• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 08APR2024 SNA/SNFO BOARD

Jstingo

SNFO Select
Anyone know if Air Force pilot selections and air guard are still next to impossible to come by? Been that way for a while so I wouldn’t be surprised if so
My brother-in-law is an Air Force pilot who took the ROTC path. From what he's shared, the process differs from the Navy; in the Navy, you apply for OCS based on your desired role (hence…), whereas in the Air Force, pilot selection happens after graduating from ROTC, with no guarantee, depending on available slots. OTS is even more challenging because the Air Force fills in pilot slots not taken by ROTC or academy graduates through OTS.

The Air Guard operates differently, with each reserve center having its own quotas for pilots. You apply directly to the squadron you're interested in. Overall, you just have to pick one poison works for you and your goals.

Jstingo

SNFO Select
If I get NFO I def wanna be on the hornet either the f/a-18 or the e/a-18g would be sweet. I’d do the p-8s or the other options but I’d prefer one of those two. But if I get my choice I’d rather fly h-60s because I have spent 15 years working on them and I know them very well
I thought the f/a-18 was modified as a single seater? Not calling you out, just curious since I never worked on fighters in my AD career.

Jstingo

SNFO Select
I

think the supers are two seaters with an NFO being a whizo might be wrong though
Right! I also think going fighters as a NFO would be more exciting. Does anyone know the pipeline, requirements and the competitiveness to get selected for fighters as a NFO?

tward1512

Right! I also think going fighters as a NFO would be more exciting. Does anyone know the pipeline, requirements and the competitiveness to get selected for fighters as a NFO?
My old XO is an NFO who flies in the F/A-18. He said it’s obviously very different now as he didn’t start flight training until around 2002 when the Navy was still flying Tomcats and the Legacy Hornet and the Supers were just starting to get phased into the fleet. But, as people have said before, and he also said, a lot of it is needs of the Navy. All you can really do is study hard, stand out in flight school, have a little faith and eventually you’ll get to where you need to be.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
What about pull ups? I know that isn't part of the PRT but is training pull ups something to consider prior to OCS?
Nimitz Hall does not have pull up bars, but there are some around training country. The most back exercise I ever got during OCS was doing banded rows during squadron PT and doing pull ups in King Hall during student pool and senior CandiO phase. You most likely get an opportunity to work on your back (staff realize this) so you might as well work on it now.

Tyr

Has anyone seen my wingman?
Nimitz Hall does not have pull up bars, but there are some around training country. The most back exercise I ever got during OCS was doing banded rows during squadron PT and doing pull ups in King Hall during student pool and senior CandiO phase. You most likely get an opportunity to work on your back (staff realize this) so you might as well work on it now.
The question I have is: how’s the chow? Good physical performance is all about nutrition hahaha

cjwinton01

SNA Applicant
any advice on getting through fast cruise and RLP? I can beast out the PRT but IIRC the physical events are mostly HIIT.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
The question I have is: how’s the chow? Good physical performance is all about nutrition hahaha
I actually kinda liked it. It’s not a 5 star restaurant by any means, but you can definitely get some decent grub. Everyone eats peanut butter tho so there will probably be a few days where they run out. They color code the different entrees and sides (red, yellow, green) based on how healthy they are for you