• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC Fitness and supplements

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
great news! i read it in one of dick couch's books (hardly a medical opinion); but in there the nutritionist that addressed the bud/s guys told them not to take creatine cause it makes you cramp up and stuff when your running/swimming. but i'm happy to hear from a pro that it doesn't! that book was written a little while ago too.

supplements are just for recovery. i work out 2-3 times a day and take the weekends off. try and sleep at night and eat non inflammatory foods and drink a gallon or 2 of water and or seltzer a day. since i started i havent been sick at all w/ no stomach issues. and i feel great all the time. nitrix and NO supplements i stopped because those messed with my stomach a lot.

i started taking fish oil when i busted my ankle playing baseball and i found it was real good for your joints... decreased swelling for sure and my joints no longer cracked or hurt when i moved (nature's ibuprofin?)... it was like they were lubed up or something. the bcaa, glut, and creatine is strictly recovery. ala and cla i'm not sold on... my buddy was using it in his stack for food breakdown and another recovery/immune booster. so i bought a bottle of each and have been taking it. cant say i really notice a difference... so i'll stop that when the bottles run out. zma i take too before i go to bed and i swear by it. the stuff is amazing. i'm never sore with it (i'll only take it on really rough work out days though cause it'll give you some intense dreams at night)

good? bad? thoughts?
just been testing and trying different things as ive trained and worked out while growing up and found all these to work for me. let me know what you think cause I am in no way an expert.

You need to stop working out 2-3 times a day and let your body rest and recover.

I also think your wasting tons of money on putting garbage into your body. 99% of the supplement game is selling this stuff to teenagers who borrow their mom's credit card. Creatine and all that stuff isn't going to get you jacked, and personally I don't think that it's worth it to spend the $$ on these things for what... maybe... MAYBE... adding an extra 5# on your bench over 2 months than what you would have without it. Then you see things like Hydroxycut getting scrapped because it's hepatoxic. I just saw a commercial the other day from an ambulance chaser... the usual "has you or a loved one blah blah blah."

But if you want to put that shit in your body and burn the cash while doing so... it's your money. Multi vits and whey? Ok. Creatine... ehhh. ZMA and NO? Now your just retarded trying to help your "recovery"

RussBow6

You need to stop working out 2-3 times a day and let your body rest and recover.

I also think your wasting tons of money on putting garbage into your body. 99% of the supplement game is selling this stuff to teenagers who borrow their mom's credit card. Creatine and all that stuff isn't going to get you jacked, and personally I don't think that it's worth it to spend the $$ on these things for what... maybe... MAYBE... adding an extra 5# on your bench over 2 months than what you would have without it. Then you see things like Hydroxycut getting scrapped because it's hepatoxic. I just saw a commercial the other day from an ambulance chaser... the usual "has you or a loved one blah blah blah."

But if you want to put that shit in your body and burn the cash while doing so... it's your money.

not looking to get jacked... i dont even bench anymore. thats why i said it was all about recovery. supplements dont make you stronger they help your body recover faster so you can spend more time training. i spent all college trying to get big to help hit home runs. now trying to switch my body type from that to navy shape w/ running and pushing etc has been a tough change of pace.

couldnt agree with you more on the money. once these bottles are gone i'm going just fish oil and the multi. if my diet is good enough then i think my body will take care of itself.

the rest i'm doing great with. xf 5 times a week, run 3 times a week, big lifts of back/front squat, cleans, shoulder press, dead lifts twice a week then ill just do pushups, pullups, and crunches throughout the day and try to hit a # to complete by the time i go to bed. so the only thing i'm constantly beating my body with is the crossfit but those work outs change everyday anyway

thanks for the advice though definitely some good stuff! and go sox... i wish you guys didnt trade joe crede though... he's my cousin ha

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
supplements dont make you stronger they help your body recover faster so you can spend more time training.

thus supposedly allowing you to do more volume... which makes you stronger

xf 5 times a week, run 3 times a week, big lifts of back/front squat, cleans, shoulder press, dead lifts twice a week then ill just do pushups, pullups, and crunches throughout the day and try to hit a # to complete by the time i go to bed. so the only thing i'm constantly beating my body with is the crossfit but those work outs change everyday anyway

your just wasting your time dude. more isn't better.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

But if you want to put that shit in your body and burn the cash while doing so... it's your money. Multi vits and whey? Ok. Creatine... ehhh. ZMA and NO? Now your just retarded trying to help your "recovery"

How do you know that those supplements don't work? I'm not currently on anything save for whey/casein protein and a multi, but all of the above listed items do have some effect - How large? That is debatable but I've used them all and experienced positive results which are backed up by scientific studies.

