• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and g/f's

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
not to sound like a sally, but how did you guys best deal with having a g/f while at OCS? I'm assuming that you weren't able to see them. Did you have time to write letters, and are there opportunities to get online while at OCS? (im doubting it). Just trying to figure out how best to keep her happy while im away for the 10 weeks.

horned frog

There was a guy with the screen name of reapergm who shipped to OCC 187. His girlfriend logs on under reapersgf. I'll bet she could give you some first hand info.

jamesinlaca

tell her before you leave what you are getting yourself into, and if she understands, she is a keeper. I started off writing letters, but once the chronic tiredness set in, I traded that for sleep. The ole gal was a trooper though and sent me a letter almost every day. Once we got libo after the third week, I spoke to her on the weekends. (take your cellphone!) dont worry about it, you will be fine, and you will have plenty more to keep your mind occupied.

sonshine

PLC06 Applicant
You shouldn't have to "do" anything - in my opinion - to keep her happy while your at OCS. If she's any kind of woman, she'll understand that you have to give everything you've got for that period of time to the Navy instead of her. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought OCS was 13 weeks? Did I miss something?

makoslim

Air candidate 188
you have plenty of time to write letters! About 7 or 8 hours a night to be exact... did I fail to mention this is the time you are supposed to be sleeping? No clue about the internet access, any grads know about that one? I would like to log onto my email for a couple seconds a month just so my account dosn't expire. Are there any internet cafes in "?Two Log?" (or what ever the closest town is called) so I can do this on Libo?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
sonshine said:
You shouldn't have to "do" anything - in my opinion - to keep her happy while your at OCS. If she's any kind of woman, she'll understand that you have to give everything you've got for that period of time to the Navy instead of her. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought OCS was 13 weeks? Did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed something. You're in the Marine Forum. :icon_smil

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
makoslim said:
you have plenty of time to write letters! About 7 or 8 hours a night to be exact... did I fail to mention this is the time you are supposed to be sleeping? No clue about the internet access, any grads know about that one? I would like to log onto my email for a couple seconds a month just so my account dosn't expire. Are there any internet cafes in "?Two Log?" (or what ever the closest town is called) so I can do this on Libo?

You will not have any internet access while at OCS, however when you get liberty, you can go somewhere to access the internet. There is a coffee shop in Q-Town (the town on base, right off the railroad tracks) called General Java that has like 5 or 6 computers with internet access. You have to pay to use them, but it is more than affordable. Be prepared to wait around, though, as the wait can get long. If you go to any of the cities around the base, some of the hotels may have computers with internet access. I know when I was there (Summer '03) the Best Western in Potomoc Mills had a computer with internet in the lobby.

As for letters, just let your loved ones, friends, etc. know not to expect too many letters from you, as you will be exhausted from training and TRUST ME, you will value sleep over writing letters. However, be sure to tell them to keep sending mail. There is no such thing as getting too much mail at OCS. A lot of times my parents would just send letters saying "Hi" and that was it. The point was, your name was called at mail call (which is every night, except for Sundays and when you're in the field). There is nothing better than having something to read from home before you hit the rack.

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
I wrote to my fiance every night. It helped me feel more connected to him, by telling him all that happened during the day. I knew that he wouldn't be able to write to me and was pleasantly surprised by the 4 letters I received throughout OCS. Just make sure your girlfriend has a general idea of how exhausted and overworked you are going to be. If she's someone you want to have around for a while, she'll get it. She'll understand and while it won't be easy... She'll make it work for her. If you want, get her on here and have her PM me. OCS is tough on us ladies at home too, she will need some support.

Best of luck!!
Jennifer

DCLegal

Rhino Pilot Wife
My ex-boyfriend and I started dating when he was at TBS (I know that is not OCS), but his Captain said something very helpful and useful that I believe is relevant here - keep her informed. The best thing you can do is: 1) make her aware of what you expect and what she should expect before you leave, and 2) let her know that you will make your best effort to keep in touch with her while you are at OCS. By all means, if it would help and is important to you, let her know that you would like her to write often.

If your girlfriend needs a little support during this time, please tell her to join this site as well...we have a fantastic group of ladies, many who have significant others who have gone through or are going through OCS, in the Private Spouses Corner.

SFgirl

Ditto.

Part of the time I dated my ex, he was in TBS. Before he went we discussed how we wouldn't be able to talk that often, etc, and I was fine with that because, well, that's how it is. Now, it turns out that during TBS, except for a few FEXs, we talked at least every other day and even visited often, but I didn't plan on that being the case before hand and was fine going in with expecting contact to be minimal at best due to the perceived circumstances.

My $0.02.

DCLegal said:
My ex-boyfriend and I started dating when he was at TBS (I know that is not OCS), but his Captain said something very helpful and useful that I believe is relevant here - keep her informed. The best thing you can do is: 1) make her aware of what you expect and what she should expect before you leave, and 2) let her know that you will make your best effort to keep in touch with her while you are at OCS. By all means, if it would help and is important to you, let her know that you would like her to write often.

If your girlfriend needs a little support during this time, please tell her to join this site as well...we have a fantastic group of ladies, many who have significant others who have gone through or are going through OCS, in the Private Spouses Corner.

peanut3479

pilot
The library/research center at Marine Corps University has internet access. It's only open until like 1700 on Saturdays, and it opens at 1200 or 1300 on Sunday (don't quote me on those hours - the times are posted on the door if it's closed) - basically just enough time to send a few e-mails or pay a few bills online. It's definitely not the fastest, but it's free and there's plenty of computers, so no waiting.

Shadow9660

Where is the Marine Corps University...which place are you referring to?....cuz I was wondering myself if I should invest in a laptop...I have a strong desktop computer...but obviously wouldnt ship it until 1st duty station, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.