• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O4 List

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I nerded out a little bit on cruise when sitting the ready 15 with no internet access except bupers. P-3 1310 select rate to O-4 was 50%. I think the 1320 rate was a little higher, something like 52%. I wish we had something like the Helo specific community brief for the VP world. I am hoping because the select rate was so low, the DH numbers will be higher. Been stressing for a couple of months and have to wait until July to see the list
There should be a VP/VQ community brief out there, probably is the networking to get your hands on it. One of the things I disliked about our community was how secretive those in our leadership were with info, especially with respect to orders and what the current stats were. I am sure with the upcoming MPRF Symposium or "Reunion" or whatever its called here in Jax shortly, that there will be community briefs put out.

There was a mistake a couple years ago, a certain XO put out the behind the scenes info with the "grades" on the DHs in the VP Fleet... needless to say that brief got forwarded at the speed of light, I think NMCI might have shut down to email volume when that got released "accidently"...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Admin screening "stamps" are supposed to be removed for the stat boards. SWO/SUB guys who served as DHs prior to the stat board certainly get the credit for that. Folks who have admin screened for XO or CO AFLOAT prior to a board, but have not yet served in that billet, are not supposed to have that screening briefed at the stat board. I am unaware of what happens in actuality - but given the heavy scrutiny placed on board proceedings I am confident the business rules are followed.
So how does each community ensure that it gets enough O-4s, or any other rank, to fill all of its billets? Also, how does it ensure that a guy who screened in an admin board doesn't get passed over for a guy who didn't?

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
I'll answer your second question first - there is no guarantee. A record that plays well for milestone screening will typically play well on the stat board. However, there are examples of this not working out. It happens.

The answer to your first question is also - no guarantee. However, there is normally enough promotions to cover down on all discrete requirements. Remember - the O-4 billet base covers all community discrete requirements as well as non-discrete requirements. New promotions almost always fill the discrete billet base first. I think the SUB community struggles the most with filling discrete requirements - small numbers + low retention.

NUFO06

None
Wow, that brief was informative. So this year would be a bad year to take the bonus if they are raising the ceiling from 25k to 35k a year for next year.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Wow, that brief was informative. So this year would be a bad year to take the bonus if they are raising the ceiling from 25k to 35k a year for next year.

That is NOT in the bag as it requires legislative action (statutory change). We want to have the larger bonus authority, but are having a hard time convincing DoD that it is a budget-neutral proposal.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
That is NOT in the bag as it requires legislative action (statutory change). We want to have the larger bonus authority, but are having a hard time convincing DoD that it is a budget-neutral proposal.
I'm curious if your opinion of the future more closely matches that of the linked Pers brief, or that of the white paper currently floating around?

ben4prez

pilot
Not sure this is the white paper y'all are referring to, but the attached is something making its way around (I got it from some guys in CVW-3). I showed it to my 4-star boss, and became VERY interested in its contents.

Attachments

• Navy Officer Manning White Paper.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 175

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some good points to be made there, but the idea that JOs will respect their Skippers less because their DHs make more due to the bonus? Absurd. IMO, a major reason people are not interested in pursuing command is due to the perception that, paraphrasing the late Neptunus Lex, command pins seem to come with remotely triggered explosive bolts these days.