• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC w/o the Scholarship

snake020

Contributor
I was recently told, as I'm getting my masters, that I was not eligible for the GI Bill because I was a 2 year scholarship :confused:

It depends on how much was used. If you used under $3400/yr after 2001 or under $2000 before, you retain GI Bill eligibility. This worked well at a state university in California.

mike172

GO NAVY
"There are 3 different scholarships in which you are competing at different times.
First Year:
First semester: 3.5 (PNS Leadership Scholarship..he only has one) and 3 year scholarship
Second semester: 3 year scholarship
Second Year: (first and second semester): 2 year scholarship."

This is not entirely the case, I do not know if things have changed or what. For instance at my unit 3 of us applied at the same time (end of first semester, Freshman year, ie. running for 3 yr scholarships) One got a 2.5 year, Another guy got a 2 year, and another guy got a 3 year. We all thought we were applying for 3 yr, but as it turns out all got a different number of years paid for.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It depends on how much was used. If you used under $3400/yr after 2001 or under $2000 before, you retain GI Bill eligibility. This worked well at a state university in California.

My last year was $3000k for the year. Regardless, the ladies at the desk didn't look at a thing when they told me I wasn't eligible. I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, they don't know jack shit and didn't feel like looking it up. I'm going to cause a stink :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"There are 3 different scholarships in which you are competing at different times.
First Year:
First semester: 3.5 (PNS Leadership Scholarship..he only has one) and 3 year scholarship

This is not entirely the case, I do not know if things have changed or what. For instance at my unit 3 of us applied at the same time (end of first semester, Freshman year, ie. running for 3 yr scholarships) One got a 2.5 year, Another guy got a 2 year, and another guy got a 3 year. We all thought we were applying for 3 yr, but as it turns out all got a different number of years paid for.

I'm assuming you are all the same year and you are going to graduate at the same time?

That's definitely news to me. Sounds like maybe the NROTC program is going the way of the Air Force and Army ROTC.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Super Hornet 88

It happened to me too. I was going for the 3 year, and was awarded a 2.5 year instead. I was told the reason why I got the 2.5 year was due to a funding shortage....

But hey the Navy is paying for the rest of my time after the fall semester, so I can't complain.

mike172

GO NAVY
I'm assuming you are all the same year and you are going to graduate at the same time?

That's definitely news to me. Sounds like maybe the NROTC program is going the way of the Air Force and Army ROTC.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Yes we are all the same year as far as I am aware. I was told I did not get the 3 yr because I am not a tech major, cause my grades were better apparently. But thats how it goes.

sickboy

pilot
First Year:

That doesn't seem quite right about the 3.5 year scholarships. I think there were seven 3.5 years awarded last year at PSU, there were several more this year. Maybe it's a unit thing?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 3.5 Leadership Scholarship is usually a single scholarship that each NROTC CO can hold in his pocket and award as he sees fit. This is a UNIT selected scholarship and competition is only at the unit level vice nationally. Considering that the Navy ROTC has changed the way they award scholarship, you might be referring to 3.5 National scholarships.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
I just picked up a PNS scholarship last week after my first yr. Funny thing is it applies to my last (spring 08) semester, so the Navy will be giving me reimbursement for what I've paid. So somehow I got a 3.5 yr scholarship although I applied for a 3 yr :confused:
Anyone heard of this before?

(Not complaining...i'll take it)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just picked up a PNS scholarship last week after my first yr. Funny thing is it applies to my last (spring 08) semester, so the Navy will be giving me reimbursement for what I've paid. So somehow I got a 3.5 yr scholarship although I applied for a 3 yr :confused:
Anyone heard of this before?

(Not complaining...i'll take it)

Yup. Back in the day, I got picked up from College program my sophomore year and they covered my second semester for a total of a 2.5 year scholarship. Congrats!

Factory

Does anyone know if you can get picked up from AD Enlisted to NROTC with a felony conviction?? I looked for the instruction and couldn't seem to find any gouge and was wondering if anyone had any gouge??? And if so who you need to talk too??

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if you can get picked up from AD Enlisted to NROTC with a felony conviction?? I looked for the instruction and couldn't seem to find any gouge and was wondering if anyone had any gouge??? And if so who you need to talk too??
Didn't you ask this question already?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=440991&postcount=30

Later you said that you found the instruction.

Why do you want gouge, when you have the instruction?

What else do you want to know?

Factory

Didn't you ask this question already?

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=440991&postcount=30

Later you said that you found the instruction.

Why do you want gouge, when you have the instruction?

What else do you want to know?

I was interested in the NROTC route. I could not seem to find an instruction on the NROTC route. The OPNAVINST 1420.1A only has NROTC schools, nothing about NROTC (the program itself). The other post on the other forum was for OCS and any other program (other than ROTC).. Does anyone know the instruction number or do you just have to contact the schools ROTC Program itself and find out?? Thanks for the help.

Factory