• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 08 boards

gatorjake18

no prob gator.
age-23
gpa-3.0
astb- 6,6,6,55
degree in psychology from the university of texas-austin
extra curricular's- DI swim team(captain, all-american, olympic trials qualifyer, etc...)
lor's- governor rick perry, coach, physics teacher, chief flight instructor from where i work, and a retired air force c-130 pilot.
prt- 65 push ups, 115 sit ups, and 10:15 mile and half.
20 flight hours

so compared to people on AW my gpa and astb aren't spectacular, but i had some good accolades and lor's. i think what did it for me the 3rd time was my job and flight training. that goes to show theyre not just looking at grades/test scores but the whole package, which is where everyone needs to improve if you dont get in. you cant change your grades so dont worry about it and improve upon what you can. let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info. I am hoping that my flight training and 5 military aviator LORs will help me stand out. What was different about you previous 2 applications?

p_crabb13

Final Select SNA
Congrats Loghorn! I just want to boast a little by saying that Rick Perry was a Texas Aggie yell leader, and member of the Corps of Cadets. LoL. How do you know him? My application is VERY similar to yours. I graduated with a 3.0 from A&M, and am really happy to see that you got excepted. God's Speed!

Longhorn

the biggest difference on my last application was that I had work experience at a flight school along with 20 hours of flight training. That and I forgot to mention I did a request for reference, where I had an interview with a present naval officer and after they wrote me up a recommendation. I thought about retaking the astb but my recruiter said those were good enough so i went with them. and the most important step was not quitting. my recruiter always reassured me my package will eventually be good enough, so i just kept plugging away.

governor perry is an avid longhorn swim fan so he always came by to practices and swim meets. he swims all the time so through that he became friends of our coach and team. what's interesting is that he was an air force pilot and said if he were to do it all over again he would have chosen the navy. his son tried going for naval aviator back in the day but his eyes were terrible. best of luck ya damn aggie. i guarantee if you just keep applying youll get in.

p_crabb13

Final Select SNA
Longhorn, I suppose by putting up your flight hours and job at the flight school the board understands that you are accustom to aircraft. Man I wish I had the $ to put in a few hours, it's just so damn expensive! I have MANY hours behind the stick, just not logged. I hope that my experience in the Aggie corps and leadership roles in some way compensates for the flight experience. I REALLY hope there's an Ol' Ag on the board... ha! wouldn't that be great!

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
Hey guys, I had applied for SNA and SNFO. Got shot down for SNA but pro rec for SNFO. I decided that I am going to reapply. Any word if there is a dec board? Nov is a little early to get everything I need. Also will they send me my old packet back? LORS and transcripts? I think my astb was a little low, 49 5 6 6, and my motiv statement prob could have been better.:)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hey guys, I had applied for SNA and SNFO. Got shot down for SNA but pro rec for SNFO. I decided that I am going to reapply. Any word if there is a dec board? Nov is a little early to get everything I need. Also will they send me my old packet back? LORS and transcripts? I think my astb was a little low, 49 5 6 6, and my motiv statement prob could have been better.:)

This boggles my mind. Why on earth would you put SNFO as your 2nd choice if you aren't going to take it when you get selected for it?

I would take the NFO slot and strive to be the best NFO I could be. If you reject the NFO slot they probably won't ever offer it to you again and if you don't get the SNA slot then you're SOL. :icon_rage

It also brings up questions about your integrity when you reject the slot.

It basically says "No, I lied I don't want to be an NFO."

Hey but if you want to go for round two do it to it. Improve that package and coat it with gold.

BullGator

While I essentially agree with Lazers, it is a life decision and you should go for what you want and would be happy in, although (as Lazers said) you are risking not getting picked up for NFO again.

No December boards. And you probably won't be able to adequately modify your package before Nov's boards; there fore you have time to reflect and decide on NFO before submitting to Jan's boards. And you will need to retake the ASTB to get better scores, IMO.

As far as sending your package back: I don't know, but in Tampa they just scan each page and electronically send it over to Tennessee's processors for the boards. I would guess that they did that at your office and that they have it all on file. -Ask your OR about it and how you can BEST improve your package to be pro-rec'ed for SNA, if you truly do not want NFO. Also, once again as Lazers said, do know that you took away a slot and chance for someone that DID want SNFO last month, if you decide to resubmit. Good luck and think hard about what to do next.

bigT86

Final Select SNA
Does anyone know how long someone in this situation would have to "decide" if they wanted to go with their second choice. Basically is there a formal time limit between pro' rec and submitting all of the paperwork to get final select?

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Does anyone know how long someone in this situation would have to "decide" if they wanted to go with their second choice. Basically is there a formal time limit between pro' rec and submitting all of the paperwork to get final select?

I was told 30 days, but why would it take you longer than 5 seconds to decide. Unless you were picked up for multiple communities, what ever they select you for should be something you want to to otherwise it should never have been designated on your package.

If you put SNA, SNFO, SUPPLY, for example, they should all be things you would love to do, not just filler. And if you get pro rec'd for supply only, you should be telling your recruiter to submit final docs that same phone call. Because the life changing career decision doesn't come now, it should have came months before when you researched the different communities. Again, if you have multiple pro rec's that may warrant some waiting time.

Biz,

IMO, you should take the NFO slot, because you may not improve you ASTB enough for a resubmit, the what? You even risk getting lower results. Your recruiter has probably lost some respect and confidence in you, and he will now have to do some paper work all over again. Good luck, make this next packet count!

McBuff

Sees the light
I'm not sure if this is the case here, but it seems that some recruiters are under the impression that the application has to have three designators on it. In this situation I can understand why one would turn down an offer.

If you only want SNA, then I don't think you're hurting yourself too much. However, if you'd just PREFER SNA to NFO, then I would take it because you probably won't get another chance at NFO. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decision.

dan15

Biz,
I was in the same position a few months ago. When my recruiter told me I was pro rec’d for NFO and not SNA I was devastated at first. After reading many posts from the resident NFO’s on this site, I soon realized that being an NFO will be an awesome job. When I applied, I had about 30hrs in a 172 and absolutely loved flying. Remember that you can still get all of you ratings on the civilian side while you serve as an NFO. Officer pay is pretty good these days. This decision is ultimately up to you, but I highly recommend taking the NFO option.

Fly Navy!!!

bizlake

Another A-Pool Guy
Dan15 and others,
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I am currently a civilian flight instructor and love flying. I understand that turning it down would be a like a slap in the face probably. And I also feel bad to turn it down because I know there are many that would love the slot. I am really interested in the capabilities of the prowler and the new growler. I am meetin up with an NFO in phx this week to talk to him. I would like to research some of the duties that NFOs have. I know all the basic stuff but does anyone know of a website, video etc.? just looking for more info. I have searched for hours all over airwarriors, navyocs, internet. Any NFOs out there that could pm me? Id love to hear about the job. I have not turned anything down, I understand it is very rewarding and from what I hear, quite the challenge.

Thanks, Blake