• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Academics

Jacob G.

Hey guys,
I'm heading out for OCS with the 22 MAR class, and I guess I'm just looking for something to chat about.

For anyone who has been to OCS or spoke with anyone who has: What are the academics like in the program?

I took Seamanship, Naval History, and Leadership and Management while in NROTC, however, I'm sure it is still different due to the fact that those were over the course of 16 weeks, meanwhile we knock out a handful of classes in about 2 months at OCS.

Does anyone know how difficult the courses are? Do people get rolled or disenrolled often from failing? Are they anything to worry about; or is it just something there to kind of fill up the time?

Like I said, I'm sure if they picked you up, you show potential to complete them. Just looking for something to talk about. Thanks.

priorguy

My buddy graduated in December - one of the things he told me to review was MOBOARDS. He said there are some good Coast Guard videos on youtube.

MGoBrew11

pilot
If you have a four year degree, you can pass OCS academics. Not hard. Your days will be packed but you will have ample time to cram. Might not feel like it at the time, but it is. No one in my class rolled for academics. Pretty rare.

Larick

None
Contributor
Yeah don't study moboards. Just focus on staying physically fit/active. I learned Moboards before I left and forgot everything once we started NAV and NOS which is about 7-8 weeks into OCS. And don't fall asleep in class! Haha

44magnum

I agree. Don't study. It won't give you any advantage. Everything you need for academics will be adequately taught to set you up for success. Moboards are tough for some people, but if you're one of those people, you sure as hell won't be able to learn them from a youtube video. Learn Appendix Bravo verbatim. That should be your priority. And if you want to do extra, learn Charlie. That should keep you busy for awhile. But seriously. . . learn Bravo. All of it.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I didn't look at a single moboard before I went, and I haven't looked at one since. Especially if you're not going SWO (and maybe even if you are, but that's beyond my knowledge), it's not worth the effort to learn moboards before you go. They'll teach you well enough to pass the test, and then you'll purge that and start learning important things like how to stencil your name onto your undershirts fly a plane.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Most of the stuff is straight up memorizing the power points. It's like chugging water from a fire hose. NAV and NOS is pretty straight forward when it comes to graphing. You essentially get two more chances to redeem yourself before you get rolled to the next class.

I didn't studied as hard as the majority of people in my class, and I ranked just about dead last in all the academics, but that didn't bother me because I passed. Also, I was one of the least stressed there. Doesn't matter if you get 100 or a 70, in the end everyone that passes is will be an Ensign that doesn't know jack s**t. (except for priors)

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
The academics are not hard and should not be stressed. Almost everything is straight rote memorization from powerpoints (and some very well made study guides from previous classes available on the share drive). Also, if you can follow directions then you are capable of passing NAV and NOS without issues. The LTs that teach NAV and NOS are very good at it too. I'm sure they could teach a dog how to do a moboard or plot a course on a chart.

Focus on being prepared physically. Everything else will fall into place.

priorguy

You may also wanna take a look at Nav Rules of the Road, UNREP procedures, ship turbine/propulsion mechanics, Radar systems, and the science behind 'fission' of a nuclear reactor. That should get you through week 1 of OCS!!

I'm not saying you should become a master moboard plotter - I'm simply recommending the you take a look at what a moboard is and what it entails. I can see this being a problem for some people so it doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself IF you're already done with the appendixes. SHEESH lol

Jacob G.

@Magnum44 we need to know ALL of Appendix B?! Descriptions of the Leadership Traits, Breast Insignia, and everything? Just wondering; I figured they'd get into the basic Chain of Command, General Orders, Code of Conduct, etc., but they get that in depth?

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
@Magnum44 we need to know ALL of Appendix B?! Descriptions of the Leadership Traits, Breast Insignia, and everything? Just wondering; I figured they'd get into the basic Chain of Command, General Orders, Code of Conduct, etc., but they get that in depth?
Every word of Appendix B is fair game.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Focus on being prepared physically. Everything else will fall into place.
What AaronJB stated above is 110% true...it was true almost 30 years ago when I went through AOCS and it is true today (congratulations regarding commissioning, Aaron!). What Aaron is talking about (correct me if I am wrong) is that when an individual arrives at OCS in excellent physical condition, that individual will be able to better concentrate (and therefore perform) in their studies due to less fatigue. I saw it happen almost 30 years ago...individuals showed up for AOCS in marginal physical condition...so when it came time to pay attention in the classroom, study at night and perform on academic tests, they could NOT due to the fact that they were physically fatigued from PT...and of course they could NOT perform in upcoming PT because they were fatigued and sore from previous PT. Another item...when an individual arrives at OCS in excellent physical condition...that individual is already displaying a motivation and desire to succeed...and it will be noticed by the instructors.