• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Academics

Sonog

pilot
What AaronJB stated above is 110% true...it was true almost 30 years ago when I went through AOCS and it is true today (congratulations regarding commissioning, Aaron!). What Aaron is talking about (correct me if I am wrong) is that when an individual arrives at OCS in excellent physical condition, that individual will be able to better concentrate (and therefore perform) in their studies due to less fatigue. I saw it happen almost 30 years ago...individuals showed up for AOCS in marginal physical condition...so when it came time to pay attention in the classroom, study at night and perform on academic tests, they could NOT due to the fact that they were physically fatigued from PT...and of course they could NOT perform in upcoming PT because they were fatigued and sore from previous PT. Another item...when an individual arrives at OCS in excellent physical condition...that individual is already displaying a motivation and desire to succeed...and it will be noticed by the instructors.

I agree. You don't have to be in stellar shape to "make it through" OCS. This isn't BUDS. However, the better shape you're in will eliminate the stress of PT and beatings. Also, we're dealing with senior Marine Corps Drill Instructors. They can spot weakness from a mile away. When your class is getting destroyed in a beat down they notice who continues to put out. The beatings are designed to fatigue you in just a couple of minutes. The guys who are in shape (and motivated) will be noticed by the DI's. You won't get a cookie or even a verbal acknowledgement, but you'll probably get their respect. I trained super hard for OCS and I never received a single individual beatdown from our DI because I sounded off and performed well in beatings. I sucked at drill and making racks too so that just further proves my point.

Jacob G.

Thanks for the great advice guys; all very good to know. I didn't mean for this to turn into a PT thread, but right now I'm doing: 4 miles < 31:00, max push-ups, and just about max sit-ups for PRT standards. Just wondering if I'm on the right track, considering I have about 6 weeks left. Any input?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Thanks for the great advice guys; all very good to know. I didn't mean for this to turn into a PT thread, but right now I'm doing: 4 miles < 31:00, max push-ups, and just about max sit-ups for PRT standards. Just wondering if I'm on the right track, considering I have about 6 weeks left. Any input?

Take it easy. The worse thing to do is setting yourself up for injuries.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Would you say I'll be fine if I just focus on maintaining this level of fitness, rather than strive to improve it?

Just maintain a comfortable level of fitness, enough to pass the PFA with a score of good, which you well achieved. You don't want to show up and get injured from stress fractures, then get rolled 3-weeks in H-class.

mitrokhin

If you want, I can assign you some homework. Go find a football field, and do lunges across the whole thing one time. Then do body weight squats until your legs crap out on you.

If you do that like, shit, I don't know, like 3 or 4 times the month before you go to OCS, those exercises will suck a little less for you.

If you want to simulate the sandpit, go to the beach parking lot and bear crawl around on the concrete. Then, when you're nice and pissed off, have your buddy kick you in the face once or twice while you are rolling on the beach. We must have gone to the sand pit at least 20 times in my company. One day they pulled us out of classes in Officer Candidate phase every hour on the hour and took us to the sandpit. Then we went back to class and went back to the sandpit. Then again. And again. After time 3 or 4 it started just being amusing.

Insofar as moboards are concerned, do yourself a favor and forget you ever read anything about moboards. If you really want to make your life somewhat more bearable, get a tiny little steno book like one of these http://www.business-solutionsltd.com/online-shopping/image/cache/data/product_image/5473-500x500.jpg and print off the OCR appendix B, six pages to one sheet of computer paper, and tape the cut out pages into that steno book. Bring it with you to OCS. Get it out of your lucky bag as soon as you can. It would behoove you to write down your contact information and emails you'll want to have at OCS inside of that steno book.

Last edited:

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
If you want, I can assign you some homework. Go find a football field, and do lunges across the whole thing one time. Then do body weight squats until your legs crap out on you.

If you do that like, shit, I don't know, like 3 or 4 times the month before you go to OCS, those exercises will suck a little less for you.

If you want to simulate the sandpit, go to the beach parking lot and bear crawl around on the concrete. Then, when you're nice and pissed off, have your buddy kick you in the face once or twice while you are rolling on the beach. We must have gone to the sand pit at least 20 times in my company. One day they pulled us out of classes in Officer Candidate phase every hour on the hour and took us to the sandpit. Then we went back to class and went back to the sandpit. Then again. And again. After time 3 or 4 it started just being amusing.

Insofar as moboards are concerned, do yourself a favor and forget you ever read anything about moboards. If you really want to make your life somewhat more bearable, get a tiny little steno book like one of these http://www.business-solutionsltd.com/online-shopping/image/cache/data/product_image/5473-500x500.jpg and print off the OCR appendix B, six pages to one sheet of computer paper, and tape the cut out pages into that steno book. Bring it with you to OCS. Get it out of your lucky bag as soon as you can. It would behoove you to write down your contact information and emails you'll want to have at OCS inside of that steno book.

Bear crawl to me right now.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Would you say I'll be fine if I just focus on maintaining this level of fitness, rather than strive to improve it?
Just maintain a comfortable level of fitness, enough to pass the PFA with a score of good, which you well achieved. You don't want to show up and get injured from stress fractures, then get rolled 3-weeks in H-class.
The people who get stress fractures are the people who have relatively light or no PT routine and suddenly find themselves having to exercise everyday. The same people who show up having to give 110% to get that 'good' score and then burn out a few weeks later.

Having said that, Jacob, it's not possible to really give you exercise advice without knowing how you are physically. If you feel good and can do more, keep on trucking. If you are sore and feel like you need a rest, you can make it through OCS without getting max scores.

Keegan Hoey

can anyone point me to where the share drive is where OCS study guides might be posted. my husbands in OCS now and he said the engineering portion is tough just because he's never taken an engineering course in his life. I wanted to look through and see if there was anything in there that would be worthwhile to send to him. Thanks! Much appreciated!

Chris_Clark

Advanced E2/C2
Contributor
All of the power points the instructors use are on the shared drive at OCS.. If he is having a hard time he can access them from his laptop to review/ study.