• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Going away in API?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It'll be like kindergarten...check mark "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory."

Honor grad gets a smiley face in the corner.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Pure Speculation here

But my guess is that NSS wont be going away, more likely that they would get rid of the minimum NSS to continue training. Just a guess.

lowster

Could someone explain what NSS is? I take from the posts it is a grading system, but I thought they used it in Primary to grade your flights. Grading for the tests in API as well?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Could someone explain what NSS is? I take from the posts it is a grading system, but I thought they used it in Primary to grade your flights. Grading for the tests in API as well?

NSS in simple terms: Your raw score on events compared to the last X amount of people in front of you and spit out on a scale that ranges from 20-80. 50+ is "jet grades" for Navy, 52+ for Marine Corps... Below 35 at the completion of training means you might not be winged or sent off to advanced etc. They have them for both flight events and academics, including API.

jtmedli

pilot
NSS in simple terms: Your raw score on events compared to the last X amount of people in front of you and spit out on a scale that ranges from 20-80. 50+ is "jet grades" for Navy, 52+ for Marine Corps... Below 35 at the completion of training means you might not be winged or sent off to advanced etc. They have them for both flight events and academics, including API.

In even simpler terms: It's your average (of all your test grades) compared to everyone else's average. It's how you "stack up" against your peers.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
They changed the way they are calculating the NSS is the way it was explained to us. A bunch of people that were NSS'd out and were up for re-designation are now being given the opportunity to go back and complete API. Basically at this point, 80's get you through API.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
They changed the way they are calculating the NSS is the way it was explained to us. A bunch of people that were NSS'd out and were up for re-designation are now being given the opportunity to go back and complete API. Basically at this point, 80's get you through API.

You mean someone somewhere may have thought that it is stupid to attrite a Navy SNA who averages a 92 on all of their tests during API?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
You mean someone somewhere may have thought that it is stupid to attrite a Navy SNA who averages a 92 on all of their tests during API?

Funny how that works. Similar thing happened about a year after I finished API and now a bunch of my YG is being pushed a year on boards to supposedly cover the gap since the YG behind us is predicted to be too thin to fill all their DH slots.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
It's weird too, cause I've heard both that there are too many SNA's right now, and also not enough. Getting rid of the NSS requirement seems to jive better with the not enough.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's weird too, cause I've heard both that there are too many SNA's right now, and also not enough. Getting rid of the NSS requirement seems to jive better with the not enough.

Probably too many in a pool waiting to start, not enough in the pipeline.