• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Student Pool Information 2022

Mouselovr

Contributor
I’ve seen a lot of anxiety on this forum as it relates to DQ'ing and OCS student pool.

There’s not a lot of information and things change a lot in good ole Newport, RI, however, I’m happy to talk about it as a recent experience to alleviate any nerves.

Despite promises of a new medical screening at OCS for aviators, I strongly believe student pool will continue to exist in some capacity as some aviator’s medicals are complicated. I really hope I’m wrong and OCS student pool is a thing of the past.

1. First off, what causes someone to end up in Student Pool?

Unfortunately, there is no simply answer to this question. The short answer is that your medical didn’t clear in time by graduation. Some of the common hold ups are NPQIs (see 6.), DQs who are waiting to redesignate, additional medical appointments ect. Student pool is not exclusively for aviators; however, it is a very large percentage of the pool.

2. How long will I be in Student Pool?

Depends. I saw folks stay for 2 hours or multiple months. It’s a case by case basis depending on what they need.

3. Am I allowed off base liberty/ overnight liberty?

Yes. As of *very* recently, they have permitted off base liberty and overnight liberty on the weekends. It’s awesome and student pool is way more fun for it (well as fun as it can be). I hope to god if some of you reading this check into the pool, that it never gets taken away.

4. But…. I graduated OCS, so at least I’ll be a commissioned officer…. right?

No. You’ll remain at a paygrade of an E-5 and you won’t commission until you’re medically cleared. Your commissioning date could be days or months after your original class graduated.

5. DQ’ed from aviation. Have to pick SWO or nothing at all…..?

AS OF EARLY 2022, SWO IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION. However, this is subject to change with needs of the navy. I did not see a single person redes to SWO during my time in student pool. I saw people offered IP, CRYPTO, INTEL, SEAL and AMDO.

6. What is an NPQI – Not Physically Qualified Incomplete?

Your medical was submitted to NAMI, but it was either missing paperwork or they want to see something additional. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE DQ'ED OR PQ'ED FOR AVIATION. Paperwork is fixed/ collected and you’re resubmitted to NAMI for processing. These were unfortunately more common than one might think. There was never any discussion of them before candio phase nor any mention on this forum.

7. Will this change my OHARP?

Yes, every day you spend in Student Pool subtracts from your OHARP. Your check in date for Pensacola will remain the same. When you leave Student pool and go on OHARP, you get whatever remaining days you had left.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I’ve seen a lot of anxiety on this forum as it relates to DQ'ing and OCS student pool.

There’s not a lot of information and things change a lot in good ole Newport, RI, however, I’m happy to talk about it as a recent experience to alleviate any nerves.

Despite promises of a new medical screening at OCS for aviators, I strongly believe student pool will continue to exist in some capacity as some aviator’s medicals are complicated. I really hope I’m wrong and OCS student pool is a thing of the past.

1. First off, what causes someone to end up in Student Pool?

Unfortunately, there is no simply answer to this question. The short answer is that your medical didn’t clear in time by graduation. Some of the common hold ups are NPQIs (see 6.), DQ who are waiting to redesignate, additional medical appointments ect. Student pool is not exclusively for aviators; however, it is a very large percentage of the pool.

2. How long will I be in Student Pool?

Depends. I saw folks stay for 2 hours or multiple months. It’s a case by case basis depending on what they need.

3. Am I allowed off base liberty/ overnight liberty?

Yes. As of *very* recently, they have permitted off base liberty and overnight liberty on the weekends. It’s awesome and student pool is way more fun for it (well as fun as it can be). I hope to god if some of you reading this check into the pool, that it never gets taken away.

4. But…. I graduated OCS, so at least I’ll be a commissioned officer…. right?

No. You’ll remain at a paygrade of an E-5 and you won’t commission until you’re medically cleared. Your commissioning date could be days or months after your original class graduated.

5. DQ’ed from aviation. Have to pick SWO or nothing at all…..?

Currently, this is terrible gouge. I did not see a single person redes to SWO during my time in student pool. I saw people offered IP, CRYPTO, INTEL and AMDO.

