• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Flight Physical

Stalin

You'll be using those stupid circle charts for the depth perception test at OCS. Just do your best, and you should be able to get through it. Just go with your gut instinct. I was told that on the charts, it won't be one of the outside circles, only one of the inner three. Hopefully you do alright.
Sigh... I just hope the one at MEPS was broken, because I definitely couldn't see ANYTHING popping out... is it corrected or uncorrected vision they test??

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure, as I don't have to wear corrective lenses. I'll defer that to someone more knowledgable on the subject.

jiggs

Naval Aviator
Sigh... I just hope the one at MEPS was broken, because I definitely couldn't see ANYTHING popping out... is it corrected or uncorrected vision they test??
I'm not sure either, but it really doesn't make any sense to test people uncorrected. Your brain can only generate a 3D image if it has two clear images from your eyes. Without good vision, you simply won't have good depth perception.

Stalin

I've read a bunch on this subject online and there are 9 million people just like me... I should be fine, I've seen ways to "see" the dots (apparently they don't explain how to do it at MEPS) and I heard if you fail it at OCS they have alternate, less ___ty ways to test DP. So I feel a lot better :)

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I was told that on the charts, it won't be one of the outside circles, only one of the inner three. Hopefully you do alright.

I had read the same thing prior to doing it. It worked for me, as I only missed the very last one. But then afterwards I heard that it's not actually the case of it always being a middle one.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I had read the same thing prior to doing it. It worked for me, as I only missed the very last one. But then afterwards I heard that it's not actually the case of it always being a middle one.

Well, bad gouge though it may be, it did work for me.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
You'll be using those stupid circle charts for the depth perception test at OCS. Just do your best, and you should be able to get through it. Just go with your gut instinct. I was told that on the charts, it won't be one of the outside circles, only one of the inner three. Hopefully you do alright.

I don't know if this is completely accurate but when I went through meps back in 02.. I remember being able to cross my eyes and the circle stood out more.. this is almost 10 yrs ago.. If I get pro-rec for August Board I guess I'll let you know if it still works for me almost 10 yrs later.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Sorry to re-open this thread but I had a question regarding the Eye test during the flight physical at OCS, and this thread seemed relevant. When they test your "corrected" vision, does this mean your glasses prescription, or one of those machines like they use at eye doctors? I ask, because I don't think my glasses correct me to 20/20 anymore, but there's no sense in me getting a new prescription before OCS if they try to correct my eyes to 20/20 with the machine. Thanks.

jiggs

Naval Aviator
Sorry to re-open this thread but I had a question regarding the Eye test during the flight physical at OCS, and this thread seemed relevant. When they test your "corrected" vision, does this mean your glasses prescription, or one of those machines like they use at eye doctors? I ask, because I don't think my glasses correct me to 20/20 anymore, but there's no sense in me getting a new prescription before OCS if they try to correct my eyes to 20/20 with the machine. Thanks.

I'm fairly certain they test your corrected vision with one of those flip-flop lens machines. And yes, they will give you new glasses. But unless you want to wear those awful contraceptive glasses they issue for the rest of your life, you'll want to get new ones eventually anyway.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
2. Based on a review of available medical information, subject
applicant DOES NOT meet established physical standards due to
current ophthamology evaluation indicating applicant is a glaucoma
suspect based on disc to cup asymmetry.

2. Waiver of physical standards IS APPROVED for Unrestricted Line,
Restricted Line and Staff Corps. The waiver code to be assigned is
HCB.

3. This is a general accessions waiver. Special programs accessions
may require an additional BUMED Waiver.

4. Note: The increased disc to cup asymmetry is a subtle finding
and while a waiver is granted for commissioning, this applicant's
eye issues may not be waived by NAMI for aviation duty. The
applicant should not be provided an aviation only contract without
NAMI clearance in advance.

5. Ensure N3M letters

This is my PQ letter. Will I be screwed at OCS because of this? I already have difficulty correcting to to 20/20 even though I passed.

exNavyOffRec

The
applicant should not be provided an aviation only contract without
NAMI clearance in advance.

This is a difficult one, basically it is saying not to sign you for 1390/1370 unless NAMI clears you, so the NRD's hands are tied at his point, if I was your recruiter I would contact NAMI for guidance, and push them to tell us what we should do.

Make sure you keep us informed.

jiggs

Naval Aviator
This is my PQ letter. Will I be screwed at OCS because of this? I already have difficulty correcting to to 20/20 even though I passed.

Not sure what to tell you. But in my experience (which was very recent), the folks in Newport and Pcola are very reasonable, and want you to get the slot you've worked hard to earn. You'll probably get some grey hairs along the way, but stay positive. One of my OCS buddies was NPQ'd for Pilot, then for NFO as well, then re-PQ'd for everything and is now here with me livin' the dream (nightmare at times) in Corpus.
Keep pushing and keep your eyes on the prize, and you'll go far.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I don't even know why I got disqualified in the first place. I took and passed the glaucoma tests, and the doctor said it was probably something I have had since birth (glaucoma isn't something you get at birth) with nothing to worry about. Yet, I am still disqualified and need a waiver for a suspect condition... I understand my eyes are important, but this is annoying.

My recruiter is waiting to talk to the officer operations leader at NRD on monday and see what he has to say. He may try getting some information from NAMI but I do not know.

If you guessed, do you think this mean I have to wait until OCS to get this cleared or DQ'ed (or even after)?