• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS vs WOFT?

CAPman

student pilot
So, I'm in the process of applying to the Army for either WOFT or OCS. I've taken my MEPS physical and am scheduled to take the AFAST next week. My recruiter says that I can apply for either program because I have a degree and PPL. I'm kind of confused about the differences between a WO and an Officer though. From what I understand, WOs are primarily skill-focused, while Aviation Officers are command-focused. But everything I've been reading about WOs says that they have significant leadership roles and take part in mission planning, assigning, and even training. So, if WOs and Officers both have leadership roles, and they both fly as well, what is the real difference between them aside from the paycheck? I like the idea of WOFT because of the guaranteed flight training, but I like the idea of leadership experience as well. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I know it's difficult at your stage to try and envision your career 20 years down the road, but it really comes down to two choices; do you have goals of someday being a battalion (squadron ) commander, or would you rather have less responsibility and stay in the cockpit for your career? That's really as basic as you can make it when trying to distinguish the difference between warrant and commsisoned offficers.

As mentioned, there is pay differences as well. Some guys are just fine flying and not interested in being in charge of anything (outside flight duties). But you might be the guy who has aspirations of making a difference as a commander where you saw shortcomings as a junior officer. The Army can squelch that kind of idealism pretty fast.

The Army is currently experiencing massive drawdowns like the rest of the military, and Army Aviation is no different. I would recommend whichever program you believe gives you the best chance of success. If flying is really all you're going to be happy with, I've seen dozens of hopeful pilot candidates go through OCS only to find themselves at Ft Benning, GA driving a Striker, or at Ft Bliss, TX as a platoon leader in a CBR or artillery unit...needs of the Army, just sayin'.

MR-

CAPman

student pilot
Thanks for all of the info. Much appreciated. Do you think that, if i went to OCS, that the Army would take my PPL into consideration on branching day? I know that OCS performance is the main thing, but would the Army give a pilot slot to someone else who can run a little faster than me even if they've never flown a plane or helo in their life? (I have my fixed-wing license along with around 20 helicopter hours)

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
The only thing I know about the Army is that they only fly helos (is that what you want?). Also, a great question to ask someone that's "been there, done that" is when the selection for aviation happens, either before you step foot at WOFT (sp?) or if after a certain amount of time at WOFT you are ranked against your peers based on athleticism, test scores, etc and granted an assignment. Your previous pilot experience might be a tie-breaker, but no more.

Navy generally selects you as a pilot/nfo and assumes that if you are medically qualified, you will be given the chance to enter flight training. Also, navy flies fixed AND rotary.

Another piece of knowledge that I've gleaned is that warrant officers can be in leadership positions almost as much as line (normal commissioned?) officers. I'm not sure on the exact wording, but I do know that warrant officers are limited in terms of their future opportunities. Whereas a normal commissioned officer could someday become a skipper, the warrant officer will not. (Anyone who knows more on this, please feel free to correct me).

CAPman

student pilot
I actually did apply to Navy OCS two years ago, right after I completed my Bachelor's. I had my BA and flight experience but i got sixes on my ASTB and they said i needed to have sevens. I put down pilot first and NFO second. Now I'm 29 though and they said I'm too old. The army moved the age limit up to 33, so I said Awesome!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
would the Army give a pilot slot to someone else who can run a little faster than me even if they've never flown a plane or helo in their life? (I have my fixed-wing license along with around 20 helicopter hours)

I don't believe you can get a definitive answer to that question (and it has been asked many times on AW with varying opinions). I know nothing about Army preferences, but in the Navy, you are required to fly The Navy Way.

There is a school of thought in the Training Command who feel that a PPL or 'some' private flight time gives the SNA a slight leg up on the learning curve. There is another group of Flight Instructors who believe that previous flight time is an impediment in the early stages of primary, as some procedural habit patterns have to be broken before learning 'the Navy way'!

In my experiencc, most primary FIs I've queried about this, have preferred a "clean slate" on previous flight time. In the end, it's up to the selection boards, so who knows???:rolleyes: I do feel that lt does not carry the weight that most applicants think it does, or that it's worth 4 or 5 figure $$$ to invest in getting maybe a slight edge in the selection process (unless Daddy is rich).:p
BzB
BzB

CAPman

student pilot
I can understand the thing about breaking bad habits. I flew with a Marine pilot once, and he was showing me stuff that I'd never try in a Cessna (haha). But shouldn't having the PPL at least show the selection boards that you are someone who is capable of completing some flight training successfully? And also that you are someone with initiative and can accomplish goals?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can understand the thing about breaking bad habits. I flew with a Marine pilot once, and he was showing me stuff that I'd never try in a Cessna (haha). But shouldn't having the PPL at least show the selection boards that you are someone who is capable of completing some flight training successfully? And also that you are someone with initiative and can accomplish goals?

First, I said procedural habits...they're not necessarily 'bad', just not the Navy way.

Secondly, each selection board has different people who may have different views on the subject. They are near unpredictable. That's why I stated previously, that while we can offer opinions, I don't think we can give you a definitive answer. Again, how much in $$$ is it worth/or can one afford... to [possibly] give them a slight edge? It's a gamble! In your case, you already have the PPL, so it's moot. Just give it a go and keep your fingers crossed.:)
BzB

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But shouldn't having the PPL at least show the selection boards that you are someone who is capable of completing some flight training successfully? And also that you are someone with initiative and can accomplish goals?

If we answer "no," will you still apply?

KiowaDriver

Now a Hooker....
None
Well, from a flight standpoint, the Warrant Officer has benefits. If you are accepted into the WOFT program, you will be an aviator (if you pass everything.) There is no guarantee at OCS.

Drop both packets, and then decide. When I was applying in 2009, it was much harder to get selected for WOFT than OCS. I know a guy who applied and was a non-select twice for WOFT, and went to OCS (and branched aviation).

Prior flight experience will be a plus on your WOFT packet, along with good PT scores, a killer AFAST, and six killer LORs.

Good luck.

CAPman

student pilot
Oh, cool, I didn't realize that I could apply for both. Thanks for the great input everyone. My next step will be the AFAST and then passing the flight phys. If I do the OCS route then at least ill have those 2 things completed already.

KiowaDriver

Now a Hooker....
None
I would apply for the one you really want first, and then try the other. A good friend of mine went to the same recruiter as I did. He went OCS, and I went WOFT. Before he went to OCS he already had his AFAST done and his flight physical. He said that helped him when it came to branch selection.

Be aware that the Army is dumping the AFAST for another test, called the SIFT I believe. I would still get the AFAST scheduled and studied for, but be prepared to have to take a different test when the time comes.

CAPman

student pilot
Oh snap. A new test? I wonder if theyll just take the AFAST score. Well ill still take it because I've studied already for it, but I guess ill just have to see. Thanks for the heads up