• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Package and the Academy

egolnick

Hey,

I had a quick question and I appreciate all your help. I was in the process of getting my package together for OCS (I am a sophomore in college) when I received a call from a family friends who happens to be a US Senator. He offered to sponsor and nominate me for the Academy. He said that there was no problem of me getting in, However my test scores are subhuman. My question is: Should I hold off from submitting my package to OCS and hold off on MEPS? I feel kind of sketchy asking my OSO about it because I don't want to piss him off and get sniped. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey,

I had a quick question and I appreciate all your help. I was in the process of getting my package together for OCS (I am a sophomore in college) when I received a call from a family friends who happens to be a US Senator. He offered to sponsor and nominate me for the Academy. He said that there was no problem of me getting in, However my test scores are subhuman. My question is: Should I hold off from submitting my package to OCS and hold off on MEPS? I feel kind of sketchy asking my OSO about it because I don't want to piss him off and get sniped. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Eric
How can he guarantee that there won't be any problem of getting in.....especially if your test scores aren't that great?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It's not up the senator anyway. All he provides is the nomination. Nomination doesn't equal an appointment. The academy admissions folks make the final determination. You either meet their requirements or not.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not up the senator anyway. All he provides is the nomination. Nomination doesn't equal an appointment. The academy admissions folks make the final determination. You either meet their requirements or not.
That's my point.

egolnick

I agree with both of you gentleman, I don't think that I have a chance in hell, but I would appreciate it if you could answer the question hypothetically. Just in case hell freezes over, should I hold off with my OCS package until I find out from the Academy?

tiger84

LT
pilot
This totally depends on what you ultimately want. If you get into the academy you have to start over as a plebe since they won't transfer any credits. You're only a sophomore, so you have a long time to apply for OCS before graduation. Decide what you really want and go for it.

egolnick

thanks for the response,

I would kill to get into the academy but like the gentleman said above, I am skeptical about whether it would be possible, I have a 3.9 average in college now and have a pretty darn good package minus my SAT score. should I just be straight forward with my OSO and let him know the situation or would it be insulting to him?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
thanks for the response,

I would kill to get into the academy but like the gentleman said above, I am skeptical about whether it would be possible, I have a 3.9 average in college now and have a pretty darn good package minus my SAT score. should I just be straight forward with my OSO and let him know the situation or would it be insulting to him?

My $.02: You are a sophomore in college, which means you are half-way to the prize already! Why start all over just to get into the academy when you can get a sweet deal like BDCP?

If you're wanting to make a career out of the navy, going to the academy could ?maybe? be worth starting all over again for the connections you'll end up getting, but how could someone in their early 20s know whether or not they'll stay in the Navy for about the same amount of time they've been alive?

Ultimately, you have to decide what is more important to you: getting in as quickly as possible (finish degree and go OCS), or getting in with lots of connections (which may or may not help your career, but will probably give it a little boost). At least, that's the way I see it.

Also, if you put in an application already for the academy, or are planning on doing so, you should probably tell your OSO. That's just my opinion, but it seems like the best thing to do. I mean, would you rather have a conversation like this, "So I've got this application for the academy, but if that doesn't go through I'd like to still get this OCS package in," or like this, "So....I'm going to the Academy, but thanks for all your hard work."

Again, totally your choice.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have a burning desire to go to the Academy, and you see an opporunity to go, then put in for it. I don't think you'll be burning any bridges by telling the OSO that this opportunity just fell in your lap and you're going to pursue it. Just be honest and upfront about the whole situation. It's very likely your OSO would love to see you get in the Academy. I wouldn't worry too much if you think you're going to hurt his feelings.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then again, exactly why are you so eager to throw away 2 years of school just to go to USNA. Why do you want to go there so badly, and just what do you think you'll be getting by going there that would be worth wasting 2 years of your life?

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then again, exactly why are you so eager to throw away 2 years of school just to go to USNA. Why do you want to go there so badly, and just what do you think you'll be getting by going there that would be worth wasting 2 years of your life?

Brett
Because it's the end all be all of universities. SDSU is but a drop of sweat on a knat's ass compared to the Academy.

thull

Sounds like you could just as easily do well at the school you're at and have a good shot at getting into OCS (especially if you start applying soon), and not have an extra 2 years and the expenses that go with it at USNA. Remember they look for well rounded applicants. Plus, staying in college that long you're liable to get burned out with negative effects on your grades/enthusiasm...anyway just my 02. Good luck