• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nurse in AF or Navy? Active or Reserves? Help!

LyssaB

Hello,
Any Air Force or Navy Nurses out there to help me with questions regarding which to join and whether to do it Active or Reserves? Please offer any input. I want to serve but I also want to serve overseas and with variability. Thanks so much.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
You will probably have better luck going to a board specializing in nurses.

http://allnurses.com/government-military-nursing/

That said, I considered military nursing at one point, and it's similar to the difference between flying Navy or Air Force. The Air Force has by far the nicest medical facilities (as well as housing facilities and bases), while the Navy offers its officers more autonomy.

LyssaB

You will probably have better luck going to a board specializing in nurses.

http://allnurses.com/government-military-nursing/

That said, I considered military nursing at one point, and it's similar to the difference between flying Navy or Air Force. The Air Force has by far the nicest medical facilities (as well as housing facilities and bases), while the Navy offers its officers more autonomy.

Thank you! I have understood that AF has better treatment, facilities, bases, etc. And you are right I also hear Navy offers nurses a bit more autonomy! I went to allnurses.com but older threads just not too much so I was told to join this site.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
How about the peace corps?

But really, if you want to travel, the Navy definitely can definitely send you to some amazing locations. The Air Force can send you to . . .Minot, ND. Or, how about Grand Forks, ND? How about Idaho, or Alaska? Or, if you're super lucky, you might be able to spend some time in Oklahoma City. The endless opportunities to serve in exotic locations with the Air Force always shocks me.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Or, if you're super lucky, you might be able to spend some time in Oklahoma City. The endless opportunities to serve in exotic locations with the Air Force always shocks me.

The Navy can send you here, too bro. I don't know about nurses, though

LyssaB

Thanks guys, I feel WORSE. Yeah, I was told about those locations. But seriously, I'm just at a point where I just want to make a change and use nursing to help my country. One of the recruiters told me she had to choose between Idaho and Massachusetts and she chose Idaho!! Ok, so where are you guys? I would be coming in as an officer and just not sure if i should do active (which keeps me in one place for 3-4 years) or reserves seems more flex as you can move on your own and change duty stations and also volunteer to deploy or to go active duty reserve. Any thoughts!!??

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The Navy can send you here, too bro. I don't know about nurses, though

I actually thought to myself "I bet one of the EA-6 guys will see this and say something about OKC." In all fairness, there are worse places to be. Though, I will caveat that by saying there are also much better places to be.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
If you're going to do it, go active. Your initial tour won't be too long, and you can really decide if the Navy is for you. I don't know how the detailing for the nurses works, but you can probably work to get a duty station you want, and have the opportunity to get on a ship and see the world for a couple of years. Or, you may get stuck doing something more mundane. You'll never know until you apply.

Just my $.02

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
1- Join the Navy - our ice-cream vendor unis look better than AF Greyhound bus driver duds
2- Do your 1st tour or two and then decide whether to stick for 20 or more
3- If you get out, join the drilling reserves & complete your 20 there (the eagle dumps monthly when you reach 60)
4- This advice is worth what you paid for it

LyssaB

If you're going to do it, go active. Your initial tour won't be too long, and you can really decide if the Navy is for you. I don't know how the detailing for the nurses works, but you can probably work to get a duty station you want, and have the opportunity to get on a ship and see the world for a couple of years. Or, you may get stuck doing something more mundane. You'll never know until you apply.

Just my $.02

That's what i was thinking too, go Active. I am 37 yo and don't have too much time to play with i suppose. I'm just thinking my initial tour would be really around my same area probably and I would be stuck for 4 years. Although, I am interested in deploying! It just seems like AF doesn't have as many hospitals as Navy. You are right I could get to see the world as well. I also know with reserves it gives me more flex and can choose to go active as long as there is a billet? Some even say you can remain active reserve as long as there are openings. I even know someone who has remained active duty reserve entire career!!! What do you know about that. Thanks for your continued help.

LyssaB

1- Join the Navy - our ice-cream vendor unis look better than AF Greyhound bus driver duds
2- Do your 1st tour or two and then decide whether to stick for 20 or more
3- If you get out, join the drilling reserves & complete your 20 there (the eagle dumps monthly when you reach 60)
4- This advice is worth what you paid for it

hahaha, thanks for your help. I initially was gung ho Navy but everyone says AF treatment/facilities are top notch. Hmmmmm....

das

Contributor
Well, here's a plug for the reserve: if you go reserve, you can live wherever you want, and you'll drill at the closest applicable Navy healthcare facility, even if you have to travel a bit. Even if you travel for drill, you'll never be forced to move somewhere by the Navy; that's the big benefit of the reserve. The time commitment -- both initial and ongoing -- is a lot less. You have a two-week school (DCOIC) you'll attend in Newport, RI, to acclimate you to the Navy. You can still volunteer for mobilizations/deployments.

