• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Uniforms

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
So I wanted to poll the other NROTC units out there and anyone else who cares. The uniform in question is SDB jacket, whether worn and service dress, full dress, or dinner dress. Should OC's wear large gold plain anchors on the lapel of the jacket.

I'm curious about two things, (1) what other units are doing? (2) how everyone else interprets the Uniform Regs.

Here is what I read:
Article 6101.6 outlines the requirements for Officer Candidates sleeve (embroidered five point gold stars), Article 6106.10a states "Coat collar insignia consists of plain gold anchors indicating midshipman status..." Most of Chapter 6 is extremely clear in differentiating between the status of Officer Candidates and midshipman, therefore I read this to mean NOT Officer Candidates.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
OCs wore them at my school. I think one raised the point and our CO said "noted. now wear the damn anchors and shutup." probably wasn't worth it, in hindsight.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What does OCS do? Or do they ever wear SDBs?

Regardless I have never seen an OC without anchors.

Stick

pilot
We are wearing the Eisenhower, but do have the option to wear the SDB jacket. I do not know of any plans to wear the anchors. Believe me I asked many questions about acceptable variations in the uniform we will wear. The way I read the uniform regs is that the anchors is for the MIDN not us OC's, but what do I know. That is up to the CO.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
OC's at OCS wear dress uniforms once or twice and have the label anchors on them. They leave wonderful snake bits that never go away.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
OCs at UW-Madison did not wear the anchors, ever. It became a small point of contention at one point, but a decision to change it was delayed long enough that it was forgotten about, and all was well. Our reasoning to not wear them was the exact snake bites that Tom talks about. The fact that we wear the same SDBs that we will have in the fleet was enough reason for them to allow us not to wear them.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Same here WRT anchors on SDB's. MIDN wear the anchors, OC's do not ever.

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
Stupid question...what is the snake bite remarks?? Because it leaves the holes in the jackets?? Sorry again for the probably stupid question

Lomax

I'm at the University of Washington and OC's don't wear anchors here. As for snake bites, yeah it's the holes

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not a good reason because then MIDN shouldn't have to wear the anchors either. I have the same SDBs I wore as a mid and given how little I'll be wearing them, I'm not exactly about to go buy a new set. Also, I'm pretty sure candidates at OCS wear them too.

The chapter says you wear them. The sleeve insignia is what distinguishes you as an officer candidate as opposed to having the class stripes like a mid.