• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O2 reservist receiving JPME 1 acquired from federal civilian admittance to NWC CDE?

Pags

N/A
pilot
It can be helpful for DoD government civilians too.
I guess I could see that for certain agencies/jobs. I work in acquisitions and have never heard of a civilian taking JPME courses* but DAU courses are the coin of the realm at work.

*doesnt mean it doesn't happen.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I could see that for certain agencies/jobs. I work in acquisitions and have never heard of a civilian taking JPME courses* but DAU courses are the coin of the realm at work.

*doesnt mean it doesn't happen.

DAU is the school of choice for acquisitions types?! Shocker! :D

For more 'normal' civie career tracks JPME, service schools (most SES's I know have been to a service school of some flavor) and other things like that are generally looked upon favorably and in some cases count for points in promotions.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I did the air force JPME and did a test a week. Never read the books just the gouge. Allpme.com it was like using Sheppard air test prep. It took 400 pages of book crap and turned it into 50 pages of questions and answers. Passing is a 70 on the multiple choice test with only 3 answer options (A-C)

I completed it back in 11 or 12 and I know they have made changes so YMMV.

jason0231

1835 USNR/IRR
I'm an O2 reservist and a GS-14 federal employee, so while I do not meet the rank requirements as a military reservist to take the Naval War College's College of Distance Education web-based JPME 1 program, I do quality to do it as a civilian and fully intend to do so immediately IF upon completion, I can send the certificate to the Navy and also receive my Navy JPME 1 certification. Does anyone have experience doing this or something similar? I'm not going to waste my time doing it right now as a GS-14 if I can't also apply it to the Navy upon completion. Thanks.

Looks like you got some pretty solid responses here, but FWIW I am in almost your situation exactly. I would not recommend communicating directly with NWC about your unique situation. Just take your courses as a civilian and file the certificates away until you make LT. Wait a few months and then update your record. PM me if you want to hear all of the details, but bottom line is you should not call attention to what you are doing since there are haters out there who might try to stymie/torpedo/otherwise mess with your plans.

jagM3

Looks like you got some pretty solid responses here, but FWIW I am in almost your situation exactly. I would not recommend communicating directly with NWC about your unique situation. Just take your courses as a civilian and file the certificates away until you make LT. Wait a few months and then update your record. PM me if you want to hear all of the details, but bottom line is you should not call attention to what you are doing since there are haters out there who might try to stymie/torpedo/otherwise mess with your plans.
Solid response, greatly appreciate it. It's not an issue unless I make it one -- words to live by. One question on that: There is no doubt that I would receive the JPME phase 1 credit and JS7 AQD after picking up O3 and submitting the certificates at such point in time, however would I also be receive the retirement points for them if I turn in a certificate for all 3 classes from JPME phase 1 with a date of 2017 on the certificate and it is 2019 (when I pin on O3) when I am submitting them to PERS for points?

jason0231

1835 USNR/IRR
I think that submitting for the points is always worth a shot. However ... based on what I have seen in my relatively short time with USNR as a SELRES, it is challenging -- not to say impossible -- to get full credit for correspondence courses. The barracks lawyer in me asks: if you try to earn retirement points for correspondence coursework that you are not technically eligible for (at least not as a USNR officer), do you run the risk of getting those points turned down? The answer is 'maybe.' So you may want to hedge your bets by taking additional correspondence courses in order to make sure you max out your points no matter what they tell you. Let me know if you need ideas for worthwhile correspondence courses. I have taken a few!

jagM3

I think that submitting for the points is always worth a shot. However ... based on what I have seen in my relatively short time with USNR as a SELRES, it is challenging -- not to say impossible -- to get full credit for correspondence courses. The barracks lawyer in me asks: if you try to earn retirement points for correspondence coursework that you are not technically eligible for (at least not as a USNR officer), do you run the risk of getting those points turned down? The answer is 'maybe.' So you may want to hedge your bets by taking additional correspondence courses in order to make sure you max out your points no matter what they tell you. Let me know if you need ideas for worthwhile correspondence courses. I have taken a few!
Thanks man. I'm transferring to the IRR relatively soon, so I wouldn't be submitting them for points through my local unit and instead would be submitting directly to PERS. Not sure if that will be a good thing or bad thing.

jason0231

1835 USNR/IRR
There are numerous posts here about earning correspondence course points in the IRR. Just do a quick search and you will get plenty of gouge. Good Luck!

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I just pulled my JMO Completion Letter from NWC. My Name/Rank/Social/Designator are on there. I think you'll get the points...you'll certainly get the credit for promotion consideration. I'm curious about your age...how are you a GS 14, but only an O-2. Medical?

