• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oct 2013 IDC/SWO-IDC Options Board

CTFly1

I think you have a strong shot at SNA or SNFO but for the third I would say SWO, none of the IW candidates I had that were picked up spoke any foreign language, but they did have tech degrees, the IW candidates that I saw submitted from my NRD that spoke foreign languages had non tech degrees and were not picked up.

I was hoping that having strong experience working in IDC would kind of make up for the area of study for my degree. I am leaning towards SWO though. I appreciate your advice. I was thinking that if I got passed up for SNA/SNFO but got the green light for SWO, I would look at doing a lateral transfer after a SWO tour. At least my first and second choices are a lock. Hopefully the third designator choice won't come into play. Regardless, the commission is the primary objective.

I was hoping that having strong experience working in IDC would kind of make up for the area of study for my degree. I am leaning towards SWO though. I appreciate your advice. I was thinking that if I got passed up for SNA/SNFO but got the green light for SWO, I would look at doing a lateral transfer after a SWO tour. At least my first and second choices are a lock. Hopefully the third designator choice won't come into play. Regardless, the commission is the primary objective.

Are you currently active duty?

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
A heads up IDC has a very very very low rate of picking people that have been a non select before for IDC, essentially IDC is a one shot deal which is unlike SWO/Pilot/NFO
Well then, guess I'll just have to nail it on the first try! I'm too old for any of the other Navy genoff programs (age 29, no prior service). I'm happy with the rest of my application and feel I gave my best effort in all aspects, so I'm just grateful for the opportunity to be considered.

BlueMo86

26yrs of age
B.A. Business & Communications (Arizona State Univ.)
-Calculus, Accounting and Finance courses
M.A. Criminal Justice (Arizona State Univ.)
Former College Track & Field Athlete
-Team Caption
-National Champion
Community Service, Big Brother & Sister Mentor
Strong Work Experience
LOR's from employers
~NO ASTB Score yet

I talked to my OR this week for the first time. I just started working on my packet to get it completed between now and September to submit for October, so Im looking at FY14
I want to apply in this order IW, SWO and Public Affairs

I sure am. Just crossed the five year mark in June.

I am active duty as well and the fleet processors in millington allowed me to apply to up to 5 different boards.

I asked him why the application only has 3 spots and he said its a fairly new thing and he can't keep the instruction up to date with the dynamic environment of Millington!

It just sounded like you were having a hard time choosing your 3rd choice and I wanted to make sure you knew you could apply for all 4!!

I applied for SWO/Intel/SWO-IP/SWO-IW/Supply. And when I submitted my package they said verbatim that it was received and forwarded to all five designators!! I do understand that all IDC designators meet at the same board.

CTFly1

I am active duty as well and the fleet processors in millington allowed me to apply to up to 5 different boards.

I asked him why the application only has 3 spots and he said its a fairly new thing and he can't keep the instruction up to date with the dynamic environment of Millington!

It just sounded like you were having a hard time choosing your 3rd choice and I wanted to make sure you knew you could apply for all 4!!

I applied for SWO/Intel/SWO-IP/SWO-IW/Supply. And when I submitted my package they said verbatim that it was received and forwarded to all five designators!! I do understand that all IDC designators meet at the same board.

Mike,
Thank you very much for that information. I will absolutely pick 5 designators if that's the case. Good looking out. Now the question is SNA/SNFO/IW/SWO/Supply or SNA/SNFO/IW/Intel/SWO! I'd apply for all the designators if they'd let me haha.

exNavyOffRec

It is nice to see that they are finally allowing that, the applications for non AD changed several years ago and they had been holding AD to the 3 designator rule.

The IDC board has been known to pick people for designators they did not apply for, such as a person goes for IP and gets selected for IW, I have seen this for non AD applicants, not sure if it will go for AD as well, if so that could help you out as it could open you up to some more spots since SWO IP and SWO IW average 5 openings each year while IW is in the 30's

exNavyOffRec

Mike,
Thank you very much for that information. I will absolutely pick 5 designators if that's the case. Good looking out. Now the question is SNA/SNFO/IW/SWO/Supply or SNA/SNFO/IW/Intel/SWO! I'd apply for all the designators if they'd let me haha.

This may help, Supply rarely picks a person who list supply anything other than their #1 choice

If you are going for the best odds Pilot/NFO/SWO have the best selection rates, then Supply, if you have a non tech degree and no calculus and physics then Intel and IW are very low selection percentages.

Mike,

Haha yeah I feel you man! I am an IS so I naturally make Intel my 2nd, everything after that is a backup in my eyes!! I'm hoping for my number 1 choice as SWO!!

CTFly1

This may help, Supply rarely picks a person who list supply anything other than their #1 choice

If you are going for the best odds Pilot/NFO/SWO have the best selection rates, then Supply, if you have a non tech degree and no calculus and physics then Intel and IW are very low selection percentages.

Alright. Pilot/NFO/SWO/IW/Intel it is. Do you have any recommendations based on the information that I posted about my application? I've worked hard to put together a well-rounded package, but there is always something to improve on.

exNavyOffRec

Alright. Pilot/NFO/SWO/IW/Intel it is. Do you have any recommendations based on the information that I posted about my application? I've worked hard to put together a well-rounded package, but there is always something to improve on.

The only thing I see is your ASTB could be a bit higher, besides that I think you look real good for Pilot/NFO/SWO, you are in an IDC field so that might help a bit for IDC, but you don't have a tech degree so that will hurt, IDC really depends on who else applies, how many have tech degrees and what else they have.

CTFly1

Thanks for the input. I figure my ASTB is high enough to be competitive, but not high enough to be outstanding. I probably don't have the stones to risk dropping at all though. I think I will ride with what I've got and hope it works out.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the input. I figure my ASTB is high enough to be competitive, but not high enough to be outstanding. I probably don't have the stones to risk dropping at all though. I think I will ride with what I've got and hope it works out.

I would let it ride.

CTFly1

Hey again Mike. When you filled out your 1420.1b, how did you go about entering 5 designators with there still only being three slots on the form?