• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Packing List

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
So then there's no need for taking PT shorts and shirts? Cause all this stuff is starting to add up.

Not really. The only things I wish I had brought were more tape, a self inking stamp to lable and re-lable gear (you do a LOT of it), and a pair of scissors. You aren't going to die if you wear a pair of dirty silkies. If you find that you need anything else you'll probably be able to buy it during px calls. The more stuff you bring just means more stuff to loose at pick up. Even if it is labled, you might not get it back for a while. Someone may pick it up and cram in thier footlocker not knowing whose it is until they have time to square stuff away.

Ground&Pound

Thanks Conaway! I feel like i'm a little ahead of the game. I was wondering if anyone knows whether its a good idea to get some of the shots now before OCS. One of the LTs in my OSOs office said that they gave him an ass load of shots and he was woozie (not sure how to spell that) and sore. My brother said when he went to basic some people passed out from all the shots they got. I'm not affraid of shots or anything...just think it would be good to have one less thing.

Conaway

Thanks Conaway! I feel like i'm a little ahead of the game. I was wondering if anyone knows whether its a good idea to get some of the shots now before OCS. One of the LTs in my OSOs office said that they gave him an ass load of shots and he was woozie (not sure how to spell that) and sore. My brother said when he went to basic some people passed out from all the shots they got. I'm not affraid of shots or anything...just think it would be good to have one less thing.

No problem. I think it's stupid that they make us get our shot records at all because the LT's I've talked to said it doesn't make a bit of difference what you've already had, they load you up with everything anyway. I wouldn't bother, they're going to blast us in the cattle line regardless.

jdakota

I think people get a little bit too wrapped up in (getting ahead) of the game in what to bring and not to bring. Show up in great shape, pullups are money on the pft but running gets you through OCS. (At least 21-22 minutes in 3 mile). Take care of yourself (don't show up already broken). Those guys go away fast and its happened to at least 2 or 3 people in each Jrs & Srs platoon Ive been in.

These things will make your life easier:
Bring tons of white tape and share it.
A stamp pad
At least on pair of really nice socks, I bought a pair of SmartWool socks that kept my feet completely dry during the humps.
Erasable pens (essays now are so regulated you will barely have any).
The only thing that is a must is the white tape. After a couple of weeks I realized these things didn't really even matter that much. The main things are the things you can't go out and buy at the store:
Be in shape and healthy
dont go to sick call unless youre dying or you really f'ed something up
stay positive and motivated
be helpful to other candidates
don't be intimidated or at least don't show that you are, not by your instructors and more importantly other candidates i.e. proir inlisted
Show leadership but also be a good follower
Its not your instructors that send you home its your fellow candidates. Thats why they have peer evals. If your passing everything but being rated last on the evals, thats gonna skylight you and make your life hell for the rest of OCS
If you do these things and don't fail a bunch of events you WILL graduate.
Thats my 2 cents I hope it helps

docholiday

I know it's supposed to be block letters for the stamp, but is there a certain font that should be used?????????????

Conaway

I know it's supposed to be block letters for the stamp, but is there a certain font that should be used?????????????

Dude, it's nothing to stress over. Keep everything conservative and you'll be fine.

Just so you know, I was tempted to tell you to get it in wingdings. Ha.

PacBeachDr

Alright guys, it's normal to stress over this stuff, but there really is no reason to. Listen to jdakota, he has put up the best advice I've read so far. I went out there first increment '07 with some civies, erasable pens, and good boot socks and did just fine. You are provided with everything you need to succeed while you are out there. The "time-saving" stuff you bring out isn't what is gonna get you through, it's who you are as a person both mentally and physically that will do it. Focus on that and the rest will sort itself out.​

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Font should not be a stressor at OCS. It should be a stressor at TBS, when you're mastering Naval letter format. It's part of the new touchy-feely Marine Corps. You'll never be a good officer until you can correctly format your correspondence with the proper font and margins.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Sir, I'll find out, sir!

Ok, I admit that I spent a whole half hour searching for the answer, which begs the question:

Why?

Well, let's just say I have a lot of free time these days.

Anyways the closest answer I found was the NROTC Bull Dog manual. It may not be exactly the same, but it will give you the main idea. A quick search on AW, however, reveals many tidbits about the small and large bag issue. If you put those tidbits with the list in this manual it probably gives you a pretty good idea.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/naval_science/Forms/Bulldog Manual.pdf

And to think, I am already a commissioned officer.....