• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nurse in AF or Navy? Active or Reserves? Help!

LyssaB

I work with a medic, who's actually a flight nurse for one of those helicopter-you-to-the-hospital outfits. He spent a few years active duty Navy as a nurse, and loved, LOVED every minute of it. He enjoyed the travel, the friendships, and did time on a ship, a shore hospital, and with the USMC. He felt like it was a fantastic experience--I know, because I think he's had a awesome career (both military and civilian) and I've referred two people to him. PM if you'd like me to send you his email address.

Thanks for the info!!!! How do i PM you???? I am new to this!

LyssaB

I am new to the Navy, and for my community (Information Warfare) and my age (37 at the time), doing a direct commission in the reserves was my only option. For healthcare professions, your options are very open. If you're not tied to a place, a job, or a family, doing an active duty stint wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I chose the Navy partly because a strong personal mentor of mine was a retired Naval Officer, and because the Navy had very attractive direct commission options for the reserves that no other service had. The Navy also has a very aggressive and forward-thinking posture on the information-related disciplines, now aligned under the Navy's new Information Dominance Corps. I also didn't want to relocate, and wasn't planning on leaving my civilian job -- so all of those things put together made the Navy Reserve the right choice for me.

When I did DCOIC in Newport, I met many nurses, all of whom were reservists. Some had prior service, some not, and everyone had different reasons for joining -- but ALL wanted to serve as Naval Officers. I talked with a lot of them, and most expressed satisfaction with their decision, though all were relatively new to the Navy (<1 year). The AF and Navy definitely have their differences, but I don't think you can go wrong with serving in any branch if it's service you're after. Naturally a lot of folks here are going to be partial to the Navy, and I just think there is no substitute for serving as a Naval Officer!

Das,
Thanks so much for all the info!!!!!!!! So went in to the reserves at 37 as well?? Wow, i'm impressed. I'm really not tied to anything or anyone (i do have a guy friend who is also in the AF). I wouldn't mind leaving the civilian aspect and even took a break from it. I'm told that if i start in reserves that it will be much harder to get into active after i finish my reserve stint. It's kinda weird cuz the AF and Navy will give a bonus for doing the reserves for 3 years but AF will only give that bonus if I commit to 4 years active. I'm like that's odd. If you have any other info please contact me. Thanks again and thanks for serving!!!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Ok, funny guy, well noted! Is that the only qualification......?
Bottom line, is that I know a few NN...here's a collective of how they feel (and yes, they are all hot):

As a Navy Nurse...you'll be asked to serve with the US Navy, Marine Corps, Army, and Air Force. The expertise that you bring will be used, and then you'll be asked to work in a field that you've never considered before. IE, if you're a pediatric nurse, you will get ER experience. If you're an ER nurse, you'll get surgical experience....they move you around to what they need and if you have ever had a chance to do a little of anything, you'll be used where you need.

I've served alongside of nurses that worked in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, keeping terrorists alive who have been hunger striking and I'm currently very close with a gal in Afghanistan taking care of our seriously injured troops...you'll never know what tomorrow will bring, but my God...that's what keeps us lovin' our daily lives...

In many ways, it's alot like being a pilot, which is what this website is about...but it's important what you do and it's amazing that there are those that are interested in serving like you are. DO it, don't go AF and you'll have a blast. If you don't love it, get out after a few years and you'll be better for saying that you've served along some of the most amazing sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen in the world.

(Bonus if you're a hottie)

LyssaB

Bottom line, is that I know a few NN...here's a collective of how they feel (and yes, they are all hot):

As a Navy Nurse...you'll be asked to serve with the US Navy, Marine Corps, Army, and Air Force. The expertise that you bring will be used, and then you'll be asked to work in a field that you've never considered before. IE, if you're a pediatric nurse, you will get ER experience. If you're an ER nurse, you'll get surgical experience....they move you around to what they need and if you have ever had a chance to do a little of anything, you'll be used where you need.

I've served alongside of nurses that worked in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, keeping terrorists alive who have been hunger striking and I'm currently very close with a gal in Afghanistan taking care of our seriously injured troops...you'll never know what tomorrow will bring, but my God...that's what keeps us lovin' our daily lives...

In many ways, it's alot like being a pilot, which is what this website is about...but it's important what you do and it's amazing that there are those that are interested in serving like you are. DO it, don't go AF and you'll have a blast. If you don't love it, get out after a few years and you'll be better for saying that you've served along some of the most amazing sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen in the world.

(Bonus if you're a hottie)

Thanks YOU for the encouraging information! That makes me feel better.. I'm just ticked I didn't do it sooner. What a waste. Single and no children at my age and all the time I could have been helping fellow soldiers.....I just look forward to it now!! Thanks for all the encouragement!

phrogpilot73

For the record, a good portion of the medical staff that goes on Comfort for Continuing Promise, Restore Hope, etc... Are reservists.

IRfly

None
In many ways, it's alot like being a pilot, which is what this website is about...but it's important what you do and it's amazing that there are those that are interested in serving like you are.

Spittin' mad game.

CAMike

None
Contributor
In addition, the NAVY Nurses have far superior camaraderie. Plus the NAVY nurses aren't afraid to show their pride.

Patch Nurse.jpg