• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - fail to complete aviation, get kicked out of the navy?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You are looking at from too small a point of view. They are probably not looking at just aviation, but across the Navy. OCS pumps out more than just aviators, and even other communities occasionally attrite people. They are picking out the 'low-hanging' fruit first. If they need any more, the Navy will figure it out. Trying to read the tea leaves as an Ensign in flight school is like tilting at windmills.

Well the commodore discussed this new policy with us (to include the fact that it was beyond the realm of aviation) at length.

Obviously OCS is low-hanging fruit and the most cost-effective way to rid the Navy of officers without incurring too much cost. The point that OCS puts out a comparatively low number of officers still stands, and (allegedly) is not going to be sufficient in slimming down the JO pool by 100-200 (or whatever the magical number is).

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
You are looking at from too small a point of view. They are probably not looking at just aviation, but across the Navy. OCS pumps out more than just aviators, and even other communities occasionally attrite people. They are picking out the 'low-hanging' fruit first. If they need any more, the Navy will figure it out. Trying to read the tea leaves as an Ensign in flight school is like tilting at windmills.

It is above my paygrade I just signed what they told me to sign. Was just relaying the jist of what we were told.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well the commodore discussed this new policy with us (to include the fact that it was beyond the realm of aviation) at length.

Obviously OCS is low-hanging fruit and the most cost-effective way to rid the Navy of officers without incurring too much cost. The point that OCS puts out a comparatively low number of officers still stands, and (allegedly) is not going to be sufficient in slimming down the JO pool by 100-200 (or whatever the magical number is).

Ah, the key word. I'll let NAVPERS and big Navy worry about that part, not the flight school rumor mill.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ah, the key word. I'll let NAVPERS and big Navy worry about that part, not the flight school rumor mill.

Ditto.

Plus this doesn't apply to me, since I'm not getting attrited or NPQed, and I'm BDCP anyway. ;)

asa66

Sorry to hear this

When I went through NFO training they did redesignate some failed snas to snfo. Almost without exception they became marginal NFOs. I'm sorry the Navy has reverted to this failed policy.

Ditto. I responded to a recent applicant's question with this response as well. The commodore briefed those of us who went to OCS waiting to class up as well. For the time being, you DOR/attrite/NPQ, you will MOST likely go home, UNLESS you can manage to redes to NFO (if you're SNA).

The redesignation is going to be case by case and will happen before you go before a board to separate. This is also only going to be for SNA related issues (NPQ for SNA but not SNFO, or just CAN'T land a plane to go solo or something).

If the NFO route is not an option (attrite for lack of effort or grades/academics etc) then prepare to separate. Going to be an honorable/admin separation AFAIK.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
My question is this...

I've been reading on here and on usnavyocs.com that they have almost doubled the amount of SNA's and SNFO's coming through the pipeline for this next year. Why do this if they are so overmanned in the JO area? Wouldn't it be a waste of money to just dump a bunch through the pipeline and just kick them out here and there for failing certain things rather than picking quality people up front?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My question is this...

I've been reading on here and on usnavyocs.com that they have almost doubled the amount of SNA's and SNFO's coming through the pipeline for this next year. Why do this if they are so overmanned in the JO area? Wouldn't it be a waste of money to just dump a bunch through the pipeline and just kick them out here and there for failing certain things rather than picking quality people up front?

Because this overmanning issue has recently come to light, while the number of officers who will be entering service over the next couple years was set in stone long before the overmanning issue presented itself.

For example, if they only realized within the past 6-12 months that overmanning would be an issue, then there is nothing they could do to prevent it since academy kids graduating now started at least 4 years ago, or maybe more (NAPS), BDCP kids at up to 3 years ago and ROTC up to 4 years ago.

So while all these kids graduating NOW present a problem for overmanning, it wasn't so apparent 4 years ago when they first came into the program.

Now what to do with this many officers? We simply end up with a better product, because those who fail (attrite) or have any lack of desire (DOR) or medical issues (NPQ) get cut and only the cream of the crop remain.

Quality THROUGH quantity.

WARNING: This is all basically conjecture from the stanpoint of a pissant ENS. Don't take it as if I was CNP.....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is such crap. On the one hand, if they budgeted/planned for you to be in aviation and you can't hack it, go away. That's all well and good. But you signed the contract, and we have manning shortages throughout the Navy/MC. Take a dropout and send him on an IA that you tapped a fleet/FRS guy for. You know, guys who have proven that they can hack it. Seriously, if you suck at API/flying, have fun on your MTT/BTT.

/Soapbox

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That is such crap. On the one hand, if they budgeted/planned for you to be in aviation and you can't hack it, go away. That's all well and good. But you signed the contract, and we have manning shortages throughout the Navy/MC. Take a dropout and send him on an IA that you tapped a fleet/FRS guy for. You know, guys who have proven that they can hack it. Seriously, if you suck at API/flying, have fun on your MTT/BTT.

/Soapbox

They are.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Obviously not enough. If they are kicking people out and still tapping fleet guys for IAs, there is a discrepancy somewhere.

Of course. They could certainly be sending MORE guys to IAs, especially with this current overmanning. I've seen a handful of DOR/attrite/NPQs go IA (or seen them come back from IA). I think from what I've seen it has been more of a bargaining chip for these guys to get good orders to a specific designator they want. Although I guess it is always used as a bargaining chip with detailers unless you're voluntold.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I know nothing of what IA jobs actually entail, so I ask the following question:

Why would it make more sense to send the fail-outs to go fight a war rather than people who have proven themselves to be capable leaders?