• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC service selection question

mid1510

I understand the needs of the navy, as well as nuke gets 1st selection, that is out of the our hands. However like stated above major does have an affect on the OOM placement. There are plenty before me on this forum who also disagree with your gouge, but you seem to be dead set on your views and I'm sure you will make a great NFO . I'm going to end this bickering now.

Dude, you're going back and forth. First you say that I'm "plain wrong" and that major plays a big role. And then you say "major, although very slight" plays a role . Which one is it? The fact remains, major does NOT matter in the grand scheme of things. That is why you see history majors in Pensacola and not all Aero majors.

What does it matter anyway, your profile says you're an engineering MANAGEMENT major. Tier 3.

And if the NFO comment was a dig at my first choice service assignment, I really hope that I never have to fly with someone with your attitude.

And I think I'll end the bickering now.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Dude, you're going back and forth. First you say that I'm "plain wrong" and that major plays a big role. And then you say "major, although very slight" plays a role . Which one is it? The fact remains, major does NOT matter in the grand scheme of things. That is why you see history majors in Pensacola and not all Aero majors.

What does it matter anyway, your profile says you're an engineering MANAGEMENT major. Tier 3.

And if the NFO comment was a dig at my first choice service assignment, I really hope that I never have to fly with someone with your attitude.

And I think I'll end the bickering now.

Engineering Management is tier II so check your sources. and NFO comment is not a dig, just a good luck and farewell .

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
We were just briefed on the service ASSIGNMENT rather than service SELECTION mindset for midshipmen going through the process this spring. Appears that someone selected for the Nuke community felt that purposely failing his interview would give him a better shot at being re-designated into his desired community. The 3 star did not agree. =]

I think I heard of that particular case. Naval Reactors (NR), a four-star, personally interviews all nukes (SUB, SWO-N, NP INST). It behooves anyone to treat NR with all the respect due his rank and position...plus the fact that he is a career warfighter and accomplished leader. With that in mind, it is still an interview regarding a member's future career and I would expect anyone assigned to interview to be open and upfront with the Admiral...and respectful.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/scholarship_criteria.aspx

Check your sources. Engineering management is not on the Tier 2 list.

BTW, Admiral Donald (naval reactors) is a 4 star, not a 3 star...

It was designated a tier 2 at our unit and you minor in a tier 1 field. Not all possible majors from all NROTC schools are listed in the tier selections. For example Ohio State has a Aeronautical Major (literally just becoming a pilot) and it was considered a tier 1 major by their unit. Unusual stuff, but its out there.

mid1510

Quit now then, you WILL (if you make the cut).

You obviously have A LOT of fleet time and have seen a lot, but when I was on cruise I saw that (in VFA/VAW) they both really respected each other. I saw that roughly half of the hinges were FO's and either the XO or the Skipper was a FO.

The guys that had any sort of comment were either A) joking or B)complete assholes who no one liked.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Maybe my info is outdated, but I'm seeing some bad gouge about the 'nuke draft'. The nuclear Navy is an all volunteer force, last I checked. They can 'draft' you and force you to go on the dog and pony and do the nuke interview, but they can't force you to sign on the dotted line and go nuke. My buddy got pulled for nuke. He went on the tour, took the interview seriously (this is key---don't act like a dickhead or blow off the interview), but respectfully said that he wasn't interested and that he really wanted to fly. As a result, they did the right thing and set him up for 1390, which he was more than qualified for. Now he's inducing helmet fires from the backseat of a T-45.

When I came out of ROTC four years ago, if you did well in a technical major and you showed some kind of interest in nuke (listing it as a second or third choice on your dream sheet), you usually got tapped.

For all intents and purposes, major DOES NOT matter. Stop bickering over CO rankings and all that bullshit. GPA and ASTB are your money makers. That being said, you're not going to get f'd for having a slightly lower GPA because you decided to challenge yourself and take physics or electrical engineering. Those determining your fate understand that thermodynamics is some hard shit, and intro to water color painting is not. There is, however, a flip side to this. Just because you're an engineer doesn't mean that you can have an atrocious GPA. This will not fly.

