• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O2 reservist receiving JPME 1 acquired from federal civilian admittance to NWC CDE?

jagM3

I'm an O2 reservist and a GS-14 federal employee, so while I do not meet the rank requirements as a military reservist to take the Naval War College's College of Distance Education web-based JPME 1 program, I do quality to do it as a civilian and fully intend to do so immediately IF upon completion, I can send the certificate to the Navy and also receive my Navy JPME 1 certification. Does anyone have experience doing this or something similar? I'm not going to waste my time doing it right now as a GS-14 if I can't also apply it to the Navy upon completion. Thanks.

subreservist

I would inquire directly with the NWC Distance Learning Dept, if for nothing else than to get the most current info. Even if someone here has experience with this, it may be different now.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If you get the diploma into your OMPF then that's all you really need to worry about as a reservist. It's NWC's rule that <O-3 won't be admitted to the program, but you're applying in your capacity as a GS-14, not as an O-2 reservist. To my knowledge, there isn't any Navy rule saying that one particular rank or another can't get credit for it if they've completed it.

FWIW, I know a Marine Major who was halfway through some version or another of JPME, got picked up by the Coast Guard as a DCO aviator--which by the CG rules made him a LTJG--and completed the JPME program after that transition. Unusual, but no big deal.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I did the Air Force distance JPME and you were supposed to be an O4. I was selected at that time but not wearing it so I just put O3 on the online application and it never seemed to be an issue. I wonder if you could just apply and see what happens. But to your actual question I don't know if it would count or not. Might be better answered from someone at Pers that puts stuff in your record.

jagM3

Is there a reason you want to do JPME as an O-2 or is it just for the points?
Like many things in the military, I don't want to do JPME at all, but it's a necessary box I need to eventually check and if I can do it now while I have some time on my hands, i'd rather just get it over with.

I've heard the Air Command and Staff College's web-based JPME 1 was the easiest/quickest JPME and am looking into that one vice the NWC CDE web-based JPME phase 1.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Like many things in the military, I don't want to do JPME at all, but it's a necessary box I need to eventually check and if I can do it now while I have some time on my hands, i'd rather just get it over with.

I've heard the Air Command and Staff College's web-based JPME 1 was the easiest/quickest JPME and am looking into that one vice the NWC CDE web-based JPME phase 1.
Right on. I did most of the NWC web based JPME a few years ago and didn't find it too onerous. I had tried the CD based course and said "no thanks" because of the different assessment methods. I'd rather write a paper than do a multiple choice test based on verbatim passages from the readings. My buddy did the AF one and not only did he do a lot of reading but there was a whole lot of "Air Power!" thrown in. I remember him struggling with buying off on the AF "company line" as a Naval officer.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I had tried the CD based course and said "no thanks" because of the different assessment methods. I'd rather write a paper than do a multiple choice test based on verbatim passages from the readings.

The CD-rom program was the only JPME I did, but I didn't find it too bad. There's only one multiple choice test and it was easy, the rest of the course was 4-5 page papers every few weeks. The OPORD section of the JMO section was a bitch though.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Can you post your findings if something comes up? I dont imagine you would have any issues but you never know.

jagM3

My only consideration to wait to do JPME 1 until i'm in the IRR is for the points. Does anyone know how many reserve points the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College's JPME 1 webbased program is worth?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor

Just be careful which program you are looking into as "Distance Learning through the Air University Air Command And Staff College (AU ACSC) is accredited for JPME I, however DISTANCE LEARNING THROUGH THE AIR WAR COLLEGE (the Air Force Senior College) IS NOT ACCREDITED FOR JPME I!!!" (Per NPC webpage).

subreservist

I have basically heard the same that AF JPME is easier and I don't know firsthand. But I would think it is only "easier" if you are extremely reading or paper-writing adverse. I really don't like the thought of searching through multiple reading to answer a test even with the use of keyword searches.

The NWC does do a couple of things that would scare ya off. I recall getting a huge box of books prior for Strategy and War and, as mentioned, the OPORD of JMO will appear daunting. However, I like that you can get paid for the pain via the 2 week Operational Support courses at Newport. I did the OPORD there and it was actually enjoyable working with other students in person and having mentors in the class to steer you along.

The papers are not that bad, as long as you keep it simple and you can do as much or as little reading as needed to get through the course.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Doing the OPORD by yourself was a pain but it only needed to be good enough to pass. Doing it in a group could be beneficial until you have a group that feels it need to be perfect and as real as possible. I think I did most of mine in an evening while drinking beer.

First rule of JPME: it's only a lot of reading if you do it. And most of the assignments do not require a mastery of the reading to pass*
Second rule: No one cares if you get an A++ or a B-; all that matters is passing.

*all jokes about reading aside I actually really enjoyed a lot of the historical reading you have to do and ended up reading most of the assigned readings in those texts. In fact I ended up reading several of the JPME books cover to cover.