• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Going away in API?

jtmedli

pilot
Probably too many in a pool waiting to start, not enough in the pipeline.

That's the gist of it. A-pool is down to about 20 people (give or take) and those of us heading to VTs are classing up very quickly. I've had a little over a month between leaving API and classing up with VT3 for primary and I had one of the longer wait times in C-pool (2 weeks).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
That's the gist of it. A-pool is down to about 20 people (give or take) and those of us heading to VTs are classing up very quickly. I've had a little over a month between leaving API and classing up with VT3 for primary and I had one of the longer wait times in C-pool (2 weeks).

Wow, that grew. I classed up after 2 weeks of showing up to Corpus.

jtmedli

pilot
Wow, that grew. I classed up after 2 weeks of showing up to Corpus.

Whiting is a little more backed up than Corpus but not much. They just sent 2 whole API classes to Corpus (the ones that didnt have follow-ons) to get their pool stocked back up with SNAs.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There are a lot of ROTC guys checking in on June 3...I got orders for June 17, but I don't know how many others did. Academy grads on the 27th, but I'm not sure when their report dates are. I'm guessing that the arrival of all of us will fill up the classes, pools, beaches, and bars soon enough.

Too add onto all of this, they've canceled the Vance spots for quite a few classes. Not sure how long that will last. Basically (aka, speculation), API and Primary are running on fumes until the academy graduates and repopulates A-pool with 5 month long wait times. I found that out first hand. Was a shoe in for Vance, and then got told just a few days ago that I'm now slated for Corpus. Same thing happened to a few others in the classes behind mine.

And yes, NSS is next to non-existent at the moment. My class is picking up a handful that atrited due to low NSS at the end of this week. The even had to get reissued the flight gear they returned. For SNAs and NFOs, 80 gets you through. Marines still have the NSS though. I think they need an 85 average or something.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
API and Primary are running on fumes until the academy graduates and repopulates A-pool with 5 month long wait times.

Can't speak to API but in Primary many studs are on the one flight a week program because of a lack of airplanes, sims and instructors. At least, they are in VT-2.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Can't speak to API but in Primary many studs are on the one flight a week program because of a lack of airplanes, sims and instructors. At least, they are in VT-2.

wow, not in corpus. until my onwing got injured, I was being scheduled everyday, fams-bi-contacts. my roomamate is still scheduled everyday. only canceling for ceilings.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Heh, pendulum. Last fall Corpus guys were taking like a year it seemed like. Out in Las Cruces I did Contact Solo on a Thursday and was done with all of Aerobatics and Forms the following Friday.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AN ULTIMATE TRUTH:

Be at the top/near the top of your class ... & ... get what you want.

Otherwise ... ???

When has it EVER been any different ... ??? :)

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot

+1 Seems like every day half of my Primary class (VT-2) is on standby for Contact flights. Usually it's not enough instructors. I flew today and am scheduled to fly again tomorrow for once.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Basically (aka, speculation), API and Primary are running on fumes

Yeah, not so much... Theres a big push for getting Xs right now. Has been for the last year, They are cramming students into the VTs so they can attempt to pump them out faster. Vance produces so little in number of completers each year compared to Whiting and Corpus that their numbers really don't make a dent in the deficit.

jtmedli

pilot
Yeah, not so much... Theres a big push for getting Xs right now. Has been for the last year, They are cramming students into the VTs so they can attempt to pump them out faster. Vance produces so little in number of completers each year compared to Whiting and Corpus that their numbers really don't make a dent in the deficit.

Is there any reason for this big push? Does big navy need more pilots that badly?

Smirnoff

pilot
Got my orders on May 18 to report NLT June 3. WTF. Is this how the aviation community is? I will be there with my tooth brush and a change of underwear....Thats about it.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
Pretty much, I got my orders after winging on the next Wednesday, got packed out on a Friday, left on Sunday and was in San Diego on Tuesday.

So get used to having to move quickly