• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Flight Physical

jiggs

Naval Aviator
Hi,

I've been digging through these forums trying to find some info about the flight physical taken during OCS, but most of what I find seems to be outdated or just speculation.
Here's the situation- I'm 23, pro-rec'd as a pilot, and shipping to Newport on December 4, 2011. Passed through MEPS, and got a waiver for PRK eye surgery (which basically said that I'm OK for now, but NAMI has the final say). However, I know that the (first) real test comes during the flight physical I'll take during OCS. By all accounts, my vision is excellent, but still not "perfect." Left eye is +0.50 and right eye is -0.25 of astigmatism. Nothing that should cause a young man any problems, my doctors say (both eyes test 20/15), but they aren't NAMI docs either. And being stressed and underslept during OCS does not help eyes that are trying to compensate for a slight error.
So my question is this: can anyone tell me how far into OCS the physical occurs? Will the Navy docs flat-out reject me for my eyesight? Anyone know if it is possible to take the physical before OCS? I understand that there are absolutely NO GUARANTEES- but knowledge is power, and I'd like as much of it as I can possibly get before I head to Newport.

Jordan

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
You can't take the physical before OCS unless you're applying to the Marine Corps. All my old Marine PLC buddies seemed to get sent off to places like Pensacola or Yuma for flight physicals prior to OCS. In the Navy, you're SOL. If I recall correctly, medical occurs on Monday or Tuesday (the phrase "medical monday" seems to ring a bell....anybody?). If you're stressed out and lacking sleep a day or two into the program, standby.

If you're really concerned, get your prk surgeron to send you a prescription for eye drops. Show up with it and some eye drops and the candios won't prevent you from bringing it in. Hydration WON'T be a problem.

Honestly though...when you're out in the fleet and you're flying off the back of a DDG at 0300 in shitty weather and you didn't get enough sleep...I hope you can still see because the guy next to you and the kid in back are going to be no-shit relying on you.

dhinkle5

pilot
Does anyone know if they are doing the Methacholine Challenge Test at OCS now that it's at Newport? I already have one done along with a PFT, and will be bringing those with me. Wondering if the Navy will make me do another?

When you do your flight physical at OCS, you'll be stressed, running on low sleep, and you'll be malnourished (typically skipping breakfast due to getting blood drawn at "fasting" conditions, so lunch will be your first meal in over 12 hours). Plus, since you're in aviation, you'll be red flagged for a full on physical that day, so while all of the other people in your company are done by lunch, you'll be lucky to make it back in time for dinner chow. You won't be allowed to talk all day at the clinic, you'll be drinking so much you're basically peeing water, and you'll be reading tiny print from your gouge sheet in order to memorize as much as you can for RLP which is still 4 weeks away and yet not far enough to be fully prepared for it.

So how will your flight physical go? Poorly. Or at least worse than if you went in after a full night's sleep with plenty of rest and relaxation the day before. Unfair? Yes. Most flight docs think so as well, which is why you usually are allowed retests later. However, every aviator that's gone through OCS has been through the same. I saw very few medical atrites from aviation except for one due to mental health history. Worst case was getting changed from SNA to SNFO. However, some of those were able to get bumped back to SNA after the pre-API flight physical.

You'll be in enough stress at OCS. Don't let this add onto it, otherwise your physical will suffer for it.

Prepare for the worst 3 months of your life (or more, if you get tripped up by RLP or some of the indoc week pitfalls - but you'll be there in winter, when indoc week is noticeably easier). Just look forward to the winter leave you'll get in just a few weeks after entering, and that should keep you somewhat sane.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Not to hijack this post or anything, but my question is very similar. I have already been through the full flight physical (I applied for Flying CWO and you have to have NOMI approval before you can apply), will I have to go through the physical at OCS for SNA again? The reason I ask is because my eyesight is close to 20/40 and I would hate to be over that due to lack of sleep and get DQ'd, also that depth perception test with the dots was ridiculous and I guessed on a good chunk of them! If I bring my “qualified for Student Naval Aviator” letter from NOMI will that help?

jiggs

Naval Aviator
You can't take the physical before OCS unless you're applying to the Marine Corps. All my old Marine PLC buddies seemed to get sent off to places like Pensacola or Yuma for flight physicals prior to OCS. In the Navy, you're SOL. If I recall correctly, medical occurs on Monday or Tuesday (the phrase "medical monday" seems to ring a bell....anybody?). If you're stressed out and lacking sleep a day or two into the program, standby.
Really? It happens within a few days of arrival at OCS?

Honestly though...when you're out in the fleet and you're flying off the back of a DDG at 0300 in shitty weather and you didn't get enough sleep...I hope you can still see because the guy next to you and the kid in back are going to be no-shit relying on you.
Point duly taken. However, I'm still well within the +3.00/-1.50 error and +/-1.00 astigmatism prescribed by NOMI for SNAs (document attached), so it's really a question of whether or not the Navy is exceeding its own standards to reduce overstaffing. If they told me I had to wear lenses to fly, I'd have no quarrel.

