• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC Fitness and supplements

Romez

Pending everything works out as it should (not able to schedule a flight physical until the end of July), I will be attending the OCC class in October.

My question is for those of you that take supplements for working out; I am currently on a stack of vitamin packs, protein and creatine. I assume that we are not allowed to take these supplements to Quantico.

Do any of you have suggestions on scaling back before beginning OCC? I.E. Should I just stop taking them two weeks out or slowly cut back over a two month span? I am not sure if this even matters, but I don't want to go cold turkey two weeks out and have my body try and adapt right before the qualifying PFT.

If this seems ridiculous, I apologize but I would like the thoughts of those who have had similar situations.

Thank you.

torpedo0126

other than a reduction in bloating, you will be fine. Btw, run a few searches and you will your going to have to watch all those supplements because a lot of them are restricted in a flight status.

ru838434

I told the flight surgeon that I take creatine, glutamine, and nitric oxide. He said that they weren't allowed, so I had to quit taking them. Then he said that everyone takes them in the fleet, and that you can't be tested for supplements unless you're basically taking pure testosterone.

jtmedli

pilot
One of my friends had to redo his bloodwork because they found protein in his urine. Not sure if the supplements had anything to do with that, but that may get you flagged. Hope that helps somewhat.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
can I still take these?

Flintstones_pills.gif

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'd fully cut them out a month prior to shipping - That is what I did and I had no issues.

You won't be allowed to take anything at TBS either besides whey. The only thing you are technically allowed to use during flight school, according to the flight doc, is a multivitamin and whey.

Tallahassee... Lifting at The Leach?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I told the flight surgeon that I take creatine, glutamine, and nitric oxide. He said that they weren't allowed, so I had to quit taking them. Then he said that everyone takes them in the fleet, and that you can't be tested for supplements unless you're basically taking pure testosterone.

You don't think they can test for creatine/glutamine/Nitric Oxide?

Well, if you someday get into a mishap, and during the investigation when they take your blood and urine you manage to not get caught, come back and let us know.

Personally, I don't want to take that chance. Because if you were caught with supplements in your system which were prohibited and you were in a mishap, even if it was NOT your fault, they have every right to take away your wings.

Food for thought.

FTR, my doc told me creatine was in the process of getting on the approved list. HOWEVER he said Nitric Oxide was the BIG no no.

ru838434

**Disclaimer** I was just paraphrasing what I was told. If I was going to offer advice it would be to stop taking them entirely, so as not to bring your integrity into question, or to discredit yourself or the Armed Forces of the United States.

Also, he said that so far, nitric oxide has been shown to increase tolerance to g-forces.

RussBow6

One of my friends had to redo his bloodwork because they found protein in his urine. Not sure if the supplements had anything to do with that, but that may get you flagged. Hope that helps somewhat.

i pissed to much protein at meps. they were chill about it though and let me hang out and drink water for a little while... retested and i was good to go.

i take fish oil, creatine, cla, ala, bcaas, glut, and a multi. ive heard creatine is bad for endurance muscle fibers though so i'm going to get off it when i'm done with this round of training

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
**Disclaimer** I was just paraphrasing what I was told. If I was going to offer advice it would be to stop taking them entirely, so as not to bring your integrity into question, or to discredit yourself or the Armed Forces of the United States.

Also, he said that so far, nitric oxide has been shown to increase tolerance to g-forces.

Shown by whom....and, where did they do the testing? I am certain that USN has NEVER allowed such testing.....I am also thinking that the flight surgeon was full of fecal material.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
i pissed to much protein at meps. they were chill about it though and let me hang out and drink water for a little while... retested and i was good to go.

i take fish oil, creatine, cla, ala, bcaas, glut, and a multi. ive heard creatine is bad for endurance muscle fibers though so i'm going to get off it when i'm done with this round of training

Creatine is not bad for slow twitch fibers. BTW, why are you taking all those supplements?

RussBow6

Creatine is not bad for slow twitch fibers. BTW, why are you taking all those supplements?

great news! i read it in one of dick couch's books (hardly a medical opinion); but in there the nutritionist that addressed the bud/s guys told them not to take creatine cause it makes you cramp up and stuff when your running/swimming. but i'm happy to hear from a pro that it doesn't! that book was written a little while ago too.

supplements are just for recovery. i work out 2-3 times a day and take the weekends off. try and sleep at night and eat non inflammatory foods and drink a gallon or 2 of water and or seltzer a day. since i started i havent been sick at all w/ no stomach issues. and i feel great all the time. nitrix and NO supplements i stopped because those messed with my stomach a lot.

i started taking fish oil when i busted my ankle playing baseball and i found it was real good for your joints... decreased swelling for sure and my joints no longer cracked or hurt when i moved (nature's ibuprofin?)... it was like they were lubed up or something. the bcaa, glut, and creatine is strictly recovery. ala and cla i'm not sold on... my buddy was using it in his stack for food breakdown and another recovery/immune booster. so i bought a bottle of each and have been taking it. cant say i really notice a difference... so i'll stop that when the bottles run out. zma i take too before i go to bed and i swear by it. the stuff is amazing. i'm never sore with it (i'll only take it on really rough work out days though cause it'll give you some intense dreams at night)

good? bad? thoughts?
just been testing and trying different things as ive trained and worked out while growing up and found all these to work for me. let me know what you think cause I am in no way an expert.