• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR

brybea

Good Evening Air Warriors,

I am interested in pursuing a commission in the Navy, I have spoken to an officer recruiter who recommended that I take the OAR exam in two weeks. I am interested in all communities, as my main interest is to serve in some capacity whatever that may be. I have been out of college for about two years, and was curious about what is involved with OAR. My recruiter said that it involves a math section, a mechanical comprehension section and a reading comprehension section and how well you score is a determining factor in what community is available and if you are even qualified for a commission. The recruiter also mentioned that there is not an official study guide available to prepare for it. Is there anybody who has taken the OAR recently and if so, what was the difficulty, how did you prepare and is two weeks not enough time to prepare for it? Any information would be grateful.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Good Evening Air Warriors,

I am interested in pursuing a commission in the Navy, I have spoken to an officer recruiter who recommended that I take the OAR exam in two weeks. I am interested in all communities, as my main interest is to serve in some capacity whatever that may be. I have been out of college for about two years, and was curious about what is involved with OAR. My recruiter said that it involves a math section, a mechanical comprehension section and a reading comprehension section and how well you score is a determining factor in what community is available and if you are even qualified for a commission. The recruiter also mentioned that there is not an official study guide available to prepare for it. Is there anybody who has taken the OAR recently and if so, what was the difficulty, how did you prepare and is two weeks not enough time to prepare for it? Any information would be grateful.

Search around here, there’s an entire ASTB section that will likely answer your question.

Whiskeyrice

I took it twice. The first time I studied maybe one guide and did some online research. I scored 46, which isn't great. I took it a second time and after about a week of hardcore studying multiple guides I improved mine to 53. That isn't amazing, but it was more than enough to be qualified for the IP and Intel designators, which are the only two I'm interested in myself.

I'd recommend studying. Though there may not be an "official" guide, there are a variety of those out there and I have found depending on the authors background is what the content was focused on. Some of them had a lot of math, others lots of science type stuff. I didn't need help on the reading comprehension portion so I ignored that piece.

Shore up your basics. Know Geometry well enough to find angles, probability and the different methods of determining the probability of something, how hydraulics and water pressure work, how electricity works through a circuit and the different pieces in there (resistors, capacitors, etc.), know how wheels and pulley systems work.

You only get three chances. It'll be a bit different each time you take it too. Good luck!

I took it twice. The first time I studied maybe one guide and did some online research. I scored 46, which isn't great. I took it a second time and after about a week of hardcore studying multiple guides I improved mine to 53. That isn't amazing, but it was more than enough to be qualified for the IP and Intel designators, which are the only two I'm interested in myself.

I'd recommend studying. Though there may not be an "official" guide, there are a variety of those out there and I have found depending on the authors background is what the content was focused on. Some of them had a lot of math, others lots of science type stuff. I didn't need help on the reading comprehension portion so I ignored that piece.

Shore up your basics. Know Geometry well enough to find angles, probability and the different methods of determining the probability of something, how hydraulics and water pressure work, how electricity works through a circuit and the different pieces in there (resistors, capacitors, etc.), know how wheels and pulley systems work.

You only get three chances. It'll be a bit different each time you take it too. Good luck!
What were the multiple study guides that you used to improve your score?

Whiskeyrice

What were the multiple study guides that you used to improve your score?
There are several options on Amazon from various authors (they all kinda look/sound/& are priced the same) but an entire area on this site that can help too. None of the books I purchased were outstanding individually; but all had a few questions that popped up on the OAR itself.