• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

Hey again Mike. When you filled out your 1420.1b, how did you go about entering 5 designators with there still only being three slots on the form?

I put put a numerical digit in front of each designator. The first line looked like 1 - SWO. The second line looked like 2 - INTEL / 3 - SWO-IP and the 3rd line read 4 - SWO-IW / 5 - Supply.

Tenzo82

I didn't realized you can put up to 5 chooses especially for active duty personnel. The space only allowed for three chooses, but that's awesome. Maybe next time I will do that.

CTFly1

yes, when going for IDC you don't want a next time as the rate of selection for IDC on those that have been turned down before is so very very very low. It is almost a one shot deal.
Always such a downer, Rec! In reality, I'm sure we all appreciate the honest assessments. Tenzo, you should still be PRO-N first go around and pick up the second go around, just to prove to the rest of us non-selects that there's still hope for the future haha. (I got shot down for STA-21 in 2011)

exNavyOffRec

Always such a downer, Rec! In reality, I'm sure we all appreciate the honest assessments. Tenzo, you should still be PRO-N first go around and pick up the second go around, just to prove to the rest of us non-selects that there's still hope for the future haha. (I got shot down for STA-21 in 2011)

In general this is the case for all OCS officer programs, but with aviation a good bump in the PFAR or FOFAR can make them stand out, in other programs it is harder to do something that significantly changes your application.

CTFly1

In general this is the case for all OCS officer programs, but with aviation a good bump in the PFAR or FOFAR can make them stand out, in other programs it is harder to do something that significantly changes your application.
The year I applied for STA-21 the quota bottomed out. I decided to go my own way with OCS. Hopefully selection rates stay strong next board.

Tenzo82

I didn't get selected in Feb. After looking at that package and the one I have now. I can say this package is a lot better. If not selected then, I still have one more shot at the LDO/CWO program.

egiv

If you are going for the best odds Pilot/NFO/SWO have the best selection rates, then Supply, if you have a non tech degree and no calculus and physics then Intel and IW are very low selection percentages.

I understand the why IW and IP looks for physics and calc, but could you elaborate on why it is such an important factor for Intel? I would think there are a lot of different factors to take into account for these to be a deal-breaker.

exNavyOffRec

I understand the why IW and IP looks for physics and calc, but could you elaborate on why it is such an important factor for Intel? I would think there are a lot of different factors to take into account for these to be a deal-breaker.

It isn't as important for Intel, but they have changed the PA, preferred degrees are technical degrees, and those that are not are listed as "acceptable", they look for selecting 60% tech and 40% non tech, I was told by some IDC officers the reason for moving that direction is down the road (who knows how far) that eventually IP/IW/Intel will be merged into one designator.

egiv

It isn't as important for Intel, but they have changed the PA, preferred degrees are technical degrees, and those that are not are listed as "acceptable", they look for selecting 60% tech and 40% non tech, I was told by some IDC officers the reason for moving that direction is down the road (who knows how far) that eventually IP/IW/Intel will be merged into one designator.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the gouge.

I know budgets are forcing hard choices across the board, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Seems like Intel, IW and IP have distinct and separate purposes, although I am just an outsider looking in. I just imagine it will be hard to get candidates with both the 'hard' technical skills and the 'soft' analysis/worldview skills without increasing their training periods.

exNavyOffRec

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the gouge.

I know budgets are forcing hard choices across the board, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Seems like Intel, IW and IP have distinct and separate purposes, although I am just an outsider looking in. I just imagine it will be hard to get candidates with both the 'hard' technical skills and the 'soft' analysis/worldview skills without increasing their training periods.

I think the jobs of IDC has changed as technology has changed, for instance both Intel officers I know when I asked what they do the most of said "powerpoint", the IP officers it was "maintenance and updates", so I am not sure how much analysis they actually do now.

Macfuego

Hey guys, just found out that I up for the Intel board. I was NS for NFO and SWO, crossing my fingers for this one. Any confirmation on the board convening earlier?