• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC w/o the Scholarship

FlyNavy1225

Does anyone know exactly what you have to do to be in NROTC still if you did not get the scholarship the first year?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Does anyone know exactly what you have to do to be in NROTC still if you did not get the scholarship the first year?

you just fill out the form to sign up for the NROTC "College Program". contact the NROTC unit and they will get you signed up :)

IrishEagle85

I'd recommend getting the phone number for the unit, whereever you're going to, and talk to one of their LT's.

But yeah, you'll pretty much show up and sign some papers, and you'll be a college option. And if your physical fitness scores are good, GPA is decent, and if you're involved in your individual battalion, there's a good chance you'll pickup a scholarship at your junior year.

drucifer

I was wait-listed for a year; there were over 15 mids who didn't get picked up for the four year from the start. Most of us picked up a three year scholarship at the beginning of sophomore year. A couple picked it up half-way through freshman year. Others got a scholarship their junior year. Everyone who stuck it out picked one up. In general, the few who didn't get the scholarship neglected their grades (were averaging below a 3.0) and didn't work out (poor PT scores).

Just remember, grades and PT will always be more important than your level of participation in the ROTC "extras" - Drill Team, being BnCO, attending every volunteer activity. But have fun and good luck! It's a fun time!

LivinMyDream

pilot
Just remember, grades and PT will always be more important than your level of participation in the ROTC "extras" - Drill Team, being BnCO, attending every volunteer activity. But have fun and good luck! It's a fun time!

Grades will be most important, and your PT scores will show your commitment to physical fitness and the standards the Navy has. But your participation and leadership are EXTREEMLY important. I would show up to everything (be seen!), participate, have fun, and try to have a leadership role in one of those activities. Volunteer for the little extras, and get noticed. That is what gets you on the radar (and sets you apart), because with the grades and the good PRT scores, you will stand alone at the top of the pile when they select who gets the scholarship.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
unlike the Army ROTC scholarships, Navy ROTC scholarships for 2yr and 3yr are nationally competed. so don't forget you are being compared not only to the ppl in your unit but to all applicants across the country. i'm just pointing this out because if the ppl in your unit aren't performing well in general, it may not be enough to just be a little bit better than them.

EDIT: i'm sure that the NROTC unit staff will give you detailed advice on how to win a 2yr or 3yr scholarship when you are signed up for the college program! from everything i've read on the internet, they get very happy when their ppl win more of these scholarships! :D for example:
http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2005&itemno=784

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Be motivated, get good grades, things will work out.

Looking back at my graduating class in NROTC, I think half of the people commissioned with me didn't have scholarships their Freshman year. It's not uncommon to pick one up before Sophomore year, but you need to have the credentials for it.

mike172

GO NAVY
I just picked up a scholarship. I did not have a 4 yr. You will do everything that everyone else does. There is no difference between you and someone with a 4 yr scholarship. Good grades are key. Also a letter from the CO with your package doesent hurt. So don't be a sh!tbag, stay out of trouble and get good grades and I would almost guarantee you get one. The only difference would be the later you get your scholarship the more time you have to complete the required calc and physics classes. I'm talking if you don't get it in your first two years. Get it after the first year and the deadlines are pretty much the same. Talk to your NROTC advisor he/she is the one who will send your package off. They have the info. Good luck.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Be motivated, get good grades, things will work out.

Looking back at my graduating class in NROTC, I think half of the people commissioned with me didn't have scholarships their Freshman year. It's not uncommon to pick one up before Sophomore year, but you need to have the credentials for it.

Of my class, only 2 out of 12 middies who graduated started out w/ scholarships. On the other hand, the majority of drops were folks who came in with scholarship. The difference was motivation. You should have a very good chance of picking up scholarship at the end of your 1st year if your grades are solid....especially if you take care of calc and maybe get started on physics freshman year. Being a tech major tends to speed up the process from what I have seen.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm an older fart, NROTC 93 grad who went CP my first two years and picked up a 2 year NROTC scholarship. There is always hope.

MasterBates

I'm an older fart, NROTC 93 grad who went CP my first two years and picked up a 2 year NROTC scholarship. There is always hope.

You too can aspire to be a terminal LCDR COD Driver! :icon_smil
(I keed, that is my career aspiration as well)

snake020

Contributor
Four year scholarships are overrated. Two year under the cap so you can get the GI Bill is the way to go.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You too can aspire to be a terminal LCDR COD Driver! :icon_smil
(I keed, that is my career aspiration as well)

Well, I was trying to keep it positive :) I'm not yet passed over (well, maybe), just don't know yet. Afterall, I'm only 99% sure I'm passed over....so there's a chance :p I prefer to think of myself as a T-34C driver for now as well. The COD thing is so yesterday.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Four year scholarships are overrated. Two year under the cap so you can get the GI Bill is the way to go.

I was recently told, as I'm getting my masters, that I was not eligible for the GI Bill because I was a 2 year scholarship :confused:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a bit more involved with participating as a College Program student. Contact the unit and get your required paperwork completed early. Participate in the Freshman Orientation, which usually takes place the week before school starts. Freshman Orientation is designed to get you all your uniforms and get you up to speed with all the other Midshipmen (How to march, how to wear your uniform and how to address your fellow/senior MIDN and officers).

Like others stated above, you are competing Nationally against all other college program students for a scholarship. What you did in High School has no bearing on your scholarship. What your do IN COLLEGE and NROTC will help you get a scholarship.

There are 3 different scholarships in which you are competing at different times.
First Year:
First semester: 3.5 (PNS Leadership Scholarship..he only has one) and 3 year scholarship
Second semester: 3 year scholarship
Second Year: (first and second semester): 2 year scholarship.

If you do not get a scholarship (or advance standing*) prior to the beginning of your Junior year, you can no longer participate in the NROTC.

*Advance Standing: Get paid a monthly tax-free stipend all year long, but you continue to pay for school and books. This is a guarantee to get a commission when you graduate.

Several things go into your scholarship package:

1. Academic Major: Technical majors get preferential selection over non-tech degrees. Does that mean that non-tech MIDN don't get scholarships? NO, non-tech major MUST get a much higher GPA (>3.8) then non-tech majors to be considered competitive.

2. GPA: You need at least a 2.5 or better to be nominated for a scholarship. You need a 3.0 or higher to be competitive. With GPA, the difficulty of classes taken are also reviewed. Am I saying you should take CALC, Physics, and Chemistry your first semester? NO. Take one hard class along with GEN ED courses. The NROTC recommends that you study 2 hours for every credit hour. If you are taking 15 credits, then you should be studying/completing homework for 30 hours per week to get good grades.

3. Aptitude: These scores will come from your participation in the NROTC via your MIDN Fitness Report (FITREP). These FITREPS are submitted by your MIDN chain of command and finalized by your NROTC Advisor. Be involved, but not to the point where it affects your grades. Most of the NROTC activities your freshman year will add about 15 hours per week. This includes Physical Training (PT: all hands exercise), Drill/Lab, and clubs/groups.

PT will count as part of your Aptitude score, but if you cannot pass the PT test, then you cannot be submitted for a scholarship. Strive to get a Good High score or better.

4. CO's Ranking: The CO will rank all his scholarship nominees and this will help the board break out the top students.

Bottom line is that college with NROTC is a FULL TIME JOB (60+ hours per week). Take it seriously if your really want it.

Hope this helps.

-ea6bflyr ;)