• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - fail to complete aviation, get kicked out of the navy?

MasterBates

My take is once you are winged, all commissioning sources should be "equal". None of this "OCS guy gets FNAEBd, and goes to COMCIVFLT, Canoe-U grad gets a crack at NFO/whatever".

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if this is just for the IFS/API phase or also for Primary/Advanced? I'm stuck at Vance so of course I get no Navy info. I just find this surprising because I know someone who was NPQ'd last month for aviation before API and tried getting out but was made to redesignate to CEC.

He might be able to get away with it now since we are officially after the date this instruction began. Just tell him to DOR from CEC (if that's even possible?). If he's OCS and DORs from his basic warfare training, he's gone according to this new policy. Unless of course, he now wants to stay in.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
How would that change, if at all, if they had already put money into you as a BDCP person? Like say you went NPQ after OCS.

Anyway, sounds like just one more reason not to f*ck anything up...

If you DOR from OCS coming from BDCP, you get enlisted as an E-3 and sent to Great Lakes, and then the Fleet for two years.

navy09

None
If you DOR from OCS coming from BDCP, you get enlisted as an E-3 and sent to Great Lakes, and then the Fleet for two years.

Come on- really??? Even Academy and ROTC almost never have to do that, even though it's "technically" a possibility. In every case I've heard of, the Mid was given the option to pay back what they owe. I'm guessing it's the same for BDCP.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
How high up the food chain does this go? I mean, will a first cruise nugget who gets an unfavorable FNAEB (I know, it's redundant) be sent packing? Is this Primary/API/IFS only?

For FNAEB, it's going to be dependent on the outcome. If you get a B1 or B2, you certainly won't be flying anymore. Depending on what you have left on your contract or if you don't wear wings anymore, maybe the contract is up...or depending on why you got the B2, you're done anyway.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Come on- really??? Even Academy and ROTC almost never have to do that, even though it's "technically" a possibility. In every case I've heard of, the Mid was given the option to pay back what they owe. I'm guessing it's the same for BDCP.

Well, like it and believe it or not, there is an AW member who was BDCP who was at OCS with me who is now enlisted because he attrited from OCS. It happens.

Believe it.

navy09

None
I believe you ;)

Was he forced to enlist or did to choose to do it instead of paying his bill?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I believe you ;)

Was he forced to enlist or did to choose to do it instead of paying his bill?
The Navy can not make you pay back base pay or allowances. Now bonuses or school expenses yes, but BDCP'ers don't get their school paid for, they get paid.

navy09

None
The Navy can not make you pay back base pay or allowances. Now bonuses or school expenses yes, but BDCP'ers don't get their school paid for, they get paid.

I learn something new everyday on here.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
What seems to be the problem with passing IFS? As someone going NFO and having never flown a plane I wonder. What seems to be the most difficult part for those struggling with it?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

That's probably how it is realistically applied, yea. But, it definitely says in the contract that if you breech the contract (i.e. DOR, no-show) you must served a mandatory 2yrs enlisted as an E-3.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What seems to be the problem with passing IFS? As someone going NFO and having never flown a plane I wonder. What seems to be the most difficult part for those struggling with it?

I never did IFS, I got my private on my own. But judging by my friends' experiences, if you can't make it through IFS, you suck. You should NOT be a pilot. It is a screening for a reason. If you can't cut the mustard in the eyes of a civilian pilot, then you sure as hell won't make it a week into FAMS in a military training environment.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never did IFS, I got my private on my own. But judging by my friends' experiences, if you can't make it through IFS, you suck. You should NOT be a pilot. It is a screening for a reason. If you can't cut the mustard in the eyes of a civilian pilot, then you sure as hell won't make it a week into FAMS in a military training environment.

I agree with the concept of IFS and wish it was around when I went through. But you should be careful about throwing out such generalizations when you have never been through the program yourself. From what little I know, YMMV depending on where you do IFS. Believe it or not, I think the USAF has got this one right, doing it at one location where the standards are the same.

Cool your jets (or rotors if you may) a little bit Bogey. You are still a newbie. ;)