• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nuke to pilot help

Stockmeyerdylan

Im 18 fresh out of high school got a 93 on my ASVAB. Signed for navy nuc back in June of 2016 set to ship April of 2017. I really want to become a pilot and officer. I thought the nuke pipeline could help get me there the quickest. I need some direction on what and when to apply to these programs.

Stockmeyerdylan

Im just looking for a possible route to take; like applying for sta 21 pilot or core after A school, NPS or prototype. Or whether i should complete my bachelors degree through NCPACE with Thomas Edison State University then apply to OCS or is there a better way?

croakerfish

pilot
Im just looking for a possible route to take; like applying for sta 21 pilot or core after A school, NPS or prototype. Or whether i should complete my bachelors degree through NCPACE with Thomas Edison State University then apply to OCS or is there a better way?

Not a prior, but I did do OCS. Long story short, you've got a lot of gators closer to the boat than getting to OCS and flight school. As a Nuke, you've got a lot of very intense training and a demanding sea tour ahead. You'll want to stay focused and kick butt. Once you get a degree and put in for OCS your evals will be a big source of info for the board, so do your part to make them look good.
As far as getting a degree goes, STA-21 is awesome if you can get it. One of my good buddies got his degree remotely through Embry-Riddle and applied for OCS after 6 years. He wasn't a nuke, but he made First Class in that time so he obviously wasn't slouching. I wouldn't even consider worrying about getting started on this until you get through all your training, get to the fleet, and get qualified. If your first operational command decides you're a no-load, it won't matter what else you do right.
Good luck, the good news is you have time on your side.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Not a prior, but I did do OCS. Long story short, you've got a lot of gators closer to the boat than getting to OCS and flight school. As a Nuke, you've got a lot of very intense training and a demanding sea tour ahead. You'll want to stay focused and kick butt. Once you get a degree and put in for OCS your evals will be a big source of info for the board, so do your part to make them look good.
As far as getting a degree goes, STA-21 is awesome if you can get it. One of my good buddies got his degree remotely through Embry-Riddle and applied for OCS after 6 years. He wasn't a nuke, but he made First Class in that time so he obviously wasn't slouching. I wouldn't even consider worrying about getting started on this until you get through all your training, get to the fleet, and get qualified. If your first operational command decides you're a no-load, it won't matter what else you do right.
Good luck, the good news is you have time on your side.

Seems like most STA-21 selectees nowadays are enlisted Nukes going the Nuke Officer pipeline, which is why I was iffy even mentioning it.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, I'll bite. Rufio and OR, how binding is his contract if he hasn't shipped yet? Pretty sure that he can get out of it?

To the person who actually did this. For future reference, if you have goals, no shit goals, not dreams out in the field, then you should research them. I'm not sure where, or who, told you that going nuke was a good way to become a pilot, but I am sure of one thing, they were blowing smoke up your ass as sure as this is a run-on sentence. If being a pilot in the Navy is your goal, then go to school, not the Navy right now. I don't care what your grades were in HS, college is the quickest way to become a pilot.

If your grades sucked in HS, then there are other options. I would start with community college, hell I'd recommend that anyways. Unless you've got mommy and daddy to pay for college there's no reason to go to a four year institution, ivy leagues excepted. It's cheaper, and take all courses that directly transfer to a college that you want the diploma from.

Bottom line is this, get out of your enlistment, Rufio and others can confirm, because four or five years down the road it'll be easy to explain if you do well. If not, you probably wouldn't have gotten picked up for a STA-21 program anyways. I can't begin to explain why STA-21 is not a good option, it goes in to a lot of detail and I don't really feel like doing that right now, but trust me. When the first response is smh. . . you should know that you done fucked up in your planning.

TLDR: Dump the contract and go to college, 3-4 years from now start applying for OCS.

exNavyOffRec

Okay, I'll bite. Rufio and OR, how binding is his contract if he hasn't shipped yet? Pretty sure that he can get out of it?

To the person who actually did this. For future reference, if you have goals, no shit goals, not dreams out in the field, then you should research them. I'm not sure where, or who, told you that going nuke was a good way to become a pilot, but I am sure of one thing, they were blowing smoke up your ass as sure as this is a run-on sentence. If being a pilot in the Navy is your goal, then go to school, not the Navy right now. I don't care what your grades were in HS, college is the quickest way to become a pilot.

If your grades sucked in HS, then there are other options. I would start with community college, hell I'd recommend that anyways. Unless you've got mommy and daddy to pay for college there's no reason to go to a four year institution, ivy leagues excepted. It's cheaper, and take all courses that directly transfer to a college that you want the diploma from.

Bottom line is this, get out of your enlistment, Rufio and others can confirm, because four or five years down the road it'll be easy to explain if you do well. If not, you probably wouldn't have gotten picked up for a STA-21 program anyways. I can't begin to explain why STA-21 is not a good option, it goes in to a lot of detail and I don't really feel like doing that right now, but trust me. When the first response is smh. . . you should know that you done fucked up in your planning.

TLDR: Dump the contract and go to college, 3-4 years from now start applying for OCS.

Not sure of if the OP is ready to go to college, maybe going nuke is a good option but he needs to have a plan, get through nuke pipeline, get 2 year from Excelsior college then find a way to get the other 2 years done, oh and don't STAR re-enlist so he can get out at 24/25 and have time to finish up if needed.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Not the best gouge right there...

As @NavyOffRec said and what I would like to add, there's many more important details we don't know about the OP. Maybe he's coming from a broken home or just doesn't have the desire/motivation at the moment to attend college. If that's the case, going the Nuclear Field option isn't such a bad plan after all.

For the OP, go through Nuke School and work on getting your bachelors. For aviation, it can be any bachelors degree. I wouldn't bank on STA-21 since most selected nowadays are sent to the Nuclear Officer pipeline. If you can't get your degree while active duty, get out and use the GI-Bill.

Telling someone you don't even know to break his contract is bad precedent. If I was this guy's recruiter and heard someone from the internet is trying to have my applicant leave DEP, I would be PISSED.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^
I understand where you are coming from as a recruiter yourself. However, I would give you 5 to 1 odds that he contacted an enlisted recruiter and said "I want to be a pilot" and the recruiter never even discussed anything other than enlisting now. The enlisted recruiter probably saw his chance to not only fulfil his quota but to get a Nuke enlistment in the process. Do you really think the OP was referred to an officer recruiter to discuss those possibilities? I doubt it.

exNavyOffRec

^
I understand where you are coming from as a recruiter yourself. However, I would give you 5 to 1 odds that he contacted an enlisted recruiter and said "I want to be a pilot" and the recruiter never even discussed anything other than enlisting now. The enlisted recruiter probably saw his chance to not only fulfil his quota but to get a Nuke enlistment in the process. Do you really think the OP was referred to an officer recruiter to discuss those possibilities? I doubt it.

Most OR's wouldn't bother to talk to him if he had no college or at least a 2 year degree, every enlisted recruiter works for an OR who is there DIVO.

The OP signed up right out of high school, so that indicates that he really had no plans to go to college or he would have been getting ready to go to whatever college he was going to head to.

Not every person has the means to go to college out of high school, not every person is ready to go to college out of high school.