• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OC up for Chief

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
I am up for my Chief's exam next January, and feel a little bad going for it, because I feel as if I am going to take someone's spot. I would only be a chief, if I make it, for about 3 months. I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it is worth it to take the exam.

phrogpilot73

I am up for my Chief's exam next January, and feel a little bad going for it, because I feel as if I am going to take someone's spot. I would only be a chief, if I make it, for about 3 months. I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it is worth it to take the exam.
Take the exam. What happens if you don't make it through OCS, do you want to go back as a Chief, or a 1st Class?

boobcheese

I was in the same situation as you and opted not to take the exam. Granted by the time I was eligible I had been at college for 2yrs and I don't think my evals would have been competitive with someone in the fleet. While I could have concievably picked up chief I doubt I would have even been paid E-7 before commissioning and frocking would mean absolutely nothing to an OC. Since you are STA-21 you don't have to worry about OCS and as long as you don't do something seriously stupid it is a virtual certainty that you will be commissioned. I say leave the slot for someone who could actually use it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I took the Chief's Exam at school as an STA-21 guy. Made board, but I think there is little chance of actually putting it on due to the circumstance....rightfully so.

However, if you can put it on before you go to school it will make a huge difference (I am assuming you are an STA-21 guy...) because it will mean that extra pay while you are at school. Take the exam, if you make you deserved to make it. Period.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I say go for it. If you get it, then it was your spot, not someone elses.

SQUIDutah

pilot
Do it. We had two OC's make it this cycle. We also had one opt to not take the exam and he was sent back to the fleet as a E-6.

k_smittay

Take it!

Do the best you can at all times, regardless that you are in STA-21. If you pick up chief, it is because you earned it, not because someone gave the spot up for you. It is almost arrogant to think that you don't need, or deserve, to pick up chief. It is an honor to be eligible to go through the boards, and it should be treated as such! Take every oppurtunity that you have. Good luck with the test/board!

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
words of wisdom

Take it!

Do the best you can at all times, regardless that you are in STA-21. If you pick up chief, it is because you earned it, not because someone gave the spot up for you. It is almost arrogant to think that you don't need, or deserve, to pick up chief. It is an honor to be eligible to go through the boards, and it should be treated as such! Take every oppurtunity that you have. Good luck with the test/board!

I didn't mean to come across as arrogant. I understand how it could sound as such. Thank you for your input, I think that I am going to take it. Just to see if I got what it takes.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I'll just echo what has been said. Take the exam! You won't be doing anyone any favors by opting out on your own...let the boards make the decisions.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same as some of the folks above: I was a few months from graduating and felt that taking the test was taking away from my real goal of graduating so I opted out of taking the test. Again, the likelyhood of making CPO while in the program is very slim. We had a guy that showed up to the university and made Chief, but he was selected from his previous EVALS and before he was selected for the commissioning program.

-ea6bflyr

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'd say take it. The only reason I am even opening my mouth about this was because during my stay at OCS, had a guy drop out and during his time in student pool (out-processing limbo-land) he made chief and was really happy about it. You never know what may happen. He didn't make it through OCS, and while he won't go back to the fleet as an ENS, he goes back as a chief. Not a bad gig. Do it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We had several guys make Chief while OC's (under ECP, that is. The selection numbers may be different now w/ STA-21), so it definitely happens. Getting past the "moral" argument of taking away spots, isn't also a matter of money? Yes, you're on OC, but aren't you paid as an E-x? Why cheat yourself out of what you earned?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Been a while, but-----

Do not they still have an "alternate" list in cases such as this?

Had a friend, O-5 selected for O-6, retired shortly after promoted. Community was very upset that he had "taken away a slot" they may had their name on it.

Nonsense. Their ain't no ironclad guarantees, anywhere.

boobcheese

If you think you have the legitimate prospect of not only getting "frocked" but actually getting paid as an E-7 for some amount of time, then I would absolutely give it my best shot. But since you indicated you would be commissioning about three months after the results are out, I'd guess the chances of that are pretty slim. While making chief in itself is an accomplishment to be proud of, you wouldn't go through initiation, you wouldn't put on the anchors, your career wouldn't be advanced and in all likelihood you would never see it in your paycheck. For me personally I didn't see the potential benefits to me (negligible) outweighing potential benefits to a career enlisted type. I wouldn't fault anyone in your position for choosing one way or the other, that was just how I looked at it.