So tell me - Have you taken any of them? If not, how do you know they don't work? If lifting is a hobby of his, one of which I share, then there are worse places to spend money...

not looking to get jacked... i dont even bench anymore.

Don't let someone discourage you from doing something if you enjoy it. If you don't want to bench or do whatever type of workout anymore on your own accord, then fine... But don't let someone else negatively influence something that is beneficial to your health.

thus supposedly allowing you to do more volume... which makes you stronger

your just wasting your time dude. more isn't better.

"You're" - Sorry, pet peeve.

More isn't better? Really? In what world are you living?

If we're specifically speaking of working out - The human body has an incredible ability to adapt to whatever stresses it is experiencing. I'd bet you'd say that a guy running 50 marathons in 50 days is overtraining... I probably would have too, until seeing the scientific studies that showed after a period of break-down his body adapted to the ultra-high mileage he was putting in.

Increasing volume is a way of progressing and getting stronger, what is wrong with that?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Many supplements do work. The problem seems to be where folks who take them don't actually need them....specifically, those who don't work out at either: 1. A high enough level of exertion/frequency and/or 2. Those who take the wrong supplements for the exercises they are performing.

For the majority of the population...including those on this board...your body will see minimal gain by taking supplements, including protein, whey, etc., UNLESS you are doing 2+ hours a day working out. Most of us can see the same benefit from maintaining a healthy diet. Save your money for expensive whiskey.

That being said, I suppose there is some sort of placebo effect where...'If I am spending this much money, I darn well better be getting bigger/faster'.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
great news! i read it in one of dick couch's books (hardly a medical opinion); but in there the nutritionist that addressed the bud/s guys told them not to take creatine cause it makes you cramp up and stuff when your running/swimming. but i'm happy to hear from a pro that it doesn't! that book was written a little while ago too.

supplements are just for recovery. i work out 2-3 times a day and take the weekends off. try and sleep at night and eat non inflammatory foods and drink a gallon or 2 of water and or seltzer a day. since i started i havent been sick at all w/ no stomach issues. and i feel great all the time. nitrix and NO supplements i stopped because those messed with my stomach a lot.

i started taking fish oil when i busted my ankle playing baseball and i found it was real good for your joints... decreased swelling for sure and my joints no longer cracked or hurt when i moved (nature's ibuprofin?)... it was like they were lubed up or something. the bcaa, glut, and creatine is strictly recovery. ala and cla i'm not sold on... my buddy was using it in his stack for food breakdown and another recovery/immune booster. so i bought a bottle of each and have been taking it. cant say i really notice a difference... so i'll stop that when the bottles run out. zma i take too before i go to bed and i swear by it. the stuff is amazing. i'm never sore with it (i'll only take it on really rough work out days though cause it'll give you some intense dreams at night)

good? bad? thoughts?
just been testing and trying different things as ive trained and worked out while growing up and found all these to work for me. let me know what you think cause I am in no way an expert.

There were some early studies...studies as in professional type, conducted at a University under controlled conditions...which indicated that creatine did cause cramping...but, I have never seen a study which indicated that creatine caused cramping at a rate higher than anything else.

What I think??? Unless you are pounding the iron or cinder on a regular basis for 2+ hours a day, I think you will see minimal gains. Most likely not worth your money.

break.

I tried for years to get USN to let me run a series of tests involving CFET, strength training and certain supplements...all using non-aviators and got shut down at every turn. I am very certain that USN has NEVER tested NOX Nitric whatever v. g forces.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
How do you know that those supplements don't work? I'm not currently on anything save for whey/casein protein and a multi, but all of the above listed items do have some effect - How large? That is debatable but I've used them all and experienced positive results which are backed up by scientific studies.

So tell me - Have you taken any of them? If not, how do you know they don't work? If lifting is a hobby of his, one of which I share, then there are worse places to spend money...

For every research article you can post about the benefits of creatine , I can post one that points to it's ineffectiveness. If I was going to average a couple hundred $$ a year for it, I'd like to see the Mayo Clinic say that it's legit (they say it isn't). It's just as wasteful as Starbucks (imo)... and as for your 2nd part, I have two empty bottles of green bulge next to me right now (and 4 tubs of muscle milk.. lol).

But I can't argue with someone if they think it works for them

More isn't better? Really? In what world are you living?

If we're specifically speaking of working out - The human body has an incredible ability to adapt to whatever stresses it is experiencing. I'd bet you'd say that a guy running 50 marathons in 50 days is overtraining... I probably would have too, until seeing the scientific studies that showed after a period of break-down his body adapted to the ultra-high mileage he was putting in.

