• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and g/f's

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_bastardo

I wouldn't bother with bringing a laptop. You would have to check it in and out of the contraband locker, and I have a feeling you'll get some extra attention. Not to mention you might break it and you'll be dragging all your crap around with you for the first couple days.

If you want to check your email, stop at java's. Trust me, your email will be the least of your concerns at OCS. If you want to keep in touch on weekends, get a phone card or bring your cell phone.

Mail call was the best time of the day, it never felt soo good to have your name called off by your Sgt Instructor. Went to my rack, read up on what the girlfriend wrote to me, and depending on whether or not my gear was squared away and how tired I felt, I usually wrote a little something something back telling her what I did the past couple days.

Definitely bring a computer to TBS with you though.

peanut3479

pilot
MCU is on the riverfront between the airfield and Q-town. If you're on the main road - I think it's Barnett Ave if I remember right - it's near Little Hall. There's a sign near the fire station - follow it under the train tracks (the only way to bypass the train if it's stopped by Q-town by the way), and it'll be in front of you on your right. You'll know you're at MCU because it looks like a well kept college campus (i.e. much different than the rest of the base). You can also get to it from Q-town - go into town and turn right at The Marine Shop, then go straight until you hit it.

Like everyone else said, don't bring a computer to OCS. As far as TBS goes, a computer is almost a requirement. If your desktop works fine, bring it - I know plenty of people who got by just fine with them. If you're going to buy a new computer or upgrade, go with a laptop - just make sure you get one with wireless (Gen. Java in Q-town does have Wi-Fi and it's free). Also, get a printer/scanner/copier for TBS, regardless of computer type - they're worth their weight in gold, plus they're cheap (the HP ones are like $100-150).

reapergm

horned frog said:
There was a guy with the screen name of reapergm who shipped to OCC 187. His girlfriend logs on under reapersgf. I'll bet she could give you some first hand info.

Heres my info. Having a g'f at OCS is the best ever. When I got accepted.. I told her I didnt want her visiting.. that I thought Id have too much work. Within 5 mins of OCS I knew I wanted her here as fast as possible. Shes sitting here right now in the hotel as I write this. Having a g/f is hard. The time away sucks. If she lives close by, try and have her visit. It will help you mentally alot. Its the best relief of stress. She lives about 4 hours away, so I am lucky to have her visit. All the guys in my platoon hate me b/c they're all jealous shes here so much. So def try for that.

The letter writing is true to. You will become too tired to write. Especially when libo starts kickin in... you become really lazy about writing b/c you know you can call in a few days. But... getting letters is like a drug addiction. Mail call is the best part of the day.. better than chow, better than sleep (well, almost). So def tell your girl to write you around the clock, even if its just small amounts. Good luck. Anymore questions.. Ill try and answer soon. (or my girlfriends SN on this).

Shadow9660

reaper,
what are you and your g/f going to do about tbs? i'm asking cuz I have a g/f out here in California...trying to see how to make ends meet....also what about api and flight training...what have you and your g/f agreed on?

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
A girlfriend/boyfriend while going to OCS can be a gift or a curse. I've seen guys/gals leave because of significant others in week 9! However, it depends on the relationship you have. I'll tell you this much, it's an adjustment for both parties. In the end you'll know where each other stands to some degree. I hope this helps.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
before we heard whether or not we had been accepted, a LtCol told our office to drop our girlfriends before we go to OCS. He told us to go to DC and that was a "target rich" environment. Im sure he was joking but it came from the mouf of a LtCol. . . something to think about LOL

Shadow9660

MichaelW,
What your sayin' makes sense, I'm in kinda the same boat with my g/f of 2.5 years. So your saying in the long run its better to try and make the relationship work than try and take a "break" because of all the moving around the military does? I was trying to decide myself....don't want to break up, but I've never really done long distance, and the military is a big one on distances. I've got my g/f's support from day one; just trying to get feedback on how difficult it is for guys in the same boat...

As for the target rich environment, so your saying East Coast girls are *****y huh? Doesn't surprise me.

penderwt

yut king
Good Luck MichaelW! ! !

just wanted to wish michaelw the best of luck with the proposal tonight. happy new year, yall

Bobcat

PLC Sr.'s 05
As if this needs to be said again: give EVERYBODY your address once you're at OCS, and beg EVERYBODY to write you often. Two things happen at OCS that people can't explain: 1) people who never went to church now wish to go every day
2) getting mail becomes perhaps the greatest thing that's ever happened to you, each and every day
While at OCS I was lucky that I live nearby and my girl could come visit on libo. Also, I routinely got letters from her as well as family and friends. Trust me, I can't explain it but receiving mail is just amazing. I know because I was the mail candidate and every day I would have 20 people ask me about when the mail was coming and whether there was mail for them.

Shadow9660

MichaelW,
Good luck on the proposal (let us know how it goes) and thanks again for the advice. Never really experienced long distance in relationships before, so I was just curious, but I'm sure time will fly (hopefully). Keep me posted. Chris

reapergm

Shadow9660 said:
reaper,
what are you and your g/f going to do about tbs? i'm asking cuz I have a g/f out here in California...trying to see how to make ends meet....also what about api and flight training...what have you and your g/f agreed on?

Dont know exactly yet. Shes done with school in May. I know I want her to move down with me (and she does as well), its just a matter of when. Ill probably wait until PCola unless I end up playing the waiting game in TBS. Im going to do what some people I know have... Get a apt in her name and split the bill, then just live there. But I dont know.. Ill keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.