• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Package and the Academy

KSUFLY

pilot
You're only a sophomore, so you have a long time to apply for OCS before graduation.

Wrong, you have a chance to apply and be accepted for BDCP well before graduation. Also, what do you want to do in the Navy? I assume you either want to be a NA or NFO since you're on this website. If that's the case, you can apply and be guaranteed a flight spot from day one with BDCP and get paid. You can't do that at the Academy. Yes, there are benifits to the Academy and I believe that there is a thread about that. You can read all about the benefits here.

However, the final decision is up to you and want you want to accomplish. I did BDCP and I'm tickled pink that I did and that I found out about the program. I wouldn't want to go to the Academy, personally. But it's all up to what you want. Good luck in making your decision and feel free to ask any more questions that will help you make that decision.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Then again, exactly why are you so eager to throw away 2 years of school just to go to USNA. Why do you want to go there so badly, and just what do you think you'll be getting by going there that would be worth wasting 2 years of your life?

Brett

Dude...it's the hot chicks.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Wrong, you have a chance to apply and be accepted for BDCP well before graduation.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make it sound like he can't apply for BDCP now, or at least very soon. Rather, I was implying that if he chooses to hold off on his OCS app to wait on the Academy decision he'd still have plenty of time to apply to OCS before he graduates. Will he lose out on BDCP money? Yes, but he may be happy he gave the Academy a shot.

KSUFLY

pilot
Yeah, I wasn't trying to make it sound like he can't apply for BDCP now, or at least very soon. Rather, I was implying that if he chooses to hold off on his OCS app to wait on the Academy decision he'd still have plenty of time to apply to OCS before he graduates. Will he lose out on BDCP money? Yes, but he may be happy he gave the Academy a shot.

Fair enough...I misunderstood.

Rubiks06

pilot
Dont make excuses.

Whats the worst that they can say...NO? I had sub human scores too on the SAT...910 to be exact AND i failed calc in high school. Didnt have anyone pulling for me either and some how they still let me in. They made me spend a year in NAPS and here i am 5 years later. So dont let your scores be your excuse. If you want it....go for it. If not theres plenty of other options where you get to be a real live college person more than one weekend a month two weeks a year. I guess my point is....dont just say " oh they wont want me" and then not apply. If you really want it. Make them tell you they dont want you.

SlickAg

pilot
Apply to the academy, apply for OCS/BDCP. See what happens. Make your decision. If nothing else, BDCP can be your back-up plan. I had high SAT scores and 2 noms and still didn't get into the academy. My backup plan was NROTC. Here I am. Also, your school qualifies for the Coast Guard's Blue 21 program. You can get a guaranteed flight spot from them if you have a technical degree or a PPL. There's tons of options out there, I'd give them all a chance.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
thanks for the response,

I would kill to get into the academy but like the gentleman said above, I am skeptical about whether it would be possible, I have a 3.9 average in college now and have a pretty darn good package minus my SAT score. should I just be straight forward with my OSO and let him know the situation or would it be insulting to him?

Well if you dont have above a 1200 SAT (or whatever the new equivalent is) you can't go direct. You're best case if that is the situation is that your senator can get you in to NAPS. So if thats okay with you go for it. If you have much below that it doesn't matter what your senator says, there's no way you're going to be going directly to Annapolis next year.

BRM21o

Don't go to USNA...get drunk and hook up with college chicks so that we here may live vicariously through you!

MrSaturn

Contributor
Well if you dont have above a 1200 SAT (or whatever the new equivalent is) you can't go direct.

Unless you go to college and get good grades demonstrating that the SAT is a poor indicator. You have just proved it with a 3.9 GPA. My bet is they would take you but im not on the admissions board.

Also if your bright you could validate some courses. Just not 2 years worth.

This was already said but apply to both. The selection process is a black box. Only the people in the admissions office know why they choose people. So apply and come back to us if you get accepted to both to weigh decisions of where to go. What have you got to lose?

egolnick

Thank you all for all the advice. I have decided to go for it. Like a lot of you have said, I have nothing to lose. I should be getting some more information in the coming weeks. Either way I am going to achieve my goal of becoming a Naval Officer. I will keep you guys posted. Again, thank you for all of your advice.

phrogpilot73

Then again, exactly why are you so eager to throw away 2 years of school just to go to USNA. Why do you want to go there so badly, and just what do you think you'll be getting by going there that would be worth wasting 2 years of your life?

Brett
For the ring... ;)