• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Package and the Academy

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Either way I am going to achieve my goal of becoming a Naval Officer.

True, but here's something else to consider: With OCS/BDCP you can lock in your designator, while at USNA you'll be at the mercy of service selection.

perdiem3

pilot
perdiem3

My son told me to respong to your thoughts on OCS vs. USNA. I was #2 in USNA admissions a few years back--late 1990s-2000, if your high school grades are over a 3.4, top 10% of your class with a 600 math and 600 verbal SAT scores you had better stick with OCS. The academy doesn't yeild to any senator or congressman who pushes candidates, IF those candidates arn't min qualed. You already have two years of college at usna you start all over regardless, no one graduates in less than 4 years, even one kid i knew who came to USNA with 3 years at Yale. Better throw in a couple of varsity sport letters in high school with the above stats. USNA turns down about 500-700 candidates a year with the above minimums. Most have 670 math 650 verbal, top 2% of graduating class, 3 year varsity football, captain senior year V-pres of their HS class, i think you get the picture. If you have all the above and want to start college over, then USNA is the best college deal you will get, only Harvard or Yale gives you a better job interview resume.

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
Deadline

If you're going to do this the Senator better get on the ball, the deadline for Nominations for the Class of 2011 is the end of January, according to the USNA Admissions site.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Ohhhh, if you only knew... I'm getting out and have gotten interviews simply because of the sweet Academy degree. While I don't agree that I should be ring knocking - if it gets me a job, damn right I'm going to do it!!

Well, I was referring more to it's worth while in the navy. Getting out is a whole other story. Guess I'll just have to wait for when I get out to see how it works. It's just collecting dust right now.

phrogpilot73

My son told me to respong to your thoughts on OCS vs. USNA. I was #2 in USNA admissions a few years back--late 1990s-2000, if your high school grades are over a 3.4, top 10% of your class with a 600 math and 600 verbal SAT scores you had better stick with OCS. The academy doesn't yeild to any senator or congressman who pushes candidates, IF those candidates arn't min qualed. You already have two years of college at usna you start all over regardless, no one graduates in less than 4 years, even one kid i knew who came to USNA with 3 years at Yale. Better throw in a couple of varsity sport letters in high school with the above stats. USNA turns down about 500-700 candidates a year with the above minimums. Most have 670 math 650 verbal, top 2% of graduating class, 3 year varsity football, captain senior year V-pres of their HS class, i think you get the picture. If you have all the above and want to start college over, then USNA is the best college deal you will get, only Harvard or Yale gives you a better job interview resume.
Or you can be like me, in the top 80% of your high school, no varsity anything, 680 math, 520 verbal, prior enlisted and just apply enough times to finally get in...