• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Flight Physical

Meyerkord

pilot
I remember answering questions about family history, so yes, they'll probably ask about it at some point. I'm not sure what they do if you mark "yes", but I would probably expect them to check you out to see if you have anything similar.

One guy in my OCS class learned he had a heart condition at OCS and was given the option to redesignate (out of aviation) or go home. Not trying to scare you or anything, but shit happens and you just gotta roll with the punches. Best of luck.

srp_4737

I remember answering questions about family history, so yes, they'll probably ask about it at some point. I'm not sure what they do if you mark "yes", but I would probably expect them to check you out to see if you have anything similar.

One guy in my OCS class learned he had a heart condition at OCS and was given the option to redesignate (out of aviation) or go home. Not trying to scare you or anything, but shit happens and you just gotta roll with the punches. Best of luck.

Understood. Thank you for the reply.

flgator92

None
Understood. Thank you for the reply.
I honestly think it’s probably best to be evaluated before you go to OCS for your own health and just to make sure everything is okay before you undergo a high risk training program like OCS. You also don’t want to uproot your life for something which might now pan out. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

srp_4737

I honestly think it’s probably best to be evaluated before you go to OCS for your own health and just to make sure everything is okay before you undergo a high risk training program like OCS. You also don’t want to uproot your life for something which might now pan out. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I completely agree. I honestly would be surprised if anything was wrong: I ran collegiate track and field all 4 years of college (at a high level) and never had an issue. Regardless, I will get an appointment with a cardiologist to be evaluated. Thanks for the advice everyone!

adudin

Say there is a heart or some other type of condition that will DQ you from flying and they give you an option to redesignate, what type of areas of redesignation would I expect to see? Any chance would be given an option for medical field or anything of that sort?

Meyerkord

pilot
Say there is a heart or some other type of condition that will DQ you from flying and they give you an option to redesignate, what type of areas of redesignation would I expect to see? Any chance would be given an option for medical field or anything of that sort?
Depends on what they need at the time. We had some re-des SWO, Supply, and Intel, and one currently trying to go AMDO. Not sure about medical, considering you probably need an advanced degree for that.

srp_4737

Hey everyone,

Ended up getting an EKG and all was normal except a lower than normal heart rate (50 something BPM) and sinus arrhythmia. He told me it is totally normal in athletes (I ran track in college and still run everyday) and has no relation to my father passing away from a heart attack at age 46. It is going to be a damn tragedy if I get DQ'ed just because the family history... I am honestly tempted to not say anything. Bad idea?

Thanks!

swmonroe88

pilot
Hey everyone,

Ended up getting an EKG and all was normal except a lower than normal heart rate (50 something BPM) and sinus arrhythmia. He told me it is totally normal in athletes (I ran track in college and still run everyday) and has no relation to my father passing away from a heart attack at age 46. It is going to be a damn tragedy if I get DQ'ed just because the family history... I am honestly tempted to not say anything. Bad idea?

Thanks!

I passed 3 Navy flight physical EKGs with a sinus arrhythmia. You should be fine.

srp_4737

I appreciate it guys! I probably shouldn't be stressing over crap that is out of my control anyway haha.

flgator92

None
I appreciate it guys! I probably shouldn't be stressing over crap that is out of my control anyway haha.
Don't worry, OCS is a great stress management program; it'll help you get over stress that's outside your control. hahahaha!

adudin

Anyone aware of what a very mild T1D managed primarily with diet and exercise and recently prescribed metformin would disqualify me from? It's very recent, recruiter mentioned I'm good to go for OCS but I'm pretty sure I'll be disqualified from flying, will I have opportunity to be redesignated or will this completely disqualify me from Navy?

flgator92

None
Anyone aware of what a very mild T1D managed primarily with diet and exercise and recently prescribed metformin would disqualify me from? It's very recent, recruiter mentioned I'm good to go for OCS but I'm pretty sure I'll be disqualified from flying, will I have opportunity to be redesignated or will this completely disqualify me from Navy?
Did your recruiter get you a waiver yet? Generally speaking, I've been told that diabetes, of any form, is a no go for military. If the doc gave you a waiver for appointment or commissioning, then that's great. If not, then, the recruiter may just want to send you to MEPs for a wait and see deal. In his view, no harm no foul if you get DQ'd at MEPs. But, if you get a waiver, then great. Wait and see.

As far as OCS goes, you'll have to wait for a flight physical for the answer you seek. Generally speaking, if you're DQ'd from aviation and not from other designators in the military, then you can redesignate to those you're qualified for. That make sense?

Tgonzo29

If you applied for a LASIK waiver for SNA, would it get cleared at Newport or during your NAMI Physical down in Pensacola?