• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OC up for Chief

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Take the test. It's the board's job to decide who should be selected. The board knows you're an OC. If they select you anyway, they obviously want you to be a Chief.

It can also come in quite handy if there is ever a RIF after you're commissioned.

boobcheese

It can also come in quite handy if there is ever a RIF after you're commissioned.

What difference would having been a chief make if their is a RIF? Along similar lines, if you were only frocked before you commission were you ever technically a chief/E-7 as far as your statement is concerned? I am not trying to argue just genuinely curious.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What difference would having been a chief make if their is a RIF? Along similar lines, if you were only frocked before you commission were you ever technically a chief/E-7 as far as your statement is concerned? I am not trying to argue just genuinely curious.
Normally a prior enlisted officer that has been RIFed can go back to the senior enlisted rank held (not talking LDOs - they have their own rules). If he is RIFed and wants to complete his 20 for a retirement, it's better to go back as a Chief than as a First Class. It'll save him a bunch on uniforms too....

Not sure how it would work for a frocked guy.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Normally a prior enlisted officer that has been RIFed can go back to the senior enlisted rank held (not talking LDOs - they have their own rules). If he is RIFed and wants to complete his 20 for a retirement, it's better to go back as a Chief than as a First Class. It'll save him a bunch on uniforms too.....
I did not know that was possible.....sounds like the sketchiest of drug deals.....This brings about the need for a Pilot to Chief thread!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Normally a prior enlisted officer that has been RIFed can go back to the senior enlisted rank held (not talking LDOs - they have their own rules). If he is RIFed and wants to complete his 20 for a retirement, it's better to go back as a Chief than as a First Class. It'll save him a bunch on uniforms too....

Not sure how it would work for a frocked guy.

I thought that wa only possible if you were an LDO, not a regular officer. If it is the case, I have never heard of it happening in the Navy. Do you know of any guys in in the 90's? It would be an interesting story.......

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Well, I made board last year, my first time up. I thought I had a pretty good chance, but obviously didn't get selected. This year, I should be even more competive. At least on paper anyway. I dunno how the board "looks at" an OC.. So, I'm definately taking it in January and will be awating the results (just maybe not so anxiously this year).. Good luck to ya..

EM1

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I thought that wa only possible if you were an LDO, not a regular officer. If it is the case, I have never heard of it happening in the Navy. Do you know of any guys in in the 90's? It would be an interesting story.......
It might have changed with all officers now being Regular Navy. It used to be USN could not be RIFed and USNR could be RIFed. The USNR guys could return to the enlisted ranks to finish their 20 years. I think they went back at E-6 or the highest enlisted rank held. I knew a guy that got RIFed in the early 90s that went back as a First Class. He was a Third Class when he went to AOCS. He made Chief the next year and retired as a Senior Chief 6 years after that. When he retired, it was as LT/O-3E as you retire at the highest rank held.

The Army after Viet Nam had a lot of these guys. When I was a kid, I knew a bunch. My Dad's last Command Sargent Major was a reserve O-6. He was a Capt (O-3) Infantry company commander his last tour in Viet Nam. He got a battlefield USAR commission and was RIFed right after the war as he didn't have a college degree. He went back to SFC (E-7) after the RIF. He kept his USAR commission throughout his enlisted career as IRR, got his degree and kept up with the officer courses he needed for promotion.

When I was in Army ROTC during college, the SFC that was my company Sargent during the summer advanced camp was a LTC in the USAR IRR. He was at 17 years, saw an announcement looking for a Reserve officer for 3 years of active duty as the commander of a college ROTC unit and applied. I saw him that fall when my unit visited his school. He was a LTC and the commander.

The Army used to be big on having the stellar enlisted guys hold reserve commissions in the IRR. It gave them their war time platoon and company commanders if a big expansion was needed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It might have changed with all officers now being Regular Navy. It used to be USN could not be RIFed and USNR could be RIFed. The USNR guys could return to the enlisted ranks to finish their 20 years. I think they went back at E-6 or the highest enlisted rank held. I knew a guy that got RIFed in the early 90s that went back as a First Class. He was a Third Class when he went to AOCS. He made Chief the next year and retired as a Senior Chief 6 years after that. When he retired, it was as LT/O-3E as you retire at the highest rank held.

The Army after Viet Nam had a lot of these guys. When I was a kid, I knew a bunch. My Dad's last Command Sargent Major was a reserve O-6. He was a Capt (O-3) Infantry company commander his last tour in Viet Nam. He got a battlefield USAR commission and was RIFed right after the war as he didn't have a college degree. He went back to SFC (E-7) after the RIF. He kept his USAR commission throughout his enlisted career as IRR, got his degree and kept up with the officer courses he needed for promotion.

When I was in Army ROTC during college, the SFC that was my company Sargent during the summer advanced camp was a LTC in the USAR IRR. He was at 17 years, saw an announcement looking for a Reserve officer for 3 years of active duty as the commander of a college ROTC unit and applied. I saw him that fall when my unit visited his school. He was a LTC and the commander.

The Army used to be big on having the stellar enlisted guys hold reserve commissions in the IRR. It gave them their war time platoon and company commanders if a big expansion was needed.

Hmmm, interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess it really made sense with the Army. The onl yguy I know personally that did the O to E route, and never having been an E before to boot, was a USAF guy that got RIF's in the early 90's and somehow stayed in as an E-5. At his promotion to E-8 the USAF one star who was promoting him said he had never seen anyone do that before or since.