• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ocs sna gpa concern

So I’ll be graduating in May of 2021, interested in going sna. I haven’t taken the astb yet, but I’ve been studying for it like crazy. My concern is my gpa, I’ve switch majors 3 times and I’m currently a psych major, probably will be graduating with a high 2.9. Should I even try to bump this up to over a 3, by graduating in the summer instead? I know Astb carries weight though, so I’ve put so much studying in for that.

Should I consider going for grad school if I can get into one to pull up my gpa. I don’t think they look at MS gpa, but to show growth. I’ve gone through a lot in college to say the least, but no excuses now, however I have shown an upward trend.

Another question that I’m curious about is whether the navy still has a pilot shortage. I’ve heard that both the usaf and usn should be able to fill in billets by 2022 is that accurate? Is it better to attempt to get into the pipeline now compared to trying 3-4 years from now.

miss1ng

pilot
It's definitely not impossible to get in with a below 3.0 GPA. Check the spreadsheets for the last few boards and you'll see a handful that got in.

Honestly I would just work on getting my ASTB scores as high as possible. You can always go for a masters later.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
So I’ll be graduating in May of 2021, interested in going sna. I haven’t taken the astb yet, but I’ve been studying for it like crazy. My concern is my gpa, I’ve switch majors 3 times and I’m currently a psych major, probably will be graduating with a high 2.9. Should I even try to bump this up to over a 3, by graduating in the summer instead? I know Astb carries weight though, so I’ve put so much studying in for that.

I got selected in 2011 during the last recession when the Navy was actively turning people away. I had a 2.6 GPA and zero grad school hours. What I did have going for me was that my degree was in engineering, high ASTB scores, and a background of military school and community service. If you're going to get selected, you need to show the board that you have what it takes and that you have other things going on in your life besides a mediocre academic career.

Should I consider going for grad school if I can get into one to pull up my gpa. I don’t think they look at MS gpa, but to show growth. I’ve gone through a lot in college to say the least, but no excuses now, however I have shown an upward trend.

If you don't have a reason beyond trying to join the Navy to go to grad school, then do not go. Grad school should be treated as something you do to enhance your knowledge in your profession. Never go to grad school if you don't have a plan to make money off of that knowledge or if you are just trying to raise your GPA.

I got selected in 2011 during the last recession when the Navy was actively turning people away. I had a 2.6 GPA and zero grad school hours. What I did have going for me was that my degree was in engineering, high ASTB scores, and a background of military school and community service. If you're going to get selected, you need to show the board that you have what it takes and that you have other things going on in your life besides a mediocre academic career.

If you don't have a reason beyond trying to join the Navy to go to grad school, then do not go. Grad school should be treated as something you do to enhance your knowledge in your profession. Never go to grad school if you don't have a plan to make money off of that knowledge or if you are just trying to raise your GPA.
I was planning on going to grad at some point actually. I just didn’t know if it was something I’d do now or later. But I appreciate the response and I agree with you on that.