• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC to BDCP

maxlife

I am a 4/c college programer that is unsure of getting a 3 or 2 year scholarship has anyone here gone from being in ROTC to BDCP? Has a year or 2 of ROTC been a help in getting a BDCP slot. Thanks for any input.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
If you can hack paying for college if with NROTC I would stick with it if you don't get a scholarship right away. You will learn way more about the navy and about being an officer than just getting a pay check to go to college under BDCP.

BDCP is a good program if it is your only option, but as far as training officers NROTC or USNA is the way to go.

NavyLonghorn

My buddy tried to switch from ROTC to BDCP. He didnt get in. The way he explainined it, the swap is only allowed if you havent been taking money from the ROTC folx yet.

If you want to hedge your bet, no reason not to do college program and then coincidentally shoot for a BDCP slot. If the BDCP deal doesnt work out.. you still have a pretty decent shot at getting a pilot slot through your unit.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I was thinking about doing bdcp the summer before my junior year; the summer I would find out about advanced standing. I was debating on whether to take the chance to drop rotc and go after a bdcp slot (I had to drop rotc, because if I got advanced standing, I would not be eligible due to what navyvance said). The timeline was right on the edge. If I dropped rotc and didn’t get bdcp slot, then I would have been really screwed. So I made the choice to stick it out with rotc and thank GOODNESS I did.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
bch said:
BDCP is a good program if it is your only option, but as far as training officers NROTC or USNA is the way to go.

Be careful with statements like these. This is nothing more than a personal opinion. Many have made the argument (and it is a very VALID argument), that getting commissioned via OCS is the "way to go" (this is how you would get comissioned if you did BDCP). OCS produces it's equal share of fine officers, and in some instances, more than it's share. Ocs graduates are known for their military bearing and attention to detail.

I made the choice 2 years ago to do BDCP over ROTC, and it is without at doubt the best decision i've ever made. Not only is the clock for my retirement ticking now, but when I commission, I will be an O-1 over 3 years, vs the ROTC grads that will be an O-1 <2 years. Resultantly, I will be getting paid a substantial amount more than they will. Look up the difference on milpay yourself. I believe it is over $500 a month (and that is just as an ensign).

Furthermore, I made an honest appraisal of what I wanted to do during my college years. For me at the time, college was about getting grades, and having a good time. You don't get back these years. ALL A BDCP'ER HAS TO DO DURING COLLEGE, IS MAINTAIN A 2.7 AND STAY IN SHAPE. That's it.

Not to mention, $2200 a month (after taxes) of money you can do whatever the hell you want with while your in college. For me, I decided to get my skydiving license and 200 jumps, my scuba diving license and become a master diver, and my private pilot and instrument license. Not to mention going on cruises, travelling to Australia/Europe/Asia during the summers I have off, or shooting out to Vegas with some friends for a weekend. Ask someone in ROTC or the academy if they have that kind of income and time to do things like that.

When I get done with my homework early on a M/T/W/TH night, occasionally I go out to a bar with some friends and grab a margarita or two, or three, or go to a movie, party, or late night date and sleep in until my first class at 1 PM. What does my roommate (who is in NROTC) do? Stay in every night because he has to wake up for PT or an inspection at 0500 the next morning. Haircut requirements, drill, PT, inspections, musters, meetings, summer cruises (which CAN in some instances be a good time), extra ROTC classes and homework, and staff positions, are all things you WONT have to deal with on top of your average class load if you are a BDCP'er. Simply put, that translates in to more time to enjoy your college years. I wanted to tackle the hardships of earning a commission after college in four months, not stretch the agony out over what many call the best four years of their life.

Personally, I feel that both programs are equally legitimate, great ways to earn a commission. I wanted you to just see the BDCP side of things since the argument for ROTC has already been made. There are many advantages to the ROTC program. In the end it's just a matter of what you think is best for you. Good luck in making your decision.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
...and there it is.

Before this turns into another all out ROTC vs. OCS vs. USNA fagfest, I just want to add, regardless of commissioning source, you'll learn the most about being an officer once you actually get to the fleet.

Now I'm gonna run for cover.

maxlife

Sorry I didn't mean to start a debate about the best way to commision. I was just wondering if a couple years as a CP was an advantage in the BDCP selection process.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
av8ok, you're fine. Keep asking your questions.

Godspeed, in some ways you're right, but overall you're exaggerating the demands of ROTC. Many on the boards can make arguments for AND against which is better, but in the end, it doesn't matter. If people really want to argue this point, start it in another thread or take it to PMs. Otherwise, answer av8ok's questions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
av8ok, you're fine. Keep asking your questions.

Godspeed, in some ways you're right, but overall you're exaggerating the demands of ROTC. Many on the boards can make arguments for AND against which is better, but in the end, it doesn't matter. If people really want to argue this point, start it in another thread or take it to PMs. Otherwise, answer av8ok's questions.
Shampoo is better. It goes on first and cleans the hair. No, conditioner is better. It makes the hair silky and smooth.

Brett

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
gatordev said:
If people really want to argue this point, start it in another thread or take it to PMs. Otherwise, answer av8ok's questions.

You and BCH started it. :icon_tong