me because they are awesome and just wanted to see me succeed. Big Navy shut it down for some very understandable reasons.

Here's the thing; you want to serve, you want to fly, you were unable to submit a package in a timely fashion, and you want to find a way of bettering your chances to get in the fight. Why would anyone hold that against you?

Thank you, I will meet up with the OSO possibly tomorrow and discuss options. I will talk to my OR before I meet with the OSO to see the likelihood of still being able to submit in time and get a commission. If I start OCS end of Dec. or in Jan. I would still be solid gold, heck even Feb. if its within the first week (if that's is even possible). You are right, I want to serve, I want to fly, and I want to do it now while I am young and still able to be a contributing factor to the fight. Thanks again for the info!

exNavyOffRec

My two cents since you are age critical is to talk to a Marine Corps recruiter and see if they can get you in for the next possible board. My understanding is that they are in need of pilots as well. Their cutoff is also 27 , but they may have a board coming up which can better fit your timeline.

The training pipelines are very similar. I cannot speak to fleet differences, however, I have heard many enlisted Marines speak very highly of their pilots.

If you take the above advice start the Armstrong pull-up program and begin running twice a day.

The biggest issue in trying to get anything done with USMC fast for those age critical is that the USMC would still need to send you to Pensacola for their physical and all the other hoops.

I would ask when the next board is to see if it is even possible.

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter said my application was submitted and has been in for a few months now but made it sound like the system itself prevented it from being allotted to anything FY15. Kind of weird since when I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago (when the talk of holding applications until FY16 first started) he used the future tense "will be submitted for FY16", which sounded to me like the submission process hadn't been initiated yet. He also said that the board that just took place was for active duty only, but it looks like @HighAngleHell got a PROREC and is prior service but not active duty. At this point, I guess all I can do is wait until after 1 Oct and confirm with him that my package is AT PM (and possibly ORDPRO a bit later). And then pray for the next board to be soon.

I had some time on my hands so I went back and researched the number of days between rolling boards for the past few years. These are approximate because some of them are based on earliest PROREC dates I could find rather than the actual confirmed dates that boards were held.

• 5 May 13 (not sure if this was scheduled or rolling)
  • 15 Jul 13 (not sure if this was scheduled or rolling) (71 days)
  • 17 Oct 13 (94 days)
  • 28 Feb 14 (134 days)
  • 6 May 14 (67 days)
  • (thought maybe I missed one between May and Oct, but I can't find anything)
  • 29 Oct 14 (176 days)
  • 3 Feb 15 (97 days)
  • 8 Apr 15 (64 days)
  • 30 Jun 15 (83 days)
  • 23 Sep 15 (85 days)
Average time: ~97 days
Median time: 85 days
Modes (based on days rounded to 5): 95 days, 85 days, 65 days

Looks like the 80-100 day range has been the most common, but the fact that two of them were around ~65 days apart is at least a tiny bit comforting. On the bright side, it looks like a lot of people have had their kits held up for the next FY, so hopefully that means the next board will be on the sooner side since there will presumably be a lot of kits ready after 1 Oct.

well, it is nice to see your OR is being truthful.......

mb1685

well, it is nice to see your OR is being truthful.......

He's a nice guy but sometimes it's tough to know exactly what's going on. I hate to say it, but even if he says my package is submitted (after 1 Oct), I think I'll have a hard time believing it at this point. Are there other people I'll be able to contact to verify package status, like maybe the processors or the office of the Program Manager directly? The only contact info on my NRD's website that sounds like it might be relevant is "Administration Department" and "System Administrator", but of course I don't want to piss off someone higher up. Can other ORs see if an applicant's package from another NRD is AT PM/ORDPRO? I really don't mean to be disrespectful to my OR, but he can be pretty unclear about some (important) things.

FireFor3ffect

He's a nice guy but sometimes it's tough to know exactly what's going on. I hate to say it, but even if he says my package is submitted (after 1 Oct), I think I'll have a hard time believing it at this point. Are there other people I'll be able to contact to verify package status, like maybe the processors or the office of the Program Manager directly? The only contact info on my NRD's website that sounds like it might be relevant is "Administration Department" and "System Administrator", but of course I don't want to piss off someone higher up. Can other ORs see if an applicant's package from another NRD is AT PM/ORDPRO? I really don't mean to be disrespectful to my OR, but he can be pretty unclear about some (important) things.

We might have the same recruiter...

exNavyOffRec

SYSAD is an IT person, Admin might be able to direct you to the processor, do you have your processors number? yes anyone should be able to look up anyone else, but you have to find someone that will do that.

afsf11

Ditto.

mb1685

SYSAD is an IT person, Admin might be able to direct you to the processor, do you have your processors number? yes anyone should be able to look up anyone else, but you have to find someone that will do that.

Unfortunately I don't have the processor's number. I suppose I need to figure out a nice way to ask for it, like "can I contact him so that he has to deal with me and you have more time for other applicants?"