• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS packing list for OCC-190

tperng

Thought I'd share my packing list with fellow candidates for OCC-190. It seems like a lot, but most of the items are small. Besides, I like being prepared. :)

Absolute essentials:
- $300 cash
- dental and immunization medical records
- medicine that you need (must have doctor's prescription)
- whatever other records your OSO tells you to bring
- underwear and basic toiletries for first couple of days (see below for itemized list)
- 1 extra pair of civilian clothes (preferably wrinkle resistant and trousers have permanent crease)
- 1 box each of gallon, quart, and small sized Ziploc bags
- For those with eyeglasses: glasses prescription, black eyeglasses band, small bottle anti-fogging liquid (glasses fog up persistently in the humid environment)
- hair comb, gel, spray, bobby pins, pre-cut socks for "sock bun" hair style (for women with long hair)

Clothing, Shoes, and related items (stay away from cotton):
- 3 pairs black UnderArmour compression shorts
- 5 pairs black Thorlos or Fox River combat boot socks
- 7 pairs underwear
- 7 pairs sports bras (for women only)
- 2 pairs running shoes with insoles
- 2 extra pairs of insoles for boots (I prefer green Superfeet)

Hygiene related:
- 1 small and 1 large bottle hand sanitizer (Purell brand or others)
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- 1 dark or tan colored towel
- sunscreen
- toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss
- 1 small and 1 large bottle Listerine
- 1 tube antibiotic ointment
- 1 pack various sized bandaids
- 1 blue container Gold Bond foot powder
- 1 package moleskin cut to various sizes
- 2 packs female hygiene pads (for women only)

Labeling and Writing instruments:
- 2 rolls of 1 inch athletic tape or J&J waterproof tape
- 2 rolls 1/2 inch athletic tape or J&J waterproof tape
- 2 black Sharpie Rub-a-dub laundry markers
- 1 6-inch ruler (a US dollar bill has a length = 6 inches)
- 2 black pens
- 1 each of blue and red pens
- 4 erasable black pens
- 1 extra eraser
- 1 custom made rubber stamp with your first initial and last name (Letters not larger than 1/2 inch. Thanks to DocT for suggestion :))
- 1 waterproof pad ("Rite in the rain" brand is pretty good)

Miscellaneous:
- 1 backpack/seabag to hold all the stuff you bring
- 1 container Gatorade mix
- ATM card (there's supposed to be a Bank of America ATM in Quantico)
- calling card or cell phone
- 1 small red LED light (I got the Princeton Tec Pulsar II)
- copy of college transcript and diploma
- blank, voided bank check for direct deposit of paychecks

T-man

Thanks for sharing! I haven't had a chance to read through it all yet. But once I do, if I have any additional suggestions, questions, or deletions, I'll gladly post them.

Crowbar

None
Here's a list of what you get issued. Save yourself a few bucks and some room in your bag by not duplicating too much. It never hurts to have extra but it never helps to have to track down extra when launched across squad bay, parade deck, PT field, etc etc. As far as "stay away from cotton" you wear what they give you. Which is cotton t-shirts and issued pt shorts (cotton or silkies). Sure you might be able to get away with putting on Under Armour shorts under said PT shorts but STFB if they show. "Underwear" when used in the context you present it (real underwear, not PT shorts) are of no real use at OCS.
Read this thread if you haven't already for more info...

Marine4life

I would recommend bringing $500 in cash. Your bag issue costs around $270, leaving you only about $30 to last you 3 weeks for PX calls. There is an ATM at the OCS PX but you're not guaranteed an opportunity to use it.

tperng

Crowbar said:
Here's a list of what you get issued. Save yourself a few bucks and some room in your bag by not duplicating too much. It never hurts to have extra but it never helps to have to track down extra when launched across squad bay, parade deck, PT field, etc etc. As far as "stay away from cotton" you wear what they give you. Which is cotton t-shirts and issued pt shorts (cotton or silkies). Sure you might be able to get away with putting on Under Armour shorts under said PT shorts but STFB if they show. "Underwear" when used in the context you present it (real underwear, not PT shorts) are of no real use at OCS.
Read this thread if you haven't already for more info...

Thanks for the links. I've pored over them for advice and tips. And while I'm aware that I'll have to wear the shirts and pants issued to me, underwear is right next to the skin and it looks like they only issue 1 or 2 at OCS. So if they allow you to wear your own, why bring cotton underwear for strenous activities like those at OCS? It'll suck up body heat during wintertime and take forever to dry. I've worn them during winter hikes and I was colder and more miserable than I had to be. That's why I don't recommend it.

The primary purpose of the Underarmour compression shorts is to prevent chafing during long hikes or events. I tried them on and they feel very nice: just like a second layer of skin. My OSO recommended that I bring at least 2 and wear them under the cammies and sweat pants. They can be worn either instead of or on top of regular underwear. The Segeant Instructors may be tough, but I doubt they'll ask anyone to "go commando" at OCS :D, so I'll just adjust as needed.

Crowbar

None
tperng said:
Thanks for the links. I've pored over them for advice and tips. And while I'm aware that I'll have to wear the shirts and pants issued to me, underwear is right next to the skin and it looks like they only issue 1 or 2 at OCS. So if they allow you to wear your own, why bring cotton underwear for strenous activities like those at OCS? It'll suck up body heat during wintertime and take forever to dry. I've worn them during winter hikes and I was colder and more miserable than I had to be. That's why I don't recommend it.

The primary purpose of the Underarmour compression shorts is to prevent chafing during long hikes or events. I tried them on and they feel very nice: just like a second layer of skin. My OSO recommended that I bring at least 2 and wear them under the cammies and sweat pants. They can be worn either instead of or on top of regular underwear. The Segeant Instructors may be tough, but I doubt they'll ask anyone to "go commando" at OCS , so I'll just adjust as needed.

PT shorts ARE your underwear at OCS. Wherever you go, they go...attached to your ass cheeks.
Don't know who told you to wear UA shorts on top of your underwear. They probably just wanted a good laugh at your expense. And good luck explaining to the instructors how you're wearing UA shorts because they 'feel very nice'.

tperng

Crowbar said:
PT shorts ARE your underwear at OCS. Wherever you go, they go...attached to your ass cheeks.
Don't know who told you to wear UA shorts on top of your underwear. They probably just wanted a good laugh at your expense. And good luck explaining to the instructors how you're wearing UA shorts because they 'feel very nice'.

I guess I'll find out about the PT shorts situation. As far as wearing compression shorts on top of regular underwear, UnderArmour recommended it. Since people usually don't wear anything bulky like PT shorts for underwear, regular underwear fits just fine. That's how I tried it on, actually, to make sure mine fit.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
tperng said:
I guess I'll find out about the PT shorts situation. As far as wearing compression shorts on top of regular underwear, UnderArmour recommended it. Since people usually don't wear anything bulky like PT shorts for underwear, regular underwear fits just fine. That's how I tried it on, actually, to make sure mine fit.

More then likely they won't even let you use the compression shorts at OCS, at least thats what they told us when we went...

tperng

jamnww said:
More then likely they won't even let you use the compression shorts at OCS, at least thats what they told us when we went...

Sounds like you attend OCS around the same time as Crowbar? I guess it depends on the SI's mood. :) I've heard from people who just graduated that they were allowed to wear it. Probably why my OSO recommended it. But in any event, I'll bring them and see what happens. They are too lightweight and small to take up much space in the pack.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
someone said to bring 1 box of gallon bags......to save oyur time during inprocessing....get rid of the box..and utilize the bags before you leave. make sure EVERYTHING you have is in a ziploc bag, or if its clothing, make sure its labeled..each shoe, each sock, etc. trust me, it will save you so much time to find your stuff later one...yes....to find it. Other candidates will end up with your stuff. After pick up, i had about 50% my stuff, and about twice that much of other candidates. Just be as prepared as possible.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
tperng said:
Sounds like you attend OCS around the same time as Crowbar? I guess it depends on the SI's mood. :) I've heard from people who just graduated that they were allowed to wear it. Probably why my OSO recommended it. But in any event, I'll bring them and see what happens. They are too lightweight and small to take up much space in the pack.

Don't mistake being allowed to do something with getting away with something. When I was at OCS, there were some who wore compression shorts and some who didn't (I was in the latter group). While they are a great idea, I don't recall the SI's ever said they were authorized. So take that for what its worth. Also, the first day I was at OCS was the last time I wore normal underwear for the duration of OCS. THose silkies will be on you all the time, hell you might even get to like them. It was required that we wear them at all times, as you sometimes changed out of cammies and hung them to dry while still outside the house. Would suck to "be that candidate" who had to scamper across the PT field stark naked 'cause they neglected to put on some PT shorts. Same goes with compression shorts in that situation: don't know how the SIs will react to 40 candidates wearing OD green shorts and one in black compression shorts. Food for thought.

tperng

Thanks for all the tips and advice, fellows. I appreciate it, I really do :) . I will of course bring my common sense with me to OCS. The items on my list are compiled based on what I feel I'll need. A lot of the items are recommended by people I trust, like my OSO and the posters on this forum. I'm certain I won't be able to use some of the stuff that I bring. I'm just not sure which ones just yet, so I'll adapt as needed.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Hey tperng, good luck at 190, but that's alot of $hit you're bringing. You are going to have an absolute yardsale during pick-up.

I graduated this past july, you can wear under armor during humps, otherwise it's a waste of time. Silkys will be your underwear. Semper Fi, Doc

riley

tperng,

good motivation there....way to much crap.

-don't bring the underarmour compression shorts - if you still feel like you need by your first libo, buy it then.
-bring only 2-3 extra pairs of thorlos, blisterguard, etc socks.
-2-4 pairs of underwear (preferably the green silkies). Silkies will become your best friend.
-you will only need one set of running shoes
-you can bring your own insoles or they also issue them
-you are issued hand sanitizer and can always get more on hair cut day
-sunscreen and towels are issued
-you won't use 1/2 inch athletic tape. 1 inch tape is hard to find, so buy a lot before you go, bring 2 rolls and have the rest mailed to you half way through
-don't bring a jacket - it will be warm for the most part until november. Have someone mail you one later on.
-bring at least 2 black and 2 red erasable pens - no blue ones
-don't bring gatorade - you can buy that on your first libo.
-for the led flashlight, buy a small headband one that can switch from white to red light - it will be a life saver after lights out.
-make a blister/foot care kit with neosporin, moleskin, etc. They have a footlocker with that trash in the squad bay, but they usually run out.