• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Changes

cracker

Let the fun times roll!
As many of you may have noticed, changes are being made to the OCS program. Starting with the next class (07-06), until further changes are made, the first week you will no longer be Indocrination Candidates, then 8 weeks as Officer Candidates, and the last 3 being Candio's.

I have not been told all the gory details of the new program (and even if I did know, I wouldn't tell), but essentially:

The first 3 weeks will be Military Training, when drill comp (I understand it will be sword drill, there will not be rifle drill anymore) and the RLP (Room, Locker, Personal Inspection) will take place. Read: lot's of time with the DI's. I do not know if the class will be Indoctrination Candidates that entire time. It will be intense.

The next 6 or 7 weeks will be academic, where much of the time will be spent in a class room setting. It will not be like it has been, where you take one class a week, cram for and take the test, dump the knowledge. It will be similar to a semester system, where all the classes are taken concurrently, and during either the 9th or 10th week, take final exams. The intent is to increase the amount of retained knowledge, as opposed to pump and dump.

The last few weeks will, of course, be the Candidate Officer phase of training.

I put this out as a heads up to those planning to leave for OCS anytime soon. As always, the best advice for preparing for OCS is the same. Get in the best shape possible, memorize the BIG 3 verbatim, know the Rank Structure for the Navy and Marine Corps, etc. Everything else will fall into place once there.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question would be: what from OCS is actually worth remembering? I'm referring to the academic classes. It seems that any kind of exposure to leadership traits or discipline came from the DI's. Even though I had mad Mo board skillz, what good is that now?

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I remember very little from the academics, but the things I learned from my DI I don't think I'll ever forget.

druskin11

Class Number

I'm scheduled to attend OCS 07 Jan. I'm trying to find out if there is something that says what my class number is. This is for my families reference. I have a set of orders but I do not see a class number format the way I've seen on the posts. Thanks.

Sabre170

None
OCS shouldbe 3 weeks of academics and 6 weeks with the DIs. The DIs can do more for transforming a person than OCS academics.

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
Class number

I'm scheduled to attend OCS 07 Jan. I'm trying to find out if there is something that says what my class number is. This is for my families reference. I have a set of orders but I do not see a class number format the way I've seen on the posts. Thanks.
Contact a mentor via the navy ocs website. Most likely he will be your class officer and will give you your class number. Just to give you an idea, my class # is 08-06 and I report on Dec. 4th.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
God forbid we train "Lean, mean killing machines."

OCS started going downhill when they got rid of the O-Course and the trend has just accelerated.

zornundo

What a bunch of whining, about OCS going downhill just because they got rid of they O-Course. It's just OCS, man! Twelve weeks at the start of a lot longer military career. Hell, back then, the DI could have **** in your mouth and you probably would have thought it was better. Ok, so I'm joking about the DI ****ting in your mouth.

Don't the candi-o's give feedback or whatnot towards the end of their training? Could these changes be for the better? Possibly. I hope to find out eventually. But this is just the first part of training.

And as for a 'lean mean killing machine', if you wanna be that, join the marines

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
What a bunch of whining, about OCS going downhill just because they got rid of they O-Course. It's just OCS, man! Twelve weeks at the start of a lot longer military career. Hell, back then, the DI could have **** in your mouth and you probably would have thought it was better. Ok, so I'm joking about the DI ****ting in your mouth.
Here's what I read: "Check me out, I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Don't the candi-o's give feedback or whatnot towards the end of their training? Could these changes be for the better? Possibly. I hope to find out eventually. But this is just the first part of training.
If the prevailing attitude in the general public is that OCS is "just the first part of training", then your answer is NO, the changes are not for the better.

And as for a 'lean mean killing machine', if you wanna be that, join the marines
Please, if you don't want to be a "lean mean killing machine", join the Peace Corps. Don't contaminate my Navy with any more fatbody pansyasses.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If any of this is based on feedback of Candidate Officers it is all the more reason to be disappointed in the direction OCS is going:( Yes this is "just the first part of training", but it is vitally important for kids coming off the street to be quickly and properly indoctrinated. Say what you will about the relative merits of NROTC or USNA, but they have those mids for years to evaluated and make an impression on. In less then 90 days a guy off the street will be commissioned an officer in the worlds most powerful and technical Navy. After that there is no more military training, zero. You think going through flight school or Supply Corps School teaches you how to be a Naval Officer? What if you are in the sh!t (any variety will do, admin, combat, personnel, inflight emergency, etc) be fore you even learn how to use a cruise sock from your Chief, what will you do then? What great example of leadership will you have to draw on? OCS should prepare you for the basics of military leadership and instill a warrior ethos you will want to develop on your own for the rest of your career. You don't learn that from a book and I fear you won't learn it at OCS pretty soon.