Attachments

• Waiver Guide - Complete 100505.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 93

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
When you do your flight physical at OCS, you'll be stressed, running on low sleep, and you'll be malnourished (typically skipping breakfast due to getting blood drawn at "fasting" conditions, so lunch will be your first meal in over 12 hours). Plus, since you're in aviation, you'll be red flagged for a full on physical that day, so while all of the other people in your company are done by lunch, you'll be lucky to make it back in time for dinner chow. You won't be allowed to talk all day at the clinic, you'll be drinking so much you're basically peeing water, and you'll be reading tiny print from your gouge sheet in order to memorize as much as you can for RLP which is still 4 weeks away and yet not far enough to be fully prepared for it.

So how will your flight physical go? Poorly. Or at least worse than if you went in after a full night's sleep with plenty of rest and relaxation the day before. Unfair? Yes. Most flight docs think so as well, which is why you usually are allowed retests later. However, every aviator that's gone through OCS has been through the same. I saw very few medical atrites from aviation except for one due to mental health history. Worst case was getting changed from SNA to SNFO. However, some of those were able to get bumped back to SNA after the pre-API flight physical.

You'll be in enough stress at OCS. Don't let this add onto it, otherwise your physical will suffer for it.

Prepare for the worst 3 months of your life (or more, if you get tripped up by RLP or some of the indoc week pitfalls - but you'll be there in winter, when indoc week is noticeably easier). Just look forward to the winter leave you'll get in just a few weeks after entering, and that should keep you somewhat sane.

I've been cleared to apply for SNA after being sent to an ophthalmologist for a follow up after MEPS. But my vision is borderline due to astigmatisms in both eyes. Assuming I am selected for a pilot slot but don't pass the vision requirements for pilot at OCS (hopefully won't happen, but a possibility), am I understanding the bolded statement above that they may bump me to SNFO? It will obviously depend on the "needs of the Navy", but this makes me feel a bit better if it's true. I'd much rather be redesignated to SNFO than shipped home. I'd even much rather be redesignated to a non-flying career field than being shipped home. I want to fly, but I want to be a Naval Officer first and foremost. Has anyone ever heard of someone being selected for SNA and then shipped home from OCS due to failing vision requirements of the first class physical?

jiggs

Naval Aviator
I've been cleared to apply for SNA after being sent to an ophthalmologist for a follow up after MEPS. But my vision is borderline due to astigmatisms in both eyes. Assuming I am selected for a pilot slot but don't pass the vision requirements for pilot at OCS (hopefully won't happen, but a possibility), am I understanding the bolded statement above that they may bump me to SNFO? It will obviously depend on the "needs of the Navy", but this makes me feel a bit better if it's true. I'd much rather be redesignated to SNFO than shipped home. I'd even much rather be redesignated to a non-flying career field than being shipped home. I want to fly, but I want to be a Naval Officer first and foremost. Has anyone ever heard of someone being selected for SNA and then shipped home from OCS due to failing vision requirements of the first class physical?
As I understand it, if you fail your physical, you will be redesignated as SNFO or something else. It's up to YOU if you want to bail at that point. If you really want to become an Ensign, I have a hard time believing they would just send you home. The guys who go home are guys like me- the ones who would whine about not being able to be a pilot.

ajalali

pilot
This was already said, but you get your flight physical on the 2nd or 3rd day of OCS. Whoever said the thing about being malnourished is right on, it's pretty awful and doesn't make any sense. Depending on what your vision problem is, you get more than one shot at the vision test. I'm not 20/20 and failed the correction part the first time and went back to the doc 5 weeks later to retry and I got it. I think the max number of chances you get is 3, but don't quote me on that. I went through jan-april, so things shouldn't be too different. Good luck!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
As I understand it, if you fail your physical, you will be redesignated as SNFO or something else.
As with all things Navy, this is timing-dependent and the Navy is under no obligation to redesignate you.

Stalin

I've got a good question... at MEPS, I failed their depth perception test (the ones with all those circles, it was BS.) My recruiter said many applicants had a problem with it and MEPS even admitted the machine was broken. Sure enough, I go to a civilian doctor and get a really good depth perception score (I think it was 40 arc seconds, whatever that means, I got the hardest display they had correct.) Sent that with my packet, Navy accepts me and I get a final select. I'm scared though, what if MEPS' machines were working and their tests are just way harder than the civilian doctor's? Anyone remember the depth perception test for the flight physical? I am 20/30 and 20/40 by the way...

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I've got a good question... at MEPS, I failed their depth perception test (the ones with all those circles, it was BS.) My recruiter said many applicants had a problem with it and MEPS even admitted the machine was broken. Sure enough, I go to a civilian doctor and get a really good depth perception score (I think it was 40 arc seconds, whatever that means, I got the hardest display they had correct.) Sent that with my packet, Navy accepts me and I get a final select. I'm scared though, what if MEPS' machines were working and their tests are just way harder than the civilian doctor's? Anyone remember the depth perception test for the flight physical? I am 20/30 and 20/40 by the way...

You'll be using those stupid circle charts for the depth perception test at OCS. Just do your best, and you should be able to get through it. Just go with your gut instinct. I was told that on the charts, it won't be one of the outside circles, only one of the inner three. Hopefully you do alright.