• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS beatings and odd exercises

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
I understand running, pushups and situps will be part of the beatings and exercises, but what other exercises will be the main things to prepare for? Will there be pull ups?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I understand running, pushups and situps will be part of the beatings and exercises, but what other exercises will be the main things to prepare for? Will there be pull ups?

bear crawls, monkey f*ckers, star jumps, low crawls, hold-your-rifle-out-in-front-of-you-and-squat-while-tapping-your-toes...

The list is endless. These guys think of new ways to cause you pain in their free time. Focus on situps pushups and running.

bear crawls, monkey f*ckers, star jumps, low crawls, hold-your-rifle-out-in-front-of-you-and-squat-while-tapping-your-toes...

The list is endless. These guys think of new ways to cause you pain in their free time. Focus on situps pushups and running.
Being in good shape is definitely going to help you, but expect to be strained no matter your fitness level. I think the 'spend their free time thinking of ways to cause you pain' idea is a stretch. The list sounds pretty standard.

mdwAT2

A. J. Squaredaway
That makes sense.

I've always had difficulty with pull-ups and I read a post somewhere that said something about a maximum of 170 something "curl-ups." I'm hoping that means sit-ups and not pull-ups, but I thought I'd ask. Can anyone confirm whether or not pull ups are a regular exercise, or just one of the hundred or so wacked out exercises they pull out of their hats a time or two?

Since I know I'm weak there, I should probably focus on that anyways, but the more I know, the better.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Monkey-fvckers are EVIL because they start out easy as hell. After about 214 of them, you want to cry though...

By the way, my personal demon is bends and thrusts. Easy in theory, but again, there's pain in numbers.

I remember one lovely day on the parade deck where we pissed off Gunny so badly that he took us back to battallion and to the dungeon for over an hour. We did over 200 bends and thrusts in there. The floor was a pool and I think more than a few people were on the verge of passing out.

Casual

Jammin'
None
Don't worry about pull-ups, you won't have to do many of them. Even if you do, most of the class will only be able to knock out a few of them before they need an "assist" from the person behind them.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
If you can get really fast at Bear Crawling it usually reduces the amount of time you spend in the back of the herd getting extra "instruction". Drop yer butt, get yer head up, go as fast as you can (and don't be that guy trying to slide on his canteen)

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
...(and don't be that guy trying to slide on his canteen)
Unless the floor just got waxed because of some inspection and then your DI tells you slide on it which result in scratches that are probably still there..... just hypothetically of course.
But yeah, push ups, sit ups and legs are all you really need to work on.
Even bear crawling isn't worth doing beforehand unless you have a huge yard with goose crap, shells, rocks and it's soaking wet that you can work out on in the dark.

badger16

None
The worst for me was the combo of them. Like Bear crawl 50 yards, then start jump 50 yards then sprint back...over and over and over again.
My gunny wasn't too creative. Push-ups, 6-90's, side strattle hops,flutter kicks, and bear crawls were about it. Being put into poopies during week 8 or 9 was the funniest thing looking back. He wasn't even able to keep a straight face!

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Being in good shape is definitely going to help you, but expect to be strained no matter your fitness level. I think the 'spend their free time thinking of ways to cause you pain' idea is a stretch. The list sounds pretty standard.

We asked our gunny while we were candios how he knew about one exercise he made us do. We held our rifles over our heads, put one foot about shoulder width in front of the other and put the back leg's knee 1 inch from the deck and held it for as long as we could. My hands and arms were numb for the rest of the day, and slightly numb for the rest of the week.

His response: "We take the rifle and do crazy sh!t with it until we find something that hurts."

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My gunny wasn't too creative. Push-ups, 6-90's, side strattle hops,flutter kicks, and bear crawls were about it. Being put into poopies during week 8 or 9 was the funniest thing looking back. He wasn't even able to keep a straight face!

19-06?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
what are the 8 count body builders called now??

8 count body builders... There was this rumor going around that they weren't allowed anymore. If thats true, the DIs didn't get the memo...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
8 count body builders... There was this rumor going around that they weren't allowed anymore. If thats true, the DIs didn't get the memo...

I got to do 20 of them with the top 3 for private session with our gunny after hours.

That's right. 20. Oh, and we got to redo them from 0 like 3-4 times too since we weren't always in synch. That SUCKED. 20 8-counts HURTS.