• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 2020 CEC Board

Back in the game again...Package/KIT finally submitted for October board, after missing the July board over some technical difficulties. My package as of today is complete and submitted!??

As some remember I’ve been working through this process now since February (Pre-Covid-19 frustrations). I am an 11-year prior active AT2 rate converted to SWCC, dual degree BSME and Applied Science, MSME graduate school student (currently at night), with engineering management work experience. Looking forward to a favorable response back from the board and hopefully the Navy still needs me as much as I want to be back on the winning team. Would love to connect with those on the same journey as I am for now...the October 2020 CEC.

What a year it has been. ?for a selection letter and winter OCS class. I prefer colder temps and water #formerswcc & #formercsar ?

Dwhite1017

Submitted my package a week ago! I’m an Architecture student applying for the collegiate program

My GPA is 3.23 and I got a 52 on the OAR. Not the best, not the worst.

I felt my interview went really well (over Zoom)... it lasted over 2 hours and I made sure to ask tons of questions.

kukuinut

Yo! I figured I'd post my stats on here as well. Submitted my package last week and I am applying for the collegiate program.

GPA: 3.7 and 52 on OAR. I considered retaking, but my recruiter said not to bother and it was a good score. Extensive volunteer work and leadership experience at my job and extracurricular activities.

Interview was through zoom, due to COVID-19, and it lasted about an hour. Recruiter mentioned to me that the interview went really well a few days after.

Whether I get accepted or not, I'm pretty proud that I made it this far and will resubmit if I need to.

It's been a hell of a ride getting my packet in. Corona didn't help me at all, and getting clearance to go to MEPS was a struggle in itself.

Applying for direct commissioning.

Stats: I did Structural Engineering for undergrad, finished with a 3.08. Civil Engineering for grad school, 3.86. Got my PE already and I've been working in construction management for the past 5 years. OAR was a 70, but my recruiter mentioned that CEC didn't really care too much about it. LORs all came from supervisors and a professor. Definitely a little weak on the volunteer work side.

Interview was on Zoom, lasted about 1.5 hours. I think it went decently, but I had a brainfart moment when asked to describe myself in 6 words (stalled after 4)

Hoping I get picked up, but regardless of the outcome I know getting this far is an accomplishment in itself. I'm ready to start the next chapter of my life, with any luck it will be with the Navy.

exNavyOffRec

It's been a hell of a ride getting my packet in. Corona didn't help me at all, and getting clearance to go to MEPS was a struggle in itself.

Applying for direct commissioning.

Stats: I did Structural Engineering for undergrad, finished with a 3.08. Civil Engineering for grad school, 3.86. Got my PE already and I've been working in construction management for the past 5 years. OAR was a 70, but my recruiter mentioned that CEC didn't really care too much about it. LORs all came from supervisors and a professor. Definitely a little weak on the volunteer work side.

Interview was on Zoom, lasted about 1.5 hours. I think it went decently, but I had a brainfart moment when asked to describe myself in 6 words (stalled after 4)

Hoping I get picked up, but regardless of the outcome I know getting this far is an accomplishment in itself. I'm ready to start the next chapter of my life, with any luck it will be with the Navy.
If you are looking at going direct commission that would be the DCO CEC thread, the OCS board looks at different things than the DCO board.

exNavyOffRec

My mistake, I meant I was applying for direction accessions.

There is Direct Accession which is for medical professionals then there is Direct Commission Officer (DCO), and there is OCS. DA are those that get commissioned and go through an orientation type program and they will be active in the medical field. DCO are those that will be reservist, and OCS are those that will be active non-medical.

There is Direct Accession which is for medical professionals then there is Direct Commission Officer (DCO), and there is OCS. DA are those that get commissioned and go through an orientation type program and they will be active in the medical field. DCO are those that will be reservist, and OCS are those that will be active non-medical.

I think I'm getting mixed up with the terminology. I applied for an active duty commission that goes starts OCS. I said direct accessions because that's what the NAVFAC page lists it as: https://www.navfac.navy.mil/jobs/st.../eligibility-and-the-collegiate-program0.html

exNavyOffRec

I think I'm getting mixed up with the terminology. I applied for an active duty commission that goes starts OCS. I said direct accessions because that's what the NAVFAC page lists it as: https://www.navfac.navy.mil/jobs/st.../eligibility-and-the-collegiate-program0.html

Terminology issue with NAVFAC, that is what happens when things aren't run through NRC.

Your recruiter is correct the OAR doesn't matter for CEC, and having your PE is a huge plus, LOR's for CEC depend, if you have a bad CEC accessions officer interview they won't matter, if you have a good CEC officer accessions officer interview then they will be looked at.