6. What is an NPQI – Not Physically Qualified Incomplete?

Your medical was submitted to NAMI, but it was either missing paperwork or they want to see something additional. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE DQ'ED OR PQ'ED FOR AVIATION. Paperwork is fixed/ collected and you’re resubmitted to NAMI for processing. These were unfortunately more common than one might think. There was never any discussion of them before candio phase nor any mention on this forum.

7. Will this change my OHARP?

Yes, every day you spend in Student Pool subtracts from your OHARP. Your check in date for Pensacola will remain the same. When you leave Student pool and go on OHARP, you get whatever remaining days you had left.
Good info you have here.

On 5 one thing to remember is this can change on a whim of the people in charge, years ago it was like you described and then all of a sudden it changed and if you were qualified for URL it was SWO or home.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Good info you have here.

On 5 one thing to remember is this can change on a whim of the people in charge, years ago it was like you described and then all of a sudden it changed and if you were qualified for URL it was SWO or home.
Just updated my post to clarify this

enzy24

Point 5 is nice to know.
This may be an ignorant question, but if I needed an age waiver for SNA and get NPQId, would the waiver work against me when attempting to re-designate?

Mouselovr

Contributor
Point 5 is nice to know.
This may be an ignorant question, but if I needed an age waiver for SNA and get NPQId, would the waiver work against me when attempting to re-designate?
Not 100%. Redes process was shockingly easy of the people I saw go through it. No additional medical except for the SEAL. Just submit a short statement and off the package went

Maze_soba

Thanks for a great writeup! Somebody mentioned it in another thread, but my biggest fear is also getting dropped for something I can't control.
It's also nice to hear that (at least when you went through) it's not SWO or home. At that point I don't think I would decline, but my third preference after SNA and SNFO would be Intel and it's great that that's sometimes an option.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I heard someone was being medically discharged after graduating while sitting in student pool??
Yes. I believe I know who you are referring to. Those are very, very special circumstances. He’ll be returning to the military and the plan is to direct commission the individual when he processes back in

justflyingby

Yes. I believe I know who you are referring to. Those are very, very special circumstances. He’ll be returning to the military and the plan is to direct commission the individual when he processes back in
It’s been a fear of mine that something will come up that was missed at MEPS. Hope it works out for him/her. That is devastating.

Mouselovr

Contributor
It’s been a fear of mine that something will come up that was missed at MEPS. Hope it works out for him/her. That is devastating.
Nah don’t. Without giving too many details, they got DQed from aviation then was offered to redes to something awesome they were way more interested in than flying.

I’ve previously written a post on this, but eyes accounted for like 75% of DQs, spines were like 20% and 5% was other stuff. Pay someone to look at your eyes before you go to OCS, so they can tell you if you have any hidden conditions.

CWO_change

I almost got sent to student pool upon OCS graduation. I had multiple wisdom teeth removed (more than the "standard" amount) and had extra recovery/SIQ time assigned as a result. While I was glad of the extra time as it meant that I didn't have to put up with all of the other stuff, my class officer informed me that as long as I was not medically cleared, I would be able to graduate the program, but wouldn't commission. Thankfully, I was able to work with medical to clear me to return to regular training status early and just in time for graduation.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I almost got sent to student pool upon OCS graduation. I had multiple wisdom teeth removed (more than the "standard" amount) and had extra recovery/SIQ time assigned as a result. While I was glad of the extra time as it meant that I didn't have to put up with all of the other stuff, my class officer informed me that as long as I was not medically cleared, I would be able to graduate the program, but wouldn't commission. Thankfully, I was able to work with medical to clear me to return to regular training status early and just in time for graduation.
Ha! Yes. We had a guy in my class who hurt his ankle playing soccer in super candio phase. He was fit for full, med cleared, a day before grad or else this would have happened to him too.

Dboom85

Banned
When I went to MEPs, which feels like forever ago, I was told to always keep/make copies of all medical documents and have them handy for situations where your complete medical documents are not passed along to where you need to go. Would we be able to bring our own copies of all those documents to OCS to prevent #6?

Meyerkord

pilot
When I went to MEPs, which feels like forever ago, I was told to always keep/make copies of all medical documents and have them handy for situations where your complete medical documents are not passed along to where you need to go. Would we be able to bring our own copies of all those documents to OCS to prevent #6?
You should definitely bring your documents to OCS, but there’s also more medical stuff you’ll do at OCS, so your documents won’t necessarily save you