• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Packing List

Trev82

pilot
i also heard its a good idea to bring 2 sets of civvies..aren't we issued the silkies there? I think they also give you stamps and envelopes for writing letters...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
2 Sets of civvies is ok if you have room to spare, or care about your appearance on liberty.

You are issued silkies there, but it is a good idea to bring more of your own.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
-Bring extra rolls of 1/2 athletic tape. You use so much of that stuff it's unreal. I'd bring the electrical tape too.

-Silkies are issued to you as are shower shoes. Just remember to not over do it. It'll just be more shit to lug around/lose on pick up day.

-Try to get a water resistant note pad in case you have a leadership billet right away.

-Extra BLACK boot socks would be a good idea too.

-Keep in mind that you may not be able to use your under armour compression shorts or even your thorlo socks if they aren't black. We weren't allowed to but a lot of things change per company. Or you could just risk it.

I didn't do the ten week but I did just get back from Jrs so this is all fresh in my head. PM if you have any other questions

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
When I went (last year) they didnt care if your socks arent black..In fact they issued the brown socks at Cash Sales. Im gonna assume that this is a Staff dependent issue.

I wouldnt bother with the stamps or envelopes. they issue you a cool little moto kit that has enough to write letters for the next year.

Shower shoes are part of the bag issue also.

I would personally suggest bringing two sets of civies because the ones you wear during the first few days are going to be crap afterwards.

Whatever you do, you better put your name on all that trash your lugging and pack it in such a matter that you can deal with all of that during the "drag". You dont want to be that one candidate left behind on the parade deck during pick up trying to collect his body glide, mechanical pencils, compression shorts, etc..

good luck.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Go to the OCS website and look at what's in the bag issue. That's what the cash is for. You might be able to drop some stuff like pencils if they get issued there. Bring a ton of medical tape, but make sure it is THE CLOTH KIND. Don't be the one trying to mark your gear with vinyl tape.

Take bar soap instead of body wash. Body wash doesn't work well enough without one of those stupid sponge thingies; especially in getting the muck off your ass after events like the IMC. Yeah, you can use bar soap on your head. When it gets later in the cycle and you know what htey expect of you, try something different if you want, but barsoap is the way to go in the beginning.

Body glide is gay. Just take a can of vaseline. Despite the negative stigma of vaseline in an all male environment, trust me on this. When your fire teams hams are all chapped up and you want to help them out somehow are you gonna want them to be rubbing your bodyglide all over their asses? Vaseline they just dip their fingers in it and it works like a damn charm.

Good to go on the wrinkle free trousers. Basically no cotton. Don't get gypsy'd into a mostly cotton trouser because the label says wrinkle free. This is an absolute must if you want to leave early enough to still be able to do anything on the first night of libo.

550 cord is also called parachute cord and it's just a nice thing to have in the field. I might buy a pack, but I'd only take about half the pack. Don't be a weirdo and bring a whole spool or something stupid like that.

A giant sharpie is a great idea, but don't be that jackass who stencils his name with it and has it bleed through to the front...."You wanna be nasty? Good...That's an essay." And along with a couple of regular sharpies, bring wet erase markers. Why? Because when you mark your medical tape with a regular sharpie it bleeds like hell. The wet erase markers barely bleed at all so it looks WAY better and the one that comes in your bag issue lasts about 5 days.

Trev82

pilot
gear

and pack it in such a matter that you can deal with all of that during the "drag".

care to elaborate? so plenty of ziplocks and labeling? whats the deal with the stamp/stencil kit idea, my oso said to bring a stamp everyone says to bring either stamp or stencil, but from what i've gathered it seems the font and details are always changing by class. Any recommendations? Here is a great site for waterproof note books http://www.riteintherain.com/

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
care to elaborate? so plenty of ziplocks and labeling? whats the deal with the stamp/stencil kit idea, my oso said to bring a stamp everyone says to bring either stamp or stencil, but from what i've gathered it seems the font and details are always changing by class. Any recommendations? Here is a great site for waterproof note books http://www.riteintherain.com/

Just pack it so that you can dump and repack your stuff as quick as possible. I would zip lock some things..but some staff like to find ways to make you tear up your zip lock bags. So dont go overboard. do things like tie your boots together so they dont get seperated. Plenty of Candidates wound up with only one boot after pickup when I went through. When you get your cammies, make sure you mark them up with your name or else you may never see them after pickup. When I went through they made us produce two blouses right away so they could be sent in to get the Candidate nametapes sewn on..so prepare for something like that. Again, I cant echo enough about putting your name on EVERYTHING. If its marked, there is a better chance of you getting it back if its lost during pickup.

What kind of bag you bring your stuff in will play a role as well. My OSO is a big fan of suggesting backpacks so that you can carry it on your back during processing...Personally, Im all for a big duffle bag with a large opening so I can throw all of my shit back in during pickup.

A stamp might be good to have..especially if your name is long. You will buy two sencils at bag issue..A big one used for marking your shirts, cammies, and ALICE pack, and a small one for marking everything else. Personally, I thought marking all the small stuff over and over again got pretty tedious so I think I would get a small stamp for that.

Rite in the rain is good to go. I picked one of those up on my first libo.

All that being said...Dont stress about it too much. People go with the bare minimum and get by just fine. You will get libo after week three to resupply yourself also.

bradler

I plan on driving to OCS next month. This might seem stupid but do they inspect your vehicle for contraband? I always thought I could just take my laptop and cell phone and leave it in my car until libo? Also what about Lotrimum Ultra and Goldbond powder, is that contraband?

Ground&Pound

They just take it as contraband and give it back on libo. I had friend in 195, this is a fact. But don't forget to turn it back in at the end of libo, or you might as well get used to saying F$#* the whole way home.
I heard you could really get in trouble for having a cell phone! I think i'll just get a pay as you go phone on Libo and then turn it in when I get back. At least i'll get see what happened to the guys that did bring one instead of just risking it!

Conaway

I heard you could really get in trouble for having a cell phone! I think i'll just get a pay as you go phone on Libo and then turn it in when I get back. At least i'll get see what happened to the guys that did bring one instead of just risking it!

Bring your cell phone. You're not going to get in trouble for it.

Conaway

Body glide is gay. Just take a can of vaseline. Despite the negative stigma of vaseline in an all male environment, trust me on this. When your fire teams hams are all chapped up and you want to help them out somehow are you gonna want them to be rubbing your bodyglide all over their asses? Vaseline they just dip their fingers in it and it works like a damn charm.

I guess that's a good point.

550 cord is also called parachute cord and it's just a nice thing to have in the field. I might buy a pack, but I'd only take about half the pack. Don't be a weirdo and bring a whole spool or something stupid like that.

What would we use it for and where can I find it?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot

Dude...Bring your freakin cell phone. They expect you too now. Every guy in my platoon except one brought his and he ended up making his parents ship it too him. All you do is put it in a contraband locker until Libo. Its not like your trying to bring a gun or something.