• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC Boards?

Conaway

Question guys,

I'm graduating in late December this year and what to go to OCC-197. Does anyone think that this is possible or will I have to go to a later one like 198 or 199? When is the latest that I have to get my package in so I can go to the Jan class?

Unless you have physical issues you know will need to be cleared, it's more than enough time. Excluding the fact it took a total of 8 months to be physically qualified, once I was, I retook the ASTB, contracted, did my PFT and was selected in all less than a month for 196. You have plenty of time. Just work hard, prove your desire, and good things will happen. Good luck! S/F

jostuar1

I am just starting the application process right now. I took the ASTB when I graduated 2 years ago and got AQR (6) PFAR (6) FOFAR (7) and OAR (58). I've been working for two years and am fed up and anxious to get started. My goal is to get an air contract and I'm expecting a call from an OSO today to set up a physical fitness test. They said the requirements were 3 miles in less than 28 min, 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and 20 pullups. I consider myself to be very fit and the running is no problem but I think I may come up a little short on the pullups. Assuming the other aspects of my package are well put together...is this going to hamper my acceptance? Can someone give me an idea as to what they think the earliest class possible for me to get into would be OCC-197 or OCC-198 or beyond?

docholiday

I am just starting the application process right now. I took the ASTB when I graduated 2 years ago and got AQR (6) PFAR (6) FOFAR (7) and OAR (58). I've been working for two years and am fed up and anxious to get started. My goal is to get an air contract and I'm expecting a call from an OSO today to set up a physical fitness test. They said the requirements were 3 miles in less than 28 min, 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and 20 pullups. I consider myself to be very fit and the running is no problem but I think I may come up a little short on the pullups. Assuming the other aspects of my package are well put together...is this going to hamper my acceptance? Can someone give me an idea as to what they think the earliest class possible for me to get into would be OCC-197 or OCC-198 or beyond?

The run has to be less than 24:00 but you have to remember that is a minimum. I think it's fare to say that anything under 22:00 is competative. As far as 197, I know they are having pre-selections this week but another board should come up before it starts so you should have some time.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
As our friend from Tombstone mentioned, 28:00 is not the minimum for the run. To be competitive I'd say aim for a 21:00.

mc282000

Weighted pull-ups are definitely the way to succeed.

My approach, which follows, has allowed me to achieve 30+ pull-ups.

My first four sets I use a 45-lb plate, typically doing 12-14 reps, then 10, 8, 7.
I then switch to no weight for four additional max-rep sets.
Then I'll do four sets of both over and under hand lat-pulldowns.
I'll finish with four sets of heavy rows.

Hey Ryan -

How many times a week do you do this workout? If not everyday, what else do you do. If you're at 30+ pullups, I'd like to know more about your secret sauce:D. PS. I also weigh ~ 165lbs which I believe you weigh as well. Thanks for the help.