ASTB can be a dream maker or a dream killer. I graduated with a 2.7 in business, partly because I love girls and beer, and partly because I'm functionally retarded in the world of academia. Had I not scored a 9/9/9 on the ASTB and scored a 3/3/3 instead, I'm not so sure I'd be flying right now.

Really though, there's no sense in losing your mind over this major business. Just get some good grades, put a ton of effort into that ASTB, and all will be well.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You obviously have A LOT of fleet time and have seen a lot, but when I was on cruise I saw that (in VFA/VAW) they both really respected each other. I saw that roughly half of the hinges were FO's and either the XO or the Skipper was a FO.

The guys that had any sort of comment were either A) joking or B)complete assholes who no one liked.

Anytime you begin a debate with a senior O-4/O-5ish aviator with the line "when I was on (middie) cruise..." you are probably wrong. Just some friendly advice from a guy who saw that his middie cruise perceptions of Naval Air were quite different than reality. As a reference point, there are no FO's/WSO's in my community, and there are varying degrees of love for the dual anchor crowd, right or wrong.

mid1510

Anytime you begin a debate with a senior O-4/O-5ish aviator with the line "when I was on (middie) cruise..." you are probably wrong. Just some friendly advice from a guy who saw that his middie cruise perceptions of Naval Air were quite different than reality. As a reference point, there are no FO's/WSO's in my community, and there are varying degrees of love for the dual anchor crowd, right or wrong.

Definitely not trying to debate, that's why I said he obviously has more experience than me (being a VF/VFA pilot with multiple combat tours). Sorry if I came off that way.

But yea, I understand. It's all good though, I could really care less if some people don't think FOs are important (which wasn't the point of this thread anyway).

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Maybe my info is outdated, but I'm seeing some bad gouge about the 'nuke draft'. The nuclear Navy is an all volunteer force, last I checked. They can 'draft' you and force you to go on the dog and pony and do the nuke interview, but they can't force you to sign on the dotted line and go nuke. My buddy got pulled for nuke. He went on the tour, took the interview seriously (this is key---don't act like a dickhead or blow off the interview), but respectfully said that he wasn't interested and that he really wanted to fly. As a result, they did the right thing and set him up for 1390, which he was more than qualified for. Now he's inducing helmet fires from the backseat of a T-45.

When I came out of ROTC four years ago, if you did well in a technical major and you showed some kind of interest in nuke (listing it as a second or third choice on your dream sheet), you usually got tapped.

For all intents and purposes, major DOES NOT matter. Stop bickering over CO rankings and all that bullshit. GPA and ASTB are your money makers. That being said, you're not going to get f'd for having a slightly lower GPA because you decided to challenge yourself and take physics or electrical engineering. Those determining your fate understand that thermodynamics is some hard shit, and intro to water color painting is not. There is, however, a flip side to this. Just because you're an engineer doesn't mean that you can have an atrocious GPA. This will not fly.

ASTB can be a dream maker or a dream killer. I graduated with a 2.7 in business, partly because I love girls and beer, and partly because I'm functionally retarded in the world of academia. Had I not scored a 9/9/9 on the ASTB and scored a 3/3/3 instead, I'm not so sure I'd be flying right now.

Really though, there's no sense in losing your mind over this major business. Just get some good grades, put a ton of effort into that ASTB, and all will be well.

Good gouge. Sounds like your buddy did the right thing. You are correct in stating that the Nuke Navy is an all-volunteer force. Also, they WILL meet their accession targets. To that end, expect them to go high on interview numbers.

I can (almost) guarantee that if someone pegs a triple 9 on the ASTB they will be headed to Pensacola. Triple 3 is below mins - you definitely would not be flying right now. Congrats!