There was a candidate who by all accounts was a great CEC candidate (not mine), EIT, great GPA, very good LOR's and after the accessions officer interview the CEC officer and I were talking and his comment was to let the recruiter know that they could submit the applicant but that person would not be selected.

Your post grad degree will be a big plus as well.

Dwhite1017

Did anyone get any detailed information from their Ascensions Officer in regards to the Navy paying for graduate school? I asked mine and he said they usually allow for a year and maybe up to 2 years but he said he'll get back to me. I haven't heard back from him yet and I was just curious because there isn't any graduate degree that I could do in 1 year. Most programs that I would pursue (Architecture/Landscape Architecture/Urban Planning) are 2-3 years.

JimIII

Did anyone get any detailed information from their Ascensions Officer in regards to the Navy paying for graduate school? I asked mine and he said they usually allow for a year and maybe up to 2 years but he said he'll get back to me. I haven't heard back from him yet and I was just curious because there isn't any graduate degree that I could do in 1 year. Most programs that I would pursue (Architecture/Landscape Architecture/Urban Planning) are 2-3 years.
So yeah my Accessions Officer pretty much said that they'll send all "career minded officers" to graduate school. It's important to know though that you generally can't just pick any university and go to grad school there. There is a list of approved schools and curriculum for the CEC graduate program and from that list you can pick the school and major. Most of these programs are 1 year graduate degree programs but there are a few 2 year ones. The CEC graduate school handbook gives all this information and much more.

Link below is the graduate school handbook. It's from 2014 so it may be a bit dated but it should give you a pretty good idea.
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/rlstaffcorps/cec/Documents/Graduate School Handbook April 2014.pdf

roy359

So yeah my Accessions Officer pretty much said that they'll send all "career minded officers" to graduate school. It's important to know though that you generally can't just pick any university and go to grad school there. There is a list of approved schools and curriculum for the CEC graduate program and from that list you can pick the school and major. Most of these programs are 1 year graduate degree programs but there are a few 2 year ones. The CEC graduate school handbook gives all this information and much more.

Link below is the graduate school handbook. It's from 2014 so it may be a bit dated but it should give you a pretty good idea.
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/rlstaffcorps/cec/Documents/Graduate School Handbook April 2014.pdf

Are you talking about doing grad school with the collegiate program or when you get in?

They send you to grad school but like Jimlll said it's from a list of civilian schools plus NPS (Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey,CA). The longest grad school program we have is 24 months which is the Operation Analysis in NPS (Most are 9-12 months in civilian schools). Also most of them are engineering grad programs and the only architecture related program we have is urban design/planning which is 12 months. The Navy is not going to let you stay in grad school for a long time. My last supervisor was able to go to a college not on the list by doing a cost analysis comparison with other schools and having PERS CEC approve it.

Also grad school is ways down the road after you get in. You have to hit so many widgets and qualifications before you get there (SCWS, PW and DAWIA). They usually send you when you hit year 6 (mid LT) with a CO's endorsement letter and if your record is strong enough for you to pick up O-4. If not then it will be close to year 8 when you're about to screen for O-4 and no grad school if your record shows you won't promote. Hope this answers your question.

Attachments

• approved grad school.png
    approved grad school.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 36

Dwhite1017

Are you talking about doing grad school with the collegiate program or when you get in?

They send you to grad school but like Jimlll said it's from a list of civilian schools plus NPS (Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey,CA). The longest grad school program we have is 24 months which is the Operation Analysis in NPS (Most are 9-12 months in civilian schools). Also most of them are engineering grad programs and the only architecture related program we have is urban design/planning which is 12 months. The Navy is not going to let you stay in grad school for a long time. My last supervisor was able to go to a college not on the list by doing a cost analysis comparison with other schools and having PERS CEC approve it.

Also grad school is ways down the road after you get in. You have to hit so many widgets and qualifications before you get there (SCWS, PW and DAWIA). They usually send you when you hit year 6 (mid LT) with a CO's endorsement letter and if your record is strong enough for you to pick up O-4. If not then it will be close to year 8 when you're about to screen for O-4 and no grad school if your record shows you won't promote. Hope this answers your question.
I was talking about the grad school programs after getting in like you mentioned. That list you sent and the handbook JimIII sent answered my question! Thank you guys!

Dwhite1017

Does anyone expect to hear back this week or even tomorrow? I know some of the larger boards like SWO and Pilot can take weeks to hear back from.

My accession officer mentioned that board results tended to be released quickly because the number of Cec applicants typically were on the low side compared to the other communities. The real question is when the board is being convened. From my understanding the posted dates are placeholders but the board does meet around that time. Personally, I hope we'll get results back by mid to late October so I can plan my next steps accordingly.