Increasing volume is a way of progressing and getting stronger, what is wrong with that?

Can you explain to me exactly what running 50 marathons in 50 days is training for? Do I really need to post all the abstracts from published studies on overtraining? Have you discovered something that every other physical trainer and doctor out there doesn't know?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol112/table.htm
http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol52/table.htm

Studies for and against

(Not saying it doesn't work... just saying it's effectiveness is inconsistent at different levels. Thus not worth it imo)

I respectfully disagree...In the first link you provided, all professional studies, of the 20 performance related abstracts (strength power and size, anaerobic work, repeated anaerobic work and aerobic work) there were 6 did not improve, 2 could improve and 12 did improve articles. The second link, with similar abstracts, had similar results althought the did not improve and the did improve were closer.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I respectfully disagree...In the first link you provided, all professional studies, of the 20 performance related abstracts (strength power and size, anaerobic work, repeated anaerobic work and aerobic work) there were 6 did not improve, 2 could improve and 12 did improve articles. The second link, with similar abstracts, had similar results althought the did not improve and the did improve were closer.

You asked to see studies against and I posted those links because it was easier than reading 60 different abstracts and posting many different links... I wasn't trying to persuade or dissuade you. Disagreeing with me about consistency? Based on what I posted, how can you say that a 33% or worse rate of failure is consistent? And of those remaining ones that were successful, is there a consistent, measurable amount of improvement? (not that a random sampling of studies is indicative of the results of every study out there, but it's the random sampling that your saying is consistent)

And for the last time, it's personal. I'm not willing to spend the $$ on an unknown anymore because I don't need an edge in the weight room over the other guy. I don't need to throw 90mph or hit 20 home runs anymore, so I couldn't care less about the shit.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
You asked to see studies against and I posted those links because it was easier than reading 60 different abstracts and posting many different links... I wasn't trying to persuade or dissuade you. Disagreeing with me about consistency? Based on what I posted, how can you say that a 33% or worse rate of failure is consistent? And of those remaining ones that were successful, is there a consistent, measurable amount of improvement? (not that a random sampling of studies is indicative of the results of every study out there, but it's the random sampling that your saying is consistent)

And for the last time, it's personal. I'm not willing to spend the $$ on an unknown anymore because I don't need an edge in the weight room over the other guy. I don't need to throw 90mph or hit 20 home runs anymore, so I couldn't care less about the shit.

Well, I failed to see studies against creatine; only those which suggested:
1. It works pretty good. 2. It might not work, but, it might work. 3. It didn't work (and perhaps posted no noticeable gains)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
For every research article you can post about the benefits of creatine , I can post one that points to it's ineffectiveness. If I was going to average a couple hundred $$ a year for it, I'd like to see the Mayo Clinic say that it's legit (they say it isn't). It's just as wasteful as Starbucks (imo)... and as for your 2nd part, I have two empty bottles of green bulge next to me right now (and 4 tubs of muscle milk.. lol).

But I can't argue with someone if they think it works for them

Can you explain to me exactly what running 50 marathons in 50 days is training for? Do I really need to post all the abstracts from published studies on overtraining? Have you discovered something that every other physical trainer and doctor out there doesn't know?

Eh, hundreds of dollars a year? Lets not exaggerate too much here. When I was taking creatine I spent approximately $15-20 every four or five months.

It was a response to the statement on overtraining. You stated that training more than once a day would lead to overtraining - It won't unless you're doing some extremely severe type of HIT multiple times a day each and every day.

Pill_Hacker said:
While there are some that 'work', that operative word is still relative. Does it work like it says? Sure. Will it make you bigger? Probably not.

It works, but it doesn't?

Thats fine, and I may not be willing to spend money on some arbitrary hobby that has no actual health benefit but I'm not going to criticize someone who is and gets enjoyment from it.

No, it may not be necessary to bench press 225, 315, or 405lbs, but within that same thought process - How necessary is it to be able to improve a few strokes in your golf game? What about lowering your quarter mile time for your muscle car you work on? Spending $1,000 on a new camera because you enjoy photography? Etc...

Not much is necessary anymore, but weightlifting is a constant, it will always be available to you and it gives you something to strive for. That - Goal setting and achieving, is healthy.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
First you say that 50 marathons in 50 days isnt overtraining, now you say that training every day isn't overtraining unless its pretty severe HIIT? I would think that running a marathon would be more severe. Whatever, this arguing is retarded. Later.