• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Packing List

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
muc1 said:
I would bring a cheap pair of shower shoes. You get them when you purchase your trash, but you may be there a day or two before you get them. Shower floors can be pretty nasty.

Someone brought (or found) a bottle of bleach. I would just bring a small bottle of bleach to sanitize your canteens. The canteens I got smelled like swamp... Leave the bleach in the lockers with the rest of the cleaning products so you don't have to lug it around. Dilute 1 part bleach to about 10 parts water. Cap canteen and shake. Up end canteen and unscrew to wet threads. Let sit 10 minutes. Rinse several times until the smell of bleach is gone...

I used orange listerine; because I knew I wouldn't turn green if i accidentally took a drop; and it masked the ...... musky .... smell they initially had.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Carno said:
I stayed off base for libo the first couple of times, probably the first four or five times, but after that I just stayed in the squad bay. There is only one staff member who stays in the squad bay during libo, so there is nobody to screw with you. It all depends on what you want to do. Those first couple of libos I wanted to be as far away from Brown Field as I could be, but later in the ten weeks I didn't give a **** and wanted to save my money. There's stuff to do on base such as bowling, movies, the Rally Point, PX, etc that is enough to occupy your time.

If you are PLC combined, you are allowed to have a car. Only junior six weekers are not allowed to bring vehicles.

Lesson here: things are always in flux.
For 189 it was OCC only, Combined didn't get to bring cars.

Carno

Insane
mmx1 said:
Huh; strange. We were told that only the law guys could bring cars.
Yeah that is wierd. I may be mistaken though, I never really looked into it because I was never planning on driving. But there were a couple guys in my platoon who brought cars to OCS and were PLC-C.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Back to original conversation: bring several rolls of both 1/2 and 1-inch athletic tape (you never know which you will use to re-label your canteens every other day), and I found that spray-on bandage stuff was great for the abrasions from your gear.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
We actually never used .5" tape. The current OCS class occasionally (kevlar, alice pack) used 1.5". The rest of the time we used 1" for labeling.

wutzu

A school buddy of mine who's at TBS right now recommended a plastic (like polycarbonate) clipboard so you can make a ton of name tapes at once and have them around, rather than having to make them as you go.

I'd say take extra silkies, compression shorts for humps, extra "Soffe" brand Skivvy shirts, because the issue ones are crap, thorlos boot socks (as many pair as you can bear to pay for), broken-in boots if at all possible, rub-a-dub pens. If you take a dop bag, keep it small, because it's extra crap you have to lug to the head for hygiene time, cover shapers if you can find them. And a .223 cal boresnake.

Conaway

I'm heading to 196 in...30 days! Wooo!
Here's what I've come up with so far to bring. Please, anyone, feel free to add/remove/critique the list in any way.

1 set of civies (no wrinkle pants and polo)
Belt
Dress shoes
Bodyglide
Thorlos
Bates lites or whatever broken in boots you may have
PT socks (apparently no-show/ankle socks are good to go?)
Silkies
Mach 3 and blades
Shaving gel
Deodorant
Zip locks (gal, qt, xl)
Toothbrush and travel case
Toothpaste
Boxer briefs for libo (4)
cheap sport watch
Stamps
envelopes
Sharpies
Giant sharpie for shirts
½” stamp kit from Staples or any similar store
Erasable pens
Mechanical pencils
UnderArmour Compression shorts for humps
$400 cash
Cell and charger
Moleskin
Duct tape
List of addresses
Shower shoes
Body + hair body wash
Plastic ruler
1” and ½” athletic tape
Running shoes

Conaway

I thought we weren't allowed to take a cell?????

They just take it as contraband and give it back on libo. I had friend in 195, this is a fact. But don't forget to turn it back in at the end of libo, or you might as well get used to saying F$#* the whole way home.

docholiday

They just take it as contraband and give it back on libo. I had friend in 195, this is a fact. But don't forget to turn it back in at the end of libo, or you might as well get used to saying F$#* the whole way home.

Cool, if thats the case I'll be takin mine.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Take the cell phone docholiday.

Unless you blister a lot the mole skin might not be necessary, the Corpsman will have some to use. For us he actually used gauze and tape which is better than moleskin.

Probably don't need the 1/2" stamp kit. I brought a half-inch self-inking rubber stamp and it was fine for me in '05. My buddy just went through with the same thing this summer and they didn't let him use it. They change the fonts around quite a bit.

I think showershoes are in the bag issue. I think they also give you a letter-writing kit, so you might not need stamps and envelopes.

Instead of 1/2" white tape I would bring either 1.5" or electrical tape (or both). Electrical tape is nice to have because it's black, so you can tape up your gear with it. Otherwise you will have to use white tape and sharpie it black - which is lame.

Edit: I don't remember if I used it or not, but I brought 550 cord. I mean, how can you go anywhere without a roll of 550 cord?