• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Gouge?

I was given a flip book that had things that it said should be memorized before OCS (COC, rank structure, etc.) Do most people arrive at OCS with all of his memorized?

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
I don't know if most people go to OCS having already memorized the Big 4, however, it might not be a bad idea. I'm definately going to have it memorized before I go.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
To be ahead of the game, memorize the big 3 plus the leadership trates.

BUT, from a source at OCS, it is become p*ssified now. No more 2 rlps and what not, it is alot easier,.....slowly pregressing.

Just memorize your stuff and you'll be good to go.

Plus, remember, almost everything you learn at OCS mans jack sh*t the day after you graduate.

EngineGirl

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Chain of Command, General Orders of a Sentry, Enlisted and Officer Rank Structure for both Navy and Marines, and Articles of the Code of Conduct.

As already mentioned here, and as I have heard from two newly-commissioned Ensigns, recently, it is also a good idea to have the Leadership Traits, aka "JJDIDTIEBUCKLE," memorized as well.

astrov99

NOT a flyboy
Dude, listen to EngineGirl. She is dead on accurate. Brain dump all that crap the day after you graduate. It wastes valuable brain cells that you could better spend killing w/ libations.

CLAM97to99

The Leadership Traits were (I think) by far the hardest thing for me to memorize at OCS. Really it all depends on how good you are at memorizing info. I knew a lot of people at OCS that showed up not knowing anything and had it all down just as fast as some of the people did that showed up knowing the big 4. In all honesty other than the DIVO class I don’t think I learned any more about the Navy at OCS than I did going in. It's all about the pump and dump. All OCS did was make me more anal-retentive about things (especially IP’s I still clip those damn things).

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
CLAM97to99 said:
The Leadership Traits were (I think) by far the hardest thing for me to memorize at OCS. Really it all depends on how good you are at memorizing info. I knew a lot of people at OCS that showed up not knowing anything and had it all down just as fast as some of the people did that showed up knowing the big 4. In all honesty other than the DIVO class I don’t think I learned any more about the Navy at OCS than I did going in. It's all about the pump and dump. All OCS did was make me more anal-retentive about things (especially IP’s I still clip those damn things).
I have a question about memorizing the rank structure.... Do we just need to know the ranks, or do we have to verbally identify the insignia as well?

DairyCreamer

OVERCOME said:
I have a question about memorizing the rank structure.... Do we just need to know the ranks, or do we have to verbally identify the insignia as well?

Gotta describe the insignia verbatim from the book from what I understand.

~Nate

gnorman911

No, you don't have to have the rank stucture verbatim. Just know the structure.

Littoral Warfare - Warfare in portion of the world's land mass adjacent to the ocean and within direct control of seabased forces.

that is the only thing else I remember... Although I am pretty sure I spelled "littoral" wrong

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
no, that is how you spell littoral

I'm in 10th week candio right now at the new "p*ssified" OCS and let me tell you that it is by no means easier. we were the first class on the new schedule so we could directly compare with the class before us. true we have only one RLP but a) we can't secure off base liberty until at least week 6 and b) an RL is just like an RLP without the knowledge. Some people wigged out about the officer portion of the inspection, but I thought that was easier than the actual locker inspection. They still made us push the whole time they were looking. The biggest difference is that the old program had a ton of stuff early on and then it backed off a bit. We started slow but everything kept ramping up so by the 8th week we had 2 tests, an RLP and the out PFA all at the same time (they wanted to do the last PI that week too but we didn't because of the hurricane). The new academic system is now set up so we have to take 2 or 3 classes at a time. Try to pump and dump engineering and divo at the same time... it's hard.

Long story short...just because there wasn't a 4th week RLP doesn't mean OCS is easy now. We'll see if those changes are even permanent but it's still a hardcore program any way you do it.

lthackston

I don't think the lack of a 4th week RLP was the only reason why people now call it "pussified". According to what I heard the new CO has taken away a lot of duties from the DIs and given them to the Chiefs. In other words, you don't have PT run by the DIs and you don't have them beating you up nearly as much during the day. Also the fact that the out-PFA standards changed as well as Saturday PT (the long run day) being changed to team sports day has given people who went through it before this new opinion of the program. But that's the CO's policy. When a new one rolls in, it could go right back to the way it was.

So I guess the next logical question is how long is this CO slated to be there. Anyone know? Also could someone explain the abbreviations?

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
I'm in OCS right now. Seriously come in knowing the Big Four verbatum. It will save you a lot of time and stress later on. Also, knowing the rank structure, the sleeve insignia and collar devices of USN and USMC will save you time in the long run too. If you have any questions about OCS, ask and you shall recieve.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
CDR Miller is gonna be here for a while. PT is still run by the DIs, I don't know where you heard otherwise. I do grant that the running program has been cut way down from what it used to be. I don't know why that is, but apparently lots of people have been falling out with shin splints or something. Most of us do long runs on our own now to make up for it.

I only know what I've experienced, but I do know I'd rather cut off my own thumbs than go back through OCS again.