• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS possible NPQ for history of back issues

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Does the waiver guide talk about just being asymptomatic or also that the condition is not progressive?

I would consider "had 2 bulges, now have 3" as more than a technicality.

flyboy

Information Warfare Ensign
Does the waiver guide talk about just being asymptomatic or also that the condition is not progressive?

I would consider "had 2 bulges, now have 3" as more than a technicality.

The waiver guide has two different standards for those who are applicants and those who are designated. Would I be considered a designated SNA or an applicant because I have already been accepted and am here at OCS. I don't know the specifics on the waiver guide but for designated personnel, the guide says that HNP (herniated) or bulging discs are NCD (not conditionally disqualifying) and for applicants it is CD waiver on a case-by-case basis. I think that when I was getting medically processed out of the Army in 2005 with this same issue, they said I had 2 bulging discs and a third was partially bulging. I can't remember so I should look in my medical documents. I hope the civilian doctor recommendation is enough for NAMI to consider the waiver because I have no symptoms and no pain consistantly for 7 years.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I hope the civilian doctor recommendation is enough for NAMI to consider the waiver because I have no symptoms and no pain consistantly for 7 years.
Lots of luck with this, but the reason that NAMI has higher standards than MEPS, etc. is that aviation is not always at 1G.

TXSooner07

None
Lots of luck with this, but the reason that NAMI has higher standards than MEPS, etc. is that aviation is not always at 1G.

So are you saying that even though I have received a waiver for a couple things (a questionable anxiety diagnosis in college and GERD that is no longer apparent) for the final select, I could still get to OCS and get NPQ'd?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
So are you saying that even though I have received a waiver for a couple things (a questionable anxiety diagnosis in college and GERD that is no longer apparent) for the final select, I could still get to OCS and get NPQ'd?

Happens all the time.

TXSooner07

None
My waivers were granted by NAMI before I reported to OCS...

Since you mentioned that, I went back to my paperwork and the waiver has the line that says "Code N3M defers to NOMI (BUMED-M3F8) for suitability for service in aviation programs."

So it doesn't seem like the waiver says anything about qualifying for aviation. Looks like just one more roadblock I'll have to clear once I get to Newport and one more thing to worry about in the time being.

Sub King

I too had a herniated disc with degenerative disc disease and was given a waiver more than 6 years ago. The only difference is that I had surgery and proven myself asymptomatic afterwards. Here google is your friend......http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/documents/waiver guide - complete 100505.pdf

CONTROL F or in the search bar type -- herniated

I'm sure this is outdated and not to be used to argue with a flight doc nor is it meant to contradict feddoc; BLUF-- it essential states that multi-level herniations are on a case by case basis only and that multi-level disectomies are not waiverable for flight status. Not saying that you can't get a waiver, but the wording certainly doesn't seem to allow for much in the room for gray areas involving this condition. In any case, hopefully this answers some of your questions. Keep the press on man.

flyboy

This is directly off the US Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide. My condition meets all the requirements so I don't know why I'm not being considered for a waiver recommendation from the FS.

Notes:

An MRI diagnosis of "HNP" at any level of the spine, in the absence of clinical findings, is meaningless. 20-30% of ASYMPTOMATIC people have herniated disks by MRI. Spinal strengthening and range of motion routines with non-impact aerobic training are to be initiated as soon as allowed by the operating surgeon. Following successful surgical or conservative treatment, waiver is possible at six weeks if the following conditions are met:

1. Essentially pain free with no medications other than Flight Surgeon approved NSAIDs and/or acetaminophen.
  2. Good flexibility and range of motion.
  3. Can pass USN PRT (minus sit ups for lumbar patients).
  4. Released to full duty and flight status by the operating surgeon.
  5. Recommended for waiver by Flight Surgeon or Local Board of Flight Surgeons.

Sub King

Read the fine print and realize that those are conditions that must be met at the six week point following treatment. Also understand that they're not going to just take your word for it that you're pain free and completely asymptomatic. This may take you a while to prove, and accept the fact that you may have to jump through some flaming fire rings of death to validate that your health is what you say it is. I'm not trying to be a devils advocate, but Aeromedical waivers and problems such as this are never as easy as we'd like them to be.

flyboy

Read the fine print and realize that those are conditions that must be met at the six week point following treatment. Also understand that they're not going to just take your word for it that you're pain free and completely asymptomatic. This may take you a while to prove, and accept the fact that you may have to jump through some flaming fire rings of death to validate that your health is what you say it is. I'm not trying to be a devils advocate, but Aeromedical waivers and problems such as this are never as easy as we'd like them to be.

I understand your point, I am in the 6th week of OCS and I haven't had any issues regarding my lower back. I will stay here a year with no medical issues if thats what it takes to get a waiver. I don't really care, I have all the time in the world to wait. Also, I didn't have any surgical treatment, and I have been affiliated with the Navy Reserves since 2007 and active duty since August 2010. There is no indication in my medical records that I have had any pain nor seen any physician for medication or treatment of my back since affiliating with the reserves. If it's a waiting game for me, then I'll wait. The last treatment I have had for these discs was in 2005 and I've passed every PRT the Navy has given me since 2007.

flyboy

I too had a herniated disc with degenerative disc disease and was given a waiver more than 6 years ago.

To add to this statement...are you in flight status? There have been a few people on here that have told me similar things about getting waivers for lower back issues but I can't tell if they are currently flying or not. If there is a chance, even a small one, then I'll press on. It's good to know others are getting consideration.

Sub King

Affirm to the flight status. Also another note worth mentioning is that not all of the rules that you see published are referencing potential flight recruits. I say that because I'm not sure what the nomenclature is for OCS candidates trying to get a pilot/NFO slot. There are many rules/regulations regarding medical status/waivers that only apply to fleet aviators that don't apply to candidates that haven't been through the NAMI WAMI already. Not saying thats the case here, just realize that if you see a requirement in regards to your current condition you need to ask the question on whether it applies to you or a fleet aviator. Fleet aviators fall under different guidelines than potential flight applicants although some of the same rules still apply. Once again take my advice like a grain of salt. Your experience may vary.