If you join and go active duty, you'll do a five-week initial school (ODS) in Newport, RI, and you'll be assigned a duty station based largely on the needs of the Navy, with some input from yourself. You'll get the "Big Navy" experience, a lot more exposure to military life, and more opportunities to serve earlier -- but you'll also commit yourself to the military for a period of time, whereas you have more flexibility with your own life -- and of course, having civilian employment, etc. -- in the reserves. It's really a personal choice.

I don't really know if I buy the whole AF treatment and facilities being "better" across the board; it sort of depends on what you're talking about, where you are, and what you're doing. You've already decided you want to serve -- now decide whether you first want to be a Naval Officer or an Air Force Officer. That's the important part of the decision!

LyssaB

Well, here's a plug for the reserve: if you go reserve, you can live wherever you want, and you'll drill at the closest applicable Navy healthcare facility, even if you have to travel a bit. Even if you travel for drill, you'll never be forced to move somewhere by the Navy; that's the big benefit of the reserve. The time commitment -- both initial and ongoing -- is a lot less. You have a two-week school (DCOIC) you'll attend in Newport, RI, to acclimate you to the Navy. You can still volunteer for mobilizations/deployments.

If you join and go active duty, you'll do a five-week initial school (ODS) in Newport, RI, and you'll be assigned a duty station based largely on the needs of the Navy, with some input from yourself. You'll get the "Big Navy" experience, a lot more exposure to military life, and more opportunities to serve earlier -- but you'll also commit yourself to the military for a period of time, whereas you have more flexibility with your own life -- and of course, having civilian employment, etc. -- in the reserves. It's really a personal choice.

I don't really know if I buy the whole AF treatment and facilities being "better" across the board; it sort of depends on what you're talking about, where you are, and what you're doing. You've already decided you want to serve -- now decide whether you first want to be a Naval Officer or an Air Force Officer. That's the important part of the decision!

Hey DAS,

Thanks for the great descriptive. That is the beauty of the reserves, you are right. I'm just at a point in life where I'm just not enjoying much of civilian life. I'm single at 37, no children, etc. Unfortunately, the comraderie in the nursing profession seems to lessen. Just from active duty and reservists (recruiters) just the relationship building and sense of family is there. That's something I want to be a part of all the while serving. It's funny, cuz there are things i really like about AF (chance to do flight nursing) and Navy(hospital ship, a myriad of hospitals, and just being near the water). Makes my decision tough! Are you in the Navy by chance?? Please tell me about your experiences, even if you aren't a nurse! Do you have any connections to any nurses that would have input? Thanks so much!

das

Contributor
I am new to the Navy, and for my community (Information Warfare) and my age (37 at the time), doing a direct commission in the reserves was my only option. For healthcare professions, your options are very open. If you're not tied to a place, a job, or a family, doing an active duty stint wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I chose the Navy partly because a strong personal mentor of mine was a retired Naval Officer, and because the Navy had very attractive direct commission options for the reserves that no other service had. The Navy also has a very aggressive and forward-thinking posture on the information-related disciplines, now aligned under the Navy's new Information Dominance Corps. I also didn't want to relocate, and wasn't planning on leaving my civilian job -- so all of those things put together made the Navy Reserve the right choice for me.

When I did DCOIC in Newport, I met many nurses, all of whom were reservists. Some had prior service, some not, and everyone had different reasons for joining -- but ALL wanted to serve as Naval Officers. I talked with a lot of them, and most expressed satisfaction with their decision, though all were relatively new to the Navy (<1 year). The AF and Navy definitely have their differences, but I don't think you can go wrong with serving in any branch if it's service you're after. Naturally a lot of folks here are going to be partial to the Navy, and I just think there is no substitute for serving as a Naval Officer!

I work with a medic, who's actually a flight nurse for one of those helicopter-you-to-the-hospital outfits. He spent a few years active duty Navy as a nurse, and loved, LOVED every minute of it. He enjoyed the travel, the friendships, and did time on a ship, a shore hospital, and with the USMC. He felt like it was a fantastic experience--I know, because I think he's had a awesome career (both military and civilian) and I've referred two people to him. PM if you'd like me to send you his email address.