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Solid response, greatly appreciate it. It's not an issue unless I make it one -- words to live by. One question on that: There is no doubt that I would receive the JPME phase 1 credit and JS7 AQD after picking up O3 and submitting the certificates at such point in time, however would I also be receive the retirement points for them if I turn in a certificate for all 3 classes from JPME phase 1 with a date of 2017 on the certificate and it is 2019 (when I pin on O3) when I am submitting them to PERS for points?

No...you'll only receive the points for the year dated on the completion letter. This one has been covered thoroughly and I'm pretty sure I'm right because I was dead wrong on it a few years ago. I thought I could complete classes, hang on to the completion certificates, and submit as needed to complete good years. Nope. You get credit for the year their completed in, only. And if you did too many points that year...too bad, their wasted and don't count at all.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
how are you a GS 14, but only an O-2. Medical?
Not uncommon, especially in the D.C. area. I have a buddy who is a GS14 and and O2 (IWC officer).

If I were the OP I would wait to put it into my record for a time when I needed it in a FITREP

I am not saying this is the case with OP, but I have noticed with some ReServe officers who blow their wad within the first 1 - 2 years of commissioning. I'm talking getting qualified in your designator in the first 1 - 2 years when you have 3 years to complete, or those who do that as well as get their IWO qual when they 5 years to complete it. Pace yourself. Save some of those nuggets for when you are an O3 and are "playing in traffic" and need differentiators. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

jagM3

I just pulled my JMO Completion Letter from NWC. My Name/Rank/Social/Designator are on there. I think you'll get the points...you'll certainly get the credit for promotion consideration. I'm curious about your age...how are you a GS 14, but only an O-2. Medical?
I'm an O2E.

jagM3

No...you'll only receive the points for the year dated on the completion letter. This one has been covered thoroughly and I'm pretty sure I'm right because I was dead wrong on it a few years ago. I thought I could complete classes, hang on to the completion certificates, and submit as needed to complete good years. Nope. You get credit for the year their completed in, only. And if you did too many points that year...too bad, their wasted and don't count at all.
So I understand what you're saying... the points would be effectively back-dated to the year on the completion letter/certificate. So lets say I complete JMO in 2017 and then turn the cert in for points to the IRR folks 2020... in 2020 they will go into my ASOSH and add whatever the point total was for JMO to my anniversary year from the date on the cert/letter?

Not too concerned about exceeding points, i'm just trying to hit 20 years any way possible and don't have time to max my points out.

jagM3

Not uncommon, especially in the D.C. area. I have a buddy who is a GS14 and and O2 (IWC officer).

If I were the OP I would wait to put it into my record for a time when I needed it in a FITREP

I am not saying this is the case with OP, but I have noticed with some ReServe officers who blow their wad within the first 1 - 2 years of commissioning. I'm talking getting qualified in your designator in the first 1 - 2 years when you have 3 years to complete, or those who do that as well as get their IWO qual when they 5 years to complete it. Pace yourself. Save some of those nuggets for when you are an O3 and are "playing in traffic" and need differentiators. Just my $0.02.
While some may look down upon me for this, I have enough prior service years active duty and 3,500+ points right now to just wait for my automatic promotion to O3E, get my 35 points for the next 5 years in the IRR, hit sanctuary, and then still retire as an O3E based on my 3 current good reserve years and ~10 years prior service time that my non-Mustang colleagues don't have and absolutely must get promoted to O4. Because I will be an O3E and not just a regular O3, the difference in the reserve pension between O3E and O4 with the same amount of points and 20 yrs of service is only a few hundred extra per month; The work I believe I would need to put in to guarantee selection to O4 just isn't worth the squeeze for me.

Perhaps completing the JPME Phase 1 now and just waiting until i'm an O3 to submit the certs to the Navy for processing of both points and the JPME Phase 1 AQD is the best strategy.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm curious about your age...how are you a GS 14, but only an O-2. Medical?
We actually had a 50 year old ENS in the reserves (supply officer). Prior E with enough years to make it to 20 before he got too old. "Had" just means he's a JG now.

Perhaps completing the JPME Phase 1 now and just waiting until I'm an O3 to submit the certs to the Navy for processing of both points and the JPME Phase 1 AQD is the best strategy.
They won't give you the retirement points unless you get the courses approved for points beforehand, and if they do give you points then it will be for your anniversary year(s) in which the completion date(s) fall for each of the courses. If you're enrolling as a GS-14, as opposed to enrolling as a commissioned officer in the reserves, then that is sorta exclusive of getting reserve retirement points.

You'll still get the specialty code in your record and brownie points for every promotion board ever after. It won't make a difference in your reserve career until you're at least an O-3, so in that sense there is no rush for you to get the stuff in your record.