• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS packing list 2022

Mouselovr

Contributor
At OCS, you will keep all your belongings that are not on display locked in a drawer around ~4ft x ~3ft. This includes both the stuff you bring into OCS and all the additional gear they issue you. As a result, less is more...

This is not a definitive list. When I went to OCS, I brought way too much.

Here is my personal list of everything I would bring (and nothing else beyond this list) if I were to go to OCS again:

Absolute necessities:

3-4 pairs of BLACK Fox river/ thorlos boot socks
Not to beat a dead horse, but these socks are an undisputed necessity for OCS. The boots/ boot socks they issue you are garbage, and you will destroy your feet.
2x packs of baby wipes
You will not have enough time after PT in the mornings to shower. Baby wipes are going to be your best friend.
1x plastic clip board
Almost everyone brings a clipboard for bed making.
1x general toiletries
You will have access to buy toiletries at OCS. The opportunity is uncommon. You will not have an opportunity within the first couple of days.
1x pack of tide pods
Laundry

Highly recommend:

1x measurement ninja star
A lot of people will bring these, but it's nice to have your own for inspections.
1x roll of masking tape
Only really useful for the first couple of weeks
1x blanket and pillow
The bedding you get is trash and you'll want your sheets in good condition for inspections.
1x towel
The towel they issue is trash and used for inspection
4x pairs of spandex shorts
Compression shorts are not issued, so only if you need them for PT

Females:
4-6x sports bras
Sports bras are not issues. Bring your own
Full set of hair ties/ clips
Must be same color as hair or black... no fun colors
Extra supply of pads/tampons
2x hairspray

Males:
Quality razors
You'll be shaving every day
Anti razor bump shaving cream (Bump Patrol)
Optional but my friends were pretty insistent on this one

If you're going in the winter time
2x chapsticks
1x body and face lotion

Do not bring:
(I wish I was kidding, but during my time at OCS, I saw people try to bring every single one of these items listed below)
Ammo
Weapons
Condoms
Food
Caffeine
Medications (see medications below... this includes over-the-counter, unless Rx)

Medications
Unless you have a written prescription from a doctor, all medications (including over-the-counter meds such as Advil, melatonin and TUMS) are not allowed. If you need to bring medications into OCS, get a doctor's prescription before you arrive. There is medical at OCS, however, it is a process.
FEMALES... PLEASE, if you have menstrual cramps, get an Rx beforehand. If you get to OCS and do not have an Rx, tell one of your INDOC Candios asap that you need to go to medical to get pain meds.

Last edited:

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
They have to be black boots.
I’m not sure.

However, before you go to the uniform store, all the priors who bring their own uniforms can have their stuff inspected, so they don’t have to buy things twice.
Yes flight deck boots are black, just more comfortable than the standard boot camp ones, and are meant for the flight deck.

Dboom85

Banned
At OCS, you will keep all your belongings that are not on display locked in a drawer around ~4ft x ~3ft. This includes both the stuff you bring into OCS and all the additional gear they issue you. As a result, less is more...

Here is my personal list of everything I would bring (and nothing else beyond this list) if I were to go to OCS again:

Absolute necessities:

Not to beat a dead horse, but these socks are an undisputed necessity for OCS. The boots/ boot socks they issue you are garbage, and you will destroy your feet.
2x packs of baby wipes
You will not have enough time after PT in the mornings to shower. Baby wipes are going to be your best friend.
1x plastic clip board
1x general toiletries
You will have access to buy toiletries at OCS. The opportunity is uncommon. You will not have an opportunity within the first couple of days.
1x pack of tide pods
Laundry

Highly recommend:

A lot of people will bring these, but it's nice to have your own for inspections.
1x roll of masking tape
1x blanket and pillow
The bedding you get is trash and you'll want your sheets in good condition for inspections.
1x towel

Females:
4-6x sports bras
2x hairspray

Males:
Quality razors

2x chapsticks
1x body and face lotion

Do not bring:
(I wish I was kidding, but during my time at OCS, I saw people try to bring every single one of these items listed below)
Ammo
Weapons
Condoms
Food
Caffeine
Medications (see medications below... this includes over-the-counter, unless Rx)

Medications
Unless you have a written prescription from a doctor, all medications (including over-the-counter meds such as Advil, melatonin and TUMS) are not allowed. If you need to bring medications into OCS, get a doctor's prescription before you arrive. There is medical at OCS, however, it is a process.
FEMALES... PLEASE, if you have menstrual cramps, get an Rx beforehand. If you get to OCS and do not have an Rx, tell one of your INDOC Candios asap that you need to go to medical to get pain meds.
Two questions:
1) For toiletries this can vary from person to person, could you expand on this?
2) you might consider this apart of medications but what about multi vitals/other supplements?

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO

Absolute necessities:

2x packs of baby wipes
1x plastic clip board
1x general toiletries
1x pack of tide pods
Laundry

Highly recommend:

1x roll of masking tape
1x blanket and pillow
1x towel

Females:
4-6x sports bras
2x hairspray

Males:
Quality razors

2x chapsticks
1x body and face lotion

Do not bring:
Ammo
Weapons
Condoms
Food
Caffeine

Medications
Meh, Fox River socks were junk for me. Doubled up on the ProFeet socks they gave us and I was fine. Good quality cotton socks are enough, although I would 100% recommend Desenex or another anti-fungal foot powder.

Never really used chapstick while I was there (OCT21 to JAN22), only used lotion as a candio.

Everything else is pretty solid as a recommendation.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Two questions:
1) For toiletries this can vary from person to person, could you expand on this?
2) you might consider this apart of medications but what about multi vitals/other supplements?
Multivitamins are the only allowed supplement

Toiletries, apart from the usual, I had Nivea post-shave lotion. Good razors, good shaving cream, 1 full tube of toothpaste, 2 toothbrushes, deodorant (Please God, don’t let yourself be the stinky candidate), anti-fungal foot powder.

Don’t overthink your packing list. I ended bringing way too much crap and it was just a pain to take it all home. Keep in mind, you’ll have a sea bag or two full of issued items on top of